View Poll Results: Who will win between Russia and Canada?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Russia (E1) will win

    27 51.92%
  • Canada (F1) will win

    25 48.08%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 51 to 81 of 81

Thread: GOLD MEDAL GAME, Russia vs Canada

  1. #51
    IHF Member A L E X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    244
    Congrats my Russkies!!! So proud of the Russians winning the gold medal for now the second consecutive year. Also slightly happy that they did it against Canadians, just because Canada has dominated over the Russians in many of their previous meetings. That being said, what a great game it was to watch! Kovalchuk was so funny during the Russian anthem at the end of the game

    Congrats to Russia!!! Hopefully they can do it again next year when it REALLY matters

  2. #52
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Posts
    1,187
    „HOCKEY IS WHERE WE LIVE

    Life is just a place where we spend time between games”

  3. #53
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    576
    Quote Originally Posted by streethawk View Post
    Yeah but their two best players Kovalchuk and Bryzgalov played in the NHL. And How many KHL players do you think Russia will have in Vancouver???? Very few.
    I think you have wrong about the team in the Olympics, I think Russia will have 12-14 players from KHL, they will most likely have the World champion team from IHWC 2008 in Canada and bring in Malkin and Datsyuk. Its not about to have most Allstarplayers on a team its about to have the best team. Russia have in the past have allstarteams from NHL like in the 2000 IHWC but have faild nowdays Russia insted of bring in allstars build a team strong enouth to take gold.

    The new Russia will allways built its team around its KHL players but bring in its finest players from NHL like Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Malkin, Semin and Datsyuk. The top russian players from KHL have shown in two championship they are on par whit the top players from NHL. NHL have a higher overall level but the top players in the russian nationalteam from KHL are as good as the top players from NHL.

  4. #54
    IHF Staff Piotrek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Tarnowskie Góry
    Posts
    5,960
    Congrats to Russia, great game by Bryzgalov. Roloston wasn't as well as I expected. Russians played very effective, and they have second gold in a row. Olympic tournament could be unforgettable and I hope it will.

  5. #55
    IHF Staff Piotrek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Tarnowskie Góry
    Posts
    5,960
    Idnividual awards:
    MVP - Ilya Kovalchuk
    GK - Andrei Mezin
    DF - Shea Weber
    FW - Ilya Kovalchuk

    Media All Stars:
    Andrei Mezin - Shea Weber , Kenny Jonsson - Ilya Kovalchuk , Martin St. Louis , Steve Stamkos

  6. #56
    IHF Member andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Yaroslavl, Russia
    Posts
    407
    We Russians must say thanks alot Canada, you was great as always, see you in Vancouver ol' chaps!

  7. #57
    IHF Member rusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Rezekne
    Posts
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I think you have wrong about the team in the Olympics, I think Russia will have 12-14 players from KHL, they will most likely have the World champion team from IHWC 2008 in Canada and bring in Malkin and Datsyuk. Its not about to have most Allstarplayers on a team its about to have the best team.
    I also doubt that they'll just dump KHL guys and go for an all-NHL roster. Bykov has created the team that can win and he won't give it away just to have more NHL players. Yes, there will be more NHL players in the Olympics team but about 10-12 KHL players will still be there because Bykov creates the team around them and adds NHL only there where he sees that the NHL guy can really benefit the team. It's like with any European hockey league team that you bring only such foreigners (NHLers) that are really stars and by a considerable degree better than KHL (your) men.

  8. #58
    IHF Prospect
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    25
    Great game by Russia, the stats don't really tell the full story, Canada outshot russia more then two to 1 but that is the difference in style. Canada shoots at the goal at every opportunity, Russia passes until it gets a good shot. As a result Canada shoots a lot but most of those shots would only go in if there was no1 in the goal. Russia does not shoot a lot but almost every one of those shots is a real challenge for the goalie. Brysgalov is a good goalie but he is not great, the flurry of easy shots gave him confidence thou and he did make a couple great stops. Russia dominated the first period but got scored on first. Second period was a bit of back and force and third period Russia let Canada attack but defended effectively allowing only few real chances, deserved win by Russia.

    Its weird but Russia had to play catch up in almost every single game in this tournament, I think they only scored first on France Germany and Latvia, but they fought back to win every single game. With Canada coming in to the finals it was a different story they came in to the finals having won 7 games where they led from the get go and never had to fight back the deficit and lost the only game where they went down a goal.

  9. #59
    IHF Prospect
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    25
    Oh and I also think that in Olympics we will see at least half the team from KHL. I would expect them to get Ovechkin, Malkin, Semin, Datsuk, Gonchar, Fedorov, Kovalchuk, Nabokov, Khabibulin from NHL and the rest from KHL.

  10. #60
    IHF Member Fotorobot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Voskresensk, Russia
    Posts
    92
    Great match, great passion, that is all for what we love this game!!!!
    All russian cities were celebrating this win )))))) taking into account that today's monday is a holiday ))))

  11. #61
    IHF Member Fotorobot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Voskresensk, Russia
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by asmo View Post
    Oh and I also think that in Olympics we will see at least half the team from KHL. I would expect them to get Ovechkin, Malkin, Semin, Datsuk, Gonchar, Fedorov, Kovalchuk, Nabokov, Khabibulin from NHL and the rest from KHL.
    I think instead of Khabi there will be Varlamov

  12. #62
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    3,119
    As much as I cheered for Russia, I have to say that Canada played better, in my opinion. There were periods of time when Russians simply could not get out of their zone and had to save themselves by icing the puck and change the shift.

    Congratulations to Bryzgalov on the excellent game and the rest of the team on very disciplined play.

  13. #63
    IHF Member Fotorobot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Voskresensk, Russia
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by Drax View Post
    As much as I cheered for Russia, I have to say that Canada played better, in my opinion. There were periods of time when Russians simply could not get out of their zone and had to save themselves by icing the puck and change the shift.

    Congratulations to Bryzgalov on the excellent game and the rest of the team on very disciplined play.
    the same was in Canada's zone. When such rivalries happen it's usual

  14. #64
    IHF Member Karsten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Northern Zealand (in Denmark)
    Posts
    11,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Drax View Post
    As much as I cheered for Russia, I have to say that Canada played better, in my opinion. There were periods of time when Russians simply could not get out of their zone and had to save themselves by icing the puck and change the shift.

    Congratulations to Bryzgalov on the excellent game and the rest of the team on very disciplined play.
    Both teams had their moments. Russia was the better team in the first period. If it hadn't been for Roloson who made several incredible saves, Canada could easily have found themselves down in a hole. 2nd period was a reversal. Here, Canada was clearly the better team, and time after time, Bryzgalov saved the struggling Russian defense. In the third period, Russia played a tactical close-to-perfect defensive game, always looking for the counterattack that could prove decisive for the game. Here, Russia accomplished was Canada didn't managed to do in last year's final.

    Though Russian hockey has always been associated with offensive hockey, there have been rare occassions where USSR played a very defensive game in the final. One such occassion was the final in 1978.

  15. #65
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Millsboro, DE, USA
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by Karsten View Post
    Though Russian hockey has always been associated with offensive hockey, there have been rare occassions where USSR played a very defensive game in the final. One such occassion was the final in 1978.
    That is the fundamental assumption, but I have always viewed Russian hockey as the best expression of "puck control hockey" over the last 30 years.

    As a side question, what do you anticipate the KHL to do during the 2010 Olympics, continue play or take an Olympic break?

    Cheers
    Last edited by Cubanpuckstopper; 11-05-2009 at 21:43. Reason: spelling on two words

  16. #66
    IHF Member Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Turin, Italy
    Posts
    2,991
    IIHF has an international break so there is nothing to discuss.
    My articles at The Hockey Writers

  17. #67
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Millsboro, DE, USA
    Posts
    181
    Sorry, I'm thinking like a North Ameican.

    The NHL will play a full schedule on Frbruary 13th and 14th, 2010. expected travel is on February 15th, perhaps the 14th for some as far as recall, hockey begins on February 16th, 2010.

    To me that puts a lot of pressure on Olympic players, and leaves little time to work with their country's team, depending on how early your teams starts competition. To me it doesn't show a lot of respect for the Olympics.

    We can discuss this later, for the celebration of back to back championships should continue.

  18. #68
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    111

    Russia

    Quote Originally Posted by Cubanpuckstopper View Post
    That is the fundamental assumption, but I have always viewed Russian hockey as the best expression of "puck control hockey" over the last 30 years.

    As a side question, what do you anticipate the KHL to do during the 2010 Olympics, continue play or take an Olympic break?

    Cheers
    KHL will take a break during the 2010 Olympics.

  19. #69
    IHF Member kun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Karsten View Post
    In the third period, Russia played a tactical close-to-perfect defensive game, always looking for the counterattack that could prove decisive for the game. Here, Russia accomplished was Canada didn't managed to do in last year's final.

    Good eye, and this is why Lindsey Ruff should never have coached this team. He has no experience and tactical nuance. I never liked him, but always believed in the professionalism and skill as a team, but even a unit of excellent players needs guidance and direction.

    Also, the POLL, Canada was leading, now people are still voting after the fact Canada lost. LOL! You're suppose to vote before the game starts....

  20. #70
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    111

    Russia

    Quote Originally Posted by Drax View Post
    As much as I cheered for Russia, I have to say that Canada played better, in my opinion. There were periods of time when Russians simply could not get out of their zone and had to save themselves by icing the puck and change the shift.

    Congratulations to Bryzgalov on the excellent game and the rest of the team on very disciplined play.
    Its depends what do you understand under "to play better".
    To make more chances?
    To make the most shots?
    To play more offensive?
    or to can defend good? and to be very efficient?
    Russian were more efficient and could very good defend - It was the key for the success.

  21. #71
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    111

    Russia

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    The new Russia will allways built its team around its KHL players but bring in its finest players from NHL like Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Malkin, Semin and Datsyuk. The top russian players from KHL have shown in two championship they are on par whit the top players from NHL. NHL have a higher overall level but the top players in the russian nationalteam from KHL are as good as the top players from NHL.
    You are right. At least the half of team will be from KHL.
    I hope that best scorers of KHL like Morozov, Moziakin etc. can more convince in the Olympic .

  22. #72
    IHF Member Karsten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Northern Zealand (in Denmark)
    Posts
    11,637
    Quote Originally Posted by kun View Post

    Also, the POLL, Canada was leading, now people are still voting after the fact Canada lost. LOL! You're suppose to vote before the game starts....
    Yes, good laugh and good point. Those who makes the polls should ALWAYS make sure that the deadline for voting expires when the tournament start - otherwise the polls become meaningless.

  23. #73
    IHF Staff Steigs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    8,141
    Quote Originally Posted by kun View Post
    Good eye, and this is why Lindsey Ruff should never have coached this team. He has no experience and tactical nuance. I never liked him, but always believed in the professionalism and skill as a team, but even a unit of excellent players needs guidance and direction.
    I can tell you don't like Lindy Ruff, you keep calling him a girl!
    Lindsey?

  24. #74
    IHF Prospect kol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    at home
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I think you have wrong about the team in the Olympics, I think Russia will have 12-14 players from KHL...

    The new Russia will allways built its team around its KHL players but bring in its finest players from NHL like Ovechkin, Kovalchuk...
    Thank you for support. But that's too optimistic. Rus OG team is gonna have 5-10 khl players including extras who might not even play.
    But you are right it's not happening often that non-NHL team wins WC.
    Btw why so many pro-russian posts from you? I appreciate it.

  25. #75
    IHF Member Tyrfingr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kungälv, Sweden
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I think you have wrong about the team in the Olympics, I think Russia will have 12-14 players from KHL, they will most likely have the World champion team from IHWC 2008 in Canada and bring in Malkin and Datsyuk. Its not about to have most Allstarplayers on a team its about to have the best team. Russia have in the past have allstarteams from NHL like in the 2000 IHWC but have faild nowdays Russia insted of bring in allstars build a team strong enouth to take gold.

    The new Russia will allways built its team around its KHL players but bring in its finest players from NHL like Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Malkin, Semin and Datsyuk. The top russian players from KHL have shown in two championship they are on par whit the top players from NHL. NHL have a higher overall level but the top players in the russian nationalteam from KHL are as good as the top players from NHL.
    Im not too sure about that. If the other countries put their very best on the ice it would be the true stress test for the KHL players. Can't really compare the teams from this years WC to the Olympic roosters.

  26. #76
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    3,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Barmaley View Post
    Its depends what do you understand under "to play better".
    My personal impression during the game, nothing you could statistically measure. Simply, when the team wants to get the puck out of its territory, but can't due to opponen'ts superior skating and stickhandling, then I have the impression that the team with the puck played better, but eventually lost. Such things do happen in sport.

    I watched both finals and I definitely liked last year's Russia more than this one.

  27. #77
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    576
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrfingr View Post
    Im not too sure about that. If the other countries put their very best on the ice it would be the true stress test for the KHL players. Can't really compare the teams from this years WC to the Olympic roosters.
    I think the Canadian and the Russian teams in the 2008 IHWC final are very close to the teams they will ice in Vancouver in strenght.

    In the dark ages for Russian hockey 1994-2006 the tried alot of times whit allstar teams but they faild some times big and the rest of the times they only faild. Fantastic players but not team players. Its now way Bykov will change his strategi for the Olympics.

    It will be a 3 team battle on the paper, Canada, Russia and Sweden will have the strongest teams on paper but Czech. Republic, USA and Finland will allso be strong enough to win the gold. I think the playoffs in Vancouver will be the best tournament since Canada Cup 1987. And it can in the end be a surprise.

    Every one think of a Canada vs Russia final or maybe Sweden against Russia or Canada but I think we can have an american upset. USA have become stronger for every year.

  28. #78
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    111

    Russia

    Quote Originally Posted by Drax View Post
    My personal impression during the game, nothing you could statistically measure. Simply, when the team wants to get the puck out of its territory, but can't due to opponen'ts superior skating and stickhandling, then I have the impression that the team with the puck played better, but eventually lost. Such things do happen in sport.
    I watched both finals and I definitely liked last year's Russia more than this one.
    Russia played several times offensive to offensive for example 2005 in Wien 1/2 final against Canada or 2006 in 1/4 final against Czech and unfortunately lost.

    I watched the play again today and noted that at least 3 obvious penalties were overlooked by referees although they were quite near.
    1) The cross checking against Saprikin by C.Philips / referee stood 2 meter away, overlooked the obvious penalty - in the 1st
    2) Heatley beat Kovalchuk with the high stick in the face / referee stood 2 meter away and didn't give obvious penalty - in the 2nd
    3) The goaltender Roloson dived after the crash with Zinoviev. Instead to give Roloson 2 min for diving, Zinoviev was sent out penalized for 2 min. - in the 2nd
    Additionally a lot of dirty checks by Weber after the stopping of game by referee.

    I think that is the answer why can arise the impression that Canadian were "better" then Russian.
    Last edited by Barmaley; 12-05-2009 at 23:58.

  29. #79
    IHF Member kun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    I can tell you don't like Lindy Ruff, you keep calling him a girl!
    Lindsey?
    Well I don't like the Sabres. You know MTL-Buff Rivalry... but I can't stand how much he stunk in both finals. Why him? Sheesh.... I expected someone of better calibre.

    What's your opinion on him Steigs. He was just a bench warmer.

  30. #80
    IHF Prospect
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    3
    Лучшие моменты потрясающего поединка финала ЧМ 2008

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-TewFVoUrI

  31. #81
    IHF Member kiki20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Zagreb
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Razorvashka View Post
    Лучшие моменты потрясающего поединка финала ЧМ 2008

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-TewFVoUrI

    I cheered for Russia because I am Ovi and Semin Fan but at the end I was sad because Canada lost.They had better game and lead of 3-1.What a game that was

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •