Thread: NHL give USA Hockey 8mil grant.... What about Canada?

NHL give USA Hockey 8mil grant.... What about Canada?

http://theworldofjuniorhockey.blogsp...-from-nhl.html

Where is the grant for Hockey Canada? USA Hockey is improving their system, at the same time using the Canadian system (CHL) to improve their players. Meanwhile, all these benefits will put professional careers for prospects in the AHL, NHL.

Where does Canada fit into all this? Where does a country that once had a fair amount of teams in the NHL, it's cities win continuous cups, have a junior league that benefited all Canadians, and once filled AHL spots more than the Americans, it seems it's going to the other way.

Americans are filling more AHL spots, more Americans are being drafted in the top NHL Draft rounds, Americans can now play in the CHL and in the Memorial Cup with American teams, they have new initiatives to improve their system along with grants from the NHL, American teams always win the Stanley Cup. Well?

Why is the NHL granting the USA Hockey money, I hope there is a grant for Hockey Canada. It would only be fair no?

While the Americans improve their system and everything like the Russians are, why should Canada be used as a crutch to accomplish USA hockey development?

In the long run, I doubt Canada, Canadians will be benefiting from any improvements in their system, or families who can barely afford to keep Canadians in the game.

Someone make this clear, why all these rapid improvements at the benefit for the American system, while the Canadian system seems to be 'in the way' or 'an advantage'. That's the way I see it?

Someone explain this to me or something I don't know.
    Last edited by kun; 29-04-2009 at 10:18.

This will be purely a business decision. Nothing that the NHL could do will make it's league any more penetration in Canada. However, they need to increase the number of non-Canadian players in the league to increase the marketability of their league in those countries. The US is the most obvious candidate for a market that has significant untapped potential, and this move will be to address that.

Ultimately, this is a business decision, so fair doesn't come into it.

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---
    "Night Watch", Terry Pratchett

You got it right Graham, it's a business decision: Canada is quite simply a small market for the NHL. And we've seen that they don't much care for small markets, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    You got it right Graham, it's a business decision: Canada is quite simply a small market for the NHL. And we've seen that they don't much care for small markets, right?
    This is conversely aggravating and even adds more fuel to the fire in my questions.

Graham if it's an NHL decision, it's probably a right one, as a business decision, but this is the NHL we're talking about here, they are synonymous for poor business decisions.

USA Hockey will waste the money anyway, but it begs a question. The NHL can give $8m for the Americans, but they won't sign a transfer deal with the European talent pipelines?
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

Another example of the American hand of Bettman. I wish Taveras would pull a Lindros in the draft and go to a team like Toronto just to stick it to him.

Ummmm most NHL teams are in the States. Does Canada realy need a shot in the arm when it comes to hockey ? The only time Americans care about hockey is when it comes to the olympics. Still pretty chump on Bettman's part.

Thread Information