Thread: Hungarian prospects

IHF Member

Hungary Hungarian prospects

I wanted to start this thread a bit later with more detailed infos about players, but life has other ideas, which I don't mind at all.

NEMES Benjámin signed a three-year contract with Djurgardens IF, as the website of the club announces.

Nemes started ice-hockey in MAC Népstadion at the age of six, after 3 season he went to Budapest Stars. In the last seasons he played in different Slovakian leagues as well. Last season he played in HK Lokomitiva Nové Zámky in the Slovakian U18 1. Liga and also in HK 99 Ruzinov Bratislava in the U18 Extraliga, where - as an U16 player - he scored 14 goals and 18 assists on 21 matches. He was member of the Hungarian U18 National Team this year on the Division I. WCH in Minsk and finished third in the overall scoring rank.

IHF Member

Sebők Balázs

14 year old SEBŐK Balázs signed a 1+5 year contract with Finnish Kärpät Oulu. Sebők was the top scorer of the Hungarian U16 championship (choose "Összes" and click OK) with 51goals and 41 assists on 26 matches. Together with his line-mate Nagy Krisztián, he carried the team on his back. In October 2008 Kärpät invited him for tests. As it was successful, he got an other invitation from Oulu to play on three test-matches in this april. He played on matches against first league teams, and scored 1+2 on the first, 1+3 on the second and 2+1 on the third match. This convinced the club and Sebők will start the next season in Kärpät. If both parties are satisfied after the first year, they can sign a five-year contract.

Sebők started ice-hockey nine years ago, and during this period the young trainer, MARTON Tibor was always one of his coaches. In the recent years the finnish Kalle Valiaho and the swedish Ari Greus also coached him at his hungarian club MAC Népstadion.

Kerusz:

I just finished translating the same article.

For future reference, in the link above Tormentor posted a link to the Finnish league schedule.

IHF Member

Kocsis Ferenc

14 year old KOCSIS Ferenc goes to Lahti Pelicans. Kocsis played in the Hungarian U14 championship and scored 37 goals and 31 assists on 25 matches (13GP, 13G 12A in the playoff). Besides, he also played in the U16 championship where he had 13G and 16A on 17 matches.

He was the member of the Hungarian team on the 95 World Selects Invitational tournament in Prague and while the team lost all of its matches, he was selected to the all star team. After the tournament he received offers for scholarships to Canada, but he choose to stay in Europe.

Kocsis learned to skate five years ago at the age of 9, now he is 178cm tall and weighs 78kg, and is a strong and powerful forward.

IHF Member

Gőz Balázs

16 year old defensemen of Miskolc, GŐZ Balázs is heading towards the Junior team of Vienna Capitals.

He spent his first season among the seniors in the MOL Liga and OB I., and had one assist. He also played in the U18 championships, where he played on 17 matches and scored 6 goals and 4 assists. Earlier considered as a talented but lazy player, his attitude changed completely, and makes a lot of work individually as well. Until the very last moment he was a candidate for the U18 NT. He is probably the very first from the Miskolc club who got such an opportunity. Vienna Capitals coaches noticed him on a friendly match, then he took part on a test match and he convinced the Austrians.

He likes the physical play, the checkings, but he feels he have to improve his speed and concentration. He is going to live alone in Vienna, the only obstacle can be if they won't find an appropriate school for him, which I seriously doubt. If everything is going fine, he'll be in Vienna in August.

IHF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by kerusz View Post
    16 year old defensemen of Miskolc, GŐZ Balázs is heading towards the Junior team of Vienna Capitals.

He spent his first season among the seniors in the MOL Liga and OB I., and had one assist. He also played in the U18 championships, where he played on 17 matches and scored 6 goals and 4 assists. Earlier considered as a talented but lazy player, his attitude changed completely, and makes a lot of work individually as well. Until the very last moment he was a candidate for the U18 NT. He is probably the very first from the Miskolc club who got such an opportunity. Vienna Capitals coaches noticed him on a friendly match, then he took part on a test match and he convinced the Austrians.

He likes the physical play, the checkings, but he feels he have to improve his speed and concentration. He is going to live alone in Vienna, the only obstacle can be if they won't find an appropriate school for him, which I seriously doubt. If everything is going fine, he'll be in Vienna in August.
    Hmmm, if it wasn't Miskolc he comes from I'd seriously doubt joining the Caps is an improvement. Junior Capitals have laregely been neglected by the pro Caps in the past and Vienna youth hockey in general is in chaos and decline since there's a lot of problems between W-EV (the other "big" youth hockey club) and Junior Caps (fights about ice time, animosities between club officials and all that stuff). The miserably failed Team Wien project then added up to the disaster.

The only glimpse of hope is Caps boss Schmidt's assurance to make youth hockey a priority as soon as the third rink at Albert Schulz Halle is finished. Furthermore, the last season's U14 of the Junior Caps won the Austrian championship and thus can't be that bad (like the previous U17 team which was the rest of the rest that did not leave Vienna resp. quit hockey). As a part of this U14 team will play U17 next season young Balasz chances to play in a decent team is probably not so bad but imho he's taking a risk. Probably the best thing would be to play like hell and try to move on soon ;-)

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RexKramer View Post
    Hmmm, if it wasn't Miskolc he comes from I'd seriously doubt joining the Caps is an improvement. Junior Capitals have laregely been neglected by the pro Caps in the past and Vienna youth hockey in general is in chaos and decline since there's a lot of problems between W-EV (the other "big" youth hockey club) and Junior Caps (fights about ice time, animosities between club officials and all that stuff). The miserably failed Team Wien project then added up to the disaster.

The only glimpse of hope is Caps boss Schmidt's assurance to make youth hockey a priority as soon as the third rink at Albert Schulz Halle is finished. Furthermore, the last season's U14 of the Junior Caps won the Austrian championship and thus can't be that bad (like the previous U17 team which was the rest of the rest that did not leave Vienna resp. quit hockey). As a part of this U14 team will play U17 next season young Balasz chances to play in a decent team is probably not so bad but imho he's taking a risk. Probably the best thing would be to play like hell and try to move on soon ;-)
    He also told in an interview that he thinks Caps Junior is not necessarily better than Miskolc but at least he will be better visible here.

14 year old SEBŐK Balázs signed a 1+5 year contract with Finnish Kärpät Oulu. Sebők was the top scorer of the Hungarian U16 championship (choose "Összes" and click OK) with 51goals and 41 assists on 26 matches. Together with his line-mate Nagy Krisztián, he carried the team on his back. In October 2008 Kärpät invited him for tests. As it was successful, he got an other invitation from Oulu to play on three test-matches in this april. He played on matches against first league teams, and scored 1+2 on the first, 1+3 on the second and 2+1 on the third match. This convinced the club and Sebők will start the next season in Kärpät. If both parties are satisfied after the first year, they can sign a five-year contract.
    I just noticed this. Kärpät's web site says that in October 2008 when Sebők first was in Oulu, he did well but was physically behind the Finnish players. By April 2009 he had improved considerably and his physique wasn't lacking anymore either. This coupled with the good try-out games and his passion for practise lead to the contract.

If you have any insight on what kind of players Sebők and Ferenc are, I'd be glad to know more about them. Where are they in the Hungarian prospect rankings? Does Sebők have a chance to make it to Hungary's U18 team this coming winter (Ferenc is probably too young)?
    "Lord Baelish, what you suggest is treason."
    "Only if we lose."

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shardik View Post
    I just noticed this. Kärpät's web site says that in October 2008 when Sebők first was in Oulu, he did well but was physically behind the Finnish players. By April 2009 he had improved considerably and his physique wasn't lacking anymore either. This coupled with the good try-out games and his passion for practise lead to the contract.

If you have any insight on what kind of players Sebők and Ferenc are, I'd be glad to know more about them. Where are they in the Hungarian prospect rankings? Does Sebők have a chance to make it to Hungary's U18 team this coming winter (Ferenc is probably too young)?
    I think neither Sebők, nor Kocsis have a good chance to play in the U18 NT this season. Not beacause they are not good enough. They are both '94 born players, but our '92-'93 generation is probably the best ever generation so far in the history of Hungarian hockey. That means that there will be enough good players in this coming season. I think in 2010 or in 2011 they will have a real chance to play in the U18 NT. And actually I think the normal way is to have 17 or 18 year old players in the U18 team.

I think neither Sebők, nor Kocsis have a good chance to play in the U18 NT this season. Not beacause they are not good enough. They are both '94 born players, but our '92-'93 generation is probably the best ever generation so far in the history of Hungarian hockey. That means that there will be enough good players in this coming season. I think in 2010 or in 2011 they will have a real chance to play in the U18 NT. And actually I think the normal way is to have 17 or 18 year old players in the U18 team.
    Thanks for the answer. It's good to hear that the Hungarian junior programs are producing better and better year classes. Players two years underage are pretty rare in the top division but often seen in Div I and lower. Even three years underagers can be spotted. Too bad for Sebők but good for Hungarian hockey! I thought Kocsis was born 1995 and didn't really expect him to be ready yet in any case.
    "Lord Baelish, what you suggest is treason."
    "Only if we lose."

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

IHF Member Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
    Anything new about Gallo?
    My articles at The Hockey Writers

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro Seren Rosso View Post
    Anything new about Gallo?
    Atlant Mytischi, MHL

Hey guys!
    I was just wondering whether Kerusz or somebody else could help me, please. I´d like to know about Hungarian kids playing in Slovakia this season, I´m also interested in Budapest Stars players playing for Nové Zámky etc. As far as I know there was Nrobert Dancsfalvi, who had previously played for Košice Jr. and started this season with Trnava Jr., but I´m not sure whether he still is there as well as Adam Vay, a 1994 goalie who plays for HOBA Bratislava U15/U18. Thanks a lot for your help.
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

See you in 2019...perhaps...

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaaa View Post
    Hey guys!
    I was just wondering whether Kerusz or somebody else could help me, please. I´d like to know about Hungarian kids playing in Slovakia this season, I´m also interested in Budapest Stars players playing for Nové Zámky etc. As far as I know there was Nrobert Dancsfalvi, who had previously played for Košice Jr. and started this season with Trnava Jr., but I´m not sure whether he still is there as well as Adam Vay, a 1994 goalie who plays for HOBA Bratislava U15/U18. Thanks a lot for your help.
    I don't speak Slovakian, but I think Dancsfalvi is still with Trnava, but suffered an injury. Here is the link.

Vay is with HOBA Bratislava, he is one of the goalies of the HUN U16 NT which is going to play against AUT U16 on 6th and 7th nov.

I don't speak Slovakian, but I think Dancsfalvi is still with Trnava, but suffered an injury. Here is the link.
    Yes ... it says Dancsfalvi suffered an injury and it sounds like he will be out for awhile.

Besides him and Vay, I do not know of any Hungarian players currently playing in Slovakia.

Vay is with HOBA Bratislava, he is one of the goalies of the HUN U16 NT which is going to play against AUT U16 on 6th and 7th nov.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiraly View Post
    Yes ... it says Dancsfalvi suffered an injury and it sounds like he will be out for awhile.

Besides him and Vay, I do not know of any Hungarian players currently playing in Slovakia.
    Ok, thanks the both of you for the info.

IHF Member Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
    Atlant Mytischi, MHL
    He's definitely not in the roster.
    My articles at The Hockey Writers

Janos Hari is off to a fantastic season in the Swedish J18. So far, he has produced 46 points in 13 games (!), more than twice than any other player in the J18 leagues.

Here's a take from the Red line Report (24.10)

Hungarian forward Janos Hari, a late sleeper in our rankings, started the season on a hot streak. Hari plays for Färjestad in the Swedish J-18 league and also started last season well, causing RLR's Swedish scout to make a few special trips. What he saw were some very fine skills in the body of a tiny puck wizard.

We almost wrote him off due to his small stature (5-9/159) and the fact that when the competition got stiffer during the spring, his production dropped dramatically.

This season is still very young and Färjestad won't face the better teams until later in the year, but Hari's stats so far are hard to ignore: in just five league games he has put up an astounding 14 goals and five assists. The little sparkplug darts into holes with lots of speed. His super-soft hands and slick moves force defenders to back off and give ground every time he approaches the blueline and he has the vision to find linemate Erik Thorell once the D swarms. So Thorell actually benefits to the tune of a league-leading 21 points (5G, 16A).

We'll keep you posted on how this interesting duo plays when they face some tougher opposition later on.
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...e-report_N.htm
    Last edited by Karsten; 11-11-2009 at 03:41.

This thread needs a bump- Janos Hari will play in the QMJHL next year as he was drafted 12th overall by the Montreal Juniors in the CHL import draft.

Hungary's WC U20 Roster

Goaltenders:
    David Gyenes (Miskolc, 1992)
    Jozsef Pleszkan (FTC, 1993)
    Adam Vay (Fehervar, 1994)

Defensemen:
    Tamas Erdelyi (Fehervar, 1992)
    Gergely Geczi (Vasas, 1992)
    Balazs Goz (Miskolc, 1992)
    Peter Hetenyi (Fehervar, 1991)
    Daniel Kiss (Dab.Docler, 1991)
    Gergo Vanyi (FTC, 1991)
    Arnold Varga (Fehervar, 1992)

Forwards:
    Tamas Farkas (Fehervar, 1992)
    Gergely Korpos (Miskolc, 1992)
    Aron Konczei, (Debrecen, 1994)
    Benjamin Nemes (Djurgarden, 1993)
    Attila Nemeth (UTE, 1992)
    Tamas Odry, (Bradford, 1993)
    Attila Pavuk (Dab.Docler, 1991)
    Tamas Pilcsik (Fehervar, 1991)
    Balazs Sebok (Karpat, 1994)
    Balazs Somogyi (Vasas, 1991)
    Tamas Virag (Dab.Docler, 1991)

One more cut to go as only two of the three goaltenders listed above will be making the trip to Czikszereda.

Players of note not participating this year:
    Bence Zalavari, 1991
    Miklos Rajna, 1991
    Szergej Maszlov, 1991
    Janos Hari, 1992
    Richard Nagy, 1992
    Illes Gallo, 1992
    Adam Fekti, 1992
    Kristof Hentes, 1993
    Richard Hardi, 1993

IHF Member
    János Hári signed for MoDo. It seems that he will play in the senior team mostly.

IHF Member

New U18 NT coach from Canada

Former University of Alberta coach and CIS coach of the year in 2009 Eric Thurston took over the Hungarian U18 NT. He will serve as a full time mentor coach and his tasks include the supervision of the work of the club coaches on junior level all over the country.

It seems that Richard Hardi is back in Slovakia playing for HK Trnava´s U20 team, acc. to this: http://www.szlh.sk/statistiky/live-zapas/58315

2012, U20 W.C. Division IIA

Hungary's WC U20 Preliminary Roster

Goaltenders:

Mark Hajek (UTE, 1992)
    David Gyenes (Miskolc, 1992)
    Jozsef Pleszkan (Fehervar, 1993)

Defensemen
    Balint Arkovics (Fehervar, 1993)
    Gergo Bereczki (MTK, 1992)
    Benjamin Dorner (UTE, 1992)
    Tamas Erdelyi (Fehervar, 1992)
    Gergely Geczi (FTC, 1992)
    Balazs Goz (Helene, 1992)
    Richard Nagy (Dab.Docler, 1992)
    Tamas Sommer (UTE, 1992)
    Arnold Varga (Fehervar, 1992)

Forwards:
    Robert Domotor (UTE, 1993)
    Simon Farkas (Fehervar, 1992)
    Tamas Farkas (Fehervar, 1992)
    Adam Fekti (Fehervar, 1992)
    Zoltan Fodor (Bobcaygeon, 1992)
    Richard Hardi (Trnava, 1993)
    Janos Hari, (Modo, 1992)
    David Horvath (Fehervar, 1992)
    Ferenc Kocsis (Fehervar, 1995)
    Viktor Kovacs (Fehervar, 1992)
    Marko Meretei (Fehervar, 1992)
    Mark Miskolczi (Miskolc, 1993)
    Attila Nemeth (Fehervar, 1992)
    Csaba Papp (Dab.Docler, 1992)
    Adam Pichler (UTE, 1992)
    Richard Reiter (Fehervar, 1992)
    Laszlo Rito (Miskolc, 1994)

Players of note not participating this year:
    Illes Gallo, 1992
    Kristof, Hentes, 1993
    Benjamin Nemes 1993
    Tamas Odry, 1993
    Aron Konczei, 1994
    Balazs Sebok, 1994
    Adam Vay 1994

IHF Member
    St. John's IceCaps News

IceCaps announce roster moves

Sign Koger, Murray; recall Maxwell

Today the St. John’s IceCaps announced several roster moves, signing Daniel Koger and Garth Murray to contracts and recalling Tommy Maxwell from the Colorado Eagles of the ECHL.

Koger, 22, was signed to a professional tryout contract. In 12 games with the Cincinnati Cyclones of the ECHL so far this season, the right-winger has collected 11 points (5g, 6a) and eight penalty minutes. He is currently tied for second on the Cyclones scoring leaderboard and leads the team with a plus-8 rating.

The Szekesfehervar, Hungary native spent the 2010-11 season with the Laredo Bucks of the Central Hockey League notching 52 points (29g, 23a) and 40 penalty minutes.

[...]

Daniel Koger Update

Daniel ended up playing 3 games in total for St. Johns before being sent back to Cincinnati. The Providence Bruins gave Koger a tryout end he played 5 games before returning to Cinicinnati. Now the Milwaukee Admirals are taking a look at the young Hungarian. He has played 2 games so far. After 10 games, Koger is still looking to register a point.

The Milwaukee coach had some good things to say about Koger.

http://admiralsroundtable.com/

Hungary U18 4-Nation Tournament Roster:

Goaltenders:
    Oliver Agoston (Espoo, 1994)
    Daniel Kornakker (Fehervar, 1996)
    Adam Vay (Fehervar, 1994)

Defensemen:
    Mate Arany (Fehervar, 1994)
    Adam Garbacz (UTE, 1994)
    Andras Kiss (Freiburg, 1995)
    Gergely Korbuly (Alingsas, 1994)
    Levente Lakatos (MAC, 1996)
    Rene Lerant, Dab.Docler, 1994)
    Laszlo Pados (Fehervar, 1995)
    Attila Reiter (Fehervar, 1994)
    Mark Szaller (Fehervar, 1996)

Forwards:
    Daniel Bata (MAC, 1994)
    Krisztian Dosa (Fehervar, 1994)
    Zalan Fliszar (Vasas, 1994)
    Vilmos Gallo, (Flemingsberg, 1996)
    Szilard Hamvai (Fehervar, 1995)
    Norbert Hari, Flemingsberg, 1995)
    Ferenc Kocsis (Fehervar, 1995)
    Aron Konczei (Flemingsberg, 1994)
    Marton Mach (MAC, 1994)
    Kristof Majoross (MAC, 1995)
    Attila Mocsari (Debrecen, 1995)
    Krisztian Nagy (Turku, 1994)
    Laszlo Rito (Miskolc, 1994)
    Kristof Schmal (MAC, 1995)
    Peter Vincze, (Fehervar, 1995)

Due to injury or illness Peter Gagyor and Bence Dorok were unable to participate. Balazs Sebok was unable to make the trip to Hungary in time for the tournament.

Tournament Results:

Hungary - Slovenia: 4-2
    Hungary - Italy: 5-4 (OT)
    Hungary - France: 4-1

Much better result this year as the team finished in last place in last year’s tournament.

Zalan Fliszar led the Hungarians with 6 points (2 goals and 4 assists). Peter Vincze led the team in goals with 4 while adding one helper.

Adam Vay started the first and last game while Oliver Agoston was in net against the Italians.

Hungary is the only country in the 1B group. Italy, France, and Slovenia will be competing in 1A later this year.

Edited to add tournament results.

It has been a while since this thread was last updated. Are there any promising Hungarian youngsters who could make it in the top Euro leagues in the near future?

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaaa View Post
    It has been a while since this thread was last updated. Are there any promising Hungarian youngsters who could make it in the top Euro leagues in the near future?
    Bálint Horváth played his first ever matches in the SHL recently :-)

Thread Information