Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Icerinks in Israel

IHF Member
    What's the use of an NHL rink in Israel? It would be a huge waste of money. Either build an IIHF-size rink, or aim for a recreational skating rink to begin with - and then 1/2-size is enough.

Several European leagues are considering switching to NHL size rinks.

In the interim, though, IIHF sized rinks are the non-North American standard, and an IIHF sized rink fitted for hockey would be ideal & preferred.

If they did an NHL sized rink fitted for hockey, though, it would still be a day to celebrate in the history of Israeli hockey.

IHF Prospect
    The IIHF accepts NHL-size rinks as valid for international competition.
    As for why half and not full-size....well, I'm sure if you got out your checkbook and wanted to invest $2 million or more, then the investors might consider making it bigger.

Getting back to tachlis, though. One person "heard" that somebody is building a rink in Holon. Right now we don't have any facts to go on.

And a reminder as well that people should pressure the owners of the mall in Eilat to got the extra few steps and make the new rink there hockey-usable.
    The main investor is a guy named Nissim Yaniv.
    The company managing the mall is "pro mall" http://www.promall.co.il/contact.aspx
    The web site for the Eilat Ice Park is http://www.ice-park.co.il/

Paul any rink is good, superglide is also the way me and my friends want to build it , but now we have to wait

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.598098,-73.987430

Btw rink on gush Dan will cos $20-25 mil

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.596800,-73.985306

For two mil we can build it

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.595550,-73.983630

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulShindman View Post
    As for why half and not full-size....well, I'm sure if you got out your checkbook and wanted to invest $2 million or more, then the investors might consider making it bigger.
    You got this one absolutely correct.

Getting back to tachlis, though. One person "heard" that somebody is building a rink in Holon. Right now we don't have any facts to go on.
    Actually it was more like 5-6 persons that heard this simultaneously.
    Its gonna be build in Peres Park in Holon, near Yamit 2000. Have no idea who investors are, but they say that some former figure skater, responsible for ice sports in olympic committee, made it all possible.
    <sarcazm value="Another reason for half size rink, beside money LOL, he probably just hates hockey!" />
    The size will be like 20x40, heard nothing regarding boards and glass.

It might be Boris chait or Konstantin

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.586511,-73.966482

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Btw rink on gush Dan will cos $20-25 mil
    If I'm not mistaken, the cost of the rink in Holon will be like $3-4 mil, will have to double check it tho.

Cost depends on size, seating capacity etc.. I'm talking about something comparable to metula

IHF Member
    But in Metula there is alot more than just rink, there are pool, jacuzzi, gym, bowling, basketball court, shooting range, some resturants and thats not all.
    Not need for all this in the center, just simple rink please ;-)

IHF Member
    It might be Boris chait or Konstantin
    Most likely its Boris.

Sounds like it, but Konstantin is a former speed skater and wanted to build rink in Netania. There might be superglide rink coming in Umm el Fhm are too

IHF Member
    Umm el Fhm? WTF? why?!!!!

aga! exactly my reaction

hey guys, what is closest ice rink to tel aviv?i think mr. Matin told me once that it is 2hr ride or something like that...if someone can write in short where the clubs are located and where are "their" arenas...tnx
    Games from Croatia live at :

http://www.icedominator.posavec.com.hr/

IHF Member
    Well, Which Ice Rink do you want to go. The only regulation sized ice rink, or one of the small ones? The Clubs are located as follows:
    2 in Metula, 1 in Haifa, 2 in Rishon LeZion, 2 in Bat-Yam, the rest not sure where exactley

IHF Member
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...294814390.html

An Olympic Rink coming to Netanya????

IHF Member

Israel

The Eilat Ice Park is now set for inauguration on Feb. 29th. Yes, there is a Feb. 29th this year.
    The rink is full-size international, 60 by 30.

IHF Member
    most current video of construction (begins at 1:50 of this clip)
    Taken in mid-November
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6GwiR860Bc

IHF Member
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but besides the fact this rink will be in the southern most point of Israel, the rink will not be able to have Hockey

IHF Member

Israel

1. What bubble? I don't see any bubble, let alone one that belongs to me.
    2. Why not? if it's the size they say it is?

IHF Member
    There are no boards/glass, no benches, no locker rooms. The builders did not have hockey in mind for this project. Ice hockey in eilat is a longshot

IHF Member
    That's a non-issue in my opinion, for the everyday running of the facility, that is. The boards and glass shouldn't be there permanently, the rink is in a shopping mall and is primarily meant for recreational skating. Once you have a 60 by 30 rink, adding the boards and glass when needed is a negligible issue.
    They also have enough space to go round for locker rooms (there would probably be some even for recreational skaters).

As for hockey in Eilat being a longshot - why is it more a longshot than Metulla? Eilat is farther from the center, I grant you that, but in fact both are too far for everyday activity for most of Israel's population (especially juniors), so there's no difference there.

On the other hand - Eilat is a larger city, a full scale resort and a much more attractive destination for hockey camps, if you ask me.

IHF Prospect
    The owners of the mall (an investment company from Tel Aviv) and the operators of the mall (a mall operations company based in Ramat Gan) are NOT interested in hockey.
    It definitely will not be happening anytime soon as they have repeatedly delayed the rink opening because it is not anywhere near their top priority. All the talk of "hockey" that the investors made during the approval phase of the project appears to have been hot air intended to get approval for the project.
    The engineering company that had to install the rink new nothing about ice rinks. Despite having invited the world leading company (TOROMONT-CIMCO) to a meeting years ago and repeated attempts by me to get them to consult with a company experienced in these kinds of projects, they appear to have chosen the lowest bidder - an Austrian company that while experienced, has expressed no interest in educating the owners as to the business potential of ice hockey.

There are no change rooms or locker rooms, and none planned. Space in a shopping mall is planned carefully, and they did NOT put in changerooms (actually, at the time they didn't even have a room for the zamboni, so I don't know what they figured out for that problem).

It is NOT a "negligible issue" to install proper boards and glass, unless you have an extra $250,000 or so you want to offer. It's not just boards, but benches, penalty box, officials area, etc.

However, if you want to talk to them directly let me know and I'll send you the contact information.

IHF Member
    The owners of the mall (an investment company from Tel Aviv) and the operators of the mall (a mall operations company based in Ramat Gan) are NOT interested in hockey.
    It definitely will not be happening anytime soon as they have repeatedly delayed the rink opening because it is not anywhere near their top priority. All the talk of "hockey" that the investors made during the approval phase of the project appears to have been hot air intended to get approval for the project.
    The engineering company that had to install the rink new nothing about ice rinks. Despite having invited the world leading company (TOROMONT-CIMCO) to a meeting years ago and repeated attempts by me to get them to consult with a company experienced in these kinds of projects, they appear to have chosen the lowest bidder - an Austrian company that while experienced, has expressed no interest in educating the owners as to the business potential of ice hockey.

There are no change rooms or locker rooms, and none planned. Space in a shopping mall is planned carefully, and they did NOT put in changerooms (actually, at the time they didn't even have a room for the zamboni, so I don't know what they figured out for that problem).

It is NOT a "negligible issue" to install proper boards and glass, unless you have an extra $250,000 or so you want to offer. It's not just boards, but benches, penalty box, officials area, etc.

However, if you want to talk to them directly let me know and I'll send you the contact information.
    What Paul Said! Thanks Paul for explaining it better!

IHF Member

Thanks. I'd like that. You can PM the details to me.

IHF Member
    postponed yet again... is that a surprise or what?...
    Now set for 15/3...

IHF Prospect
    Latest video update on Eilat Rink (Mar 17, 2012):
    http://www.devils.co.il/2012/03/eila...lding-process/
    Rescheduled to open at the end of the year :(

IHF Prospect
    Next time somebody goes to Eilat, try to find the mall managers and ask them why they aren't making the rink hockey-playable. In the video posted on the Rishon Devils website, you see the boards, but that's it. They look pretty thin, and there are no benches. I still don't think they are going to put in what is needed for hockey, but the more people who talk to them and tell them they can make money from hockey - the better the chance they'll change their minds.
    I can't tell from the video if they remembered to add a parking spot for a zamboni. And so far as I know there are no benches, no penalty box, no protective glass to stop pucks and no change rooms.
    So...any Olympic rink in a great vacation location, but totally not suited for hockey. I wouldn't want to rent the ice and then be responsible for paying for a store window broken by a puck that went over the boards...

IHF Member
    via IIHF article, a rink is being developed in Tel-Aviv.

Also, and this is new information and not concrete at all, I heard from a friend that Ra'anana maybe building a rink.

Well if it gets built we will have to face another problem- money this year for example mens team went on penny by penny donation by a few sponsors

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?u15dxt

IHF Member
    Well if it gets built we will have to face another problem- money this year for example mens team went on penny by penny donation by a few sponsors

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?u15dxt
    Then the time to start working hard to get more sponsors and support for Israel Hockey begins now. Everyone needs to put in some effort to make this happen, but I feel with enough hard work, things will begin to be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hckeyguy25 View Post
    Then the time to start working hard to get more sponsors and support for Israel Hockey begins now. Everyone needs to put in some effort to make this happen, but I feel with enough hard work, things will begin to be successful.
    Naivete of your post is touching. The Jewish community has basically not supported the program at all. Most of the Jews I have dealt with don't give money; they would rather take it. There will be no large donations or big donors. Even this recent Vienna trip was sponsored mainly by NON-JEWS. One f..r in NY last year told me thet " he did not consider cause of Israeli hockey worthy enough". I told him that I'm sure glad six Muslims who gave us almost 2000 dollars did.
    Even on the most recent trip wonderful Chabad that is supposed to help Jews keep their religion wanted to charge the team 30 euros each for seder. That's why they went without it.For the amount of money I gave Chabad this year I could have done a lot for Israel hockey.
    One big Jew in New York forbade me from swearing when he had tefillin on , but whe it came time he had no doubts and tried to steal $700 from kids.
    Unless state funding is restored Israel hockey has VERY BLEAK future, if it is restored future is just BLEAK.

Sorry , but thats my opinion
    Last edited by Marc Brunengraber; 11-04-2012 at 14:28. Reason: David.....stay within the forum rules please.

IHF Member
    Hearing of a project in Holon.....

Again, another project. If these people just combined forces and resources to one project, we will have a rink in the center

Combination will never happen, plus there is no partner in Israel for them to build it and to do it right , its a 10-20 mil project

I will not believe news of any ice hockey rink being built in Israel until the building has actually been erected.

IHF Member
    Taken from an e-mail:
    On 3rd of September will take place the Bat Yam Ice Palace & Ice Hockey Arena building official opening ceremony.
    The Ceremony opening hour is 17:30.
    The Ceremony placement is: Bat Yam City, Hakomemiut str, between Soccer Stadium and Country Club.

Mazl tov!!!

IHF Prospect
    Does anybody have any more details? Pictures? This sounds like it's on the same location as the original Bat Yam rink that opened in 1988 and is where Israeli hockey got it's start (this was Israel's 2nd ice rink at the time).

I refer everyone to post #87.

Of course, I am guardedly optimistic and full of hope based on the proposed name for the rink.

Is it supposed to be full size, or at least NHL sized?

IHF Member
    Ceremony Delayed, Date TBA

IHF Prospect
    Marc - so far as I know the main mover behind the Bat Yam rink is Yevgeny Gusin, perennial national team goalie and the head of the Bat Yam Hockey Club. He's a great guy and has been working hard for several years putting this project together. I haven't seen the details yet, but given that a hockey person is behind the project I'm almost 100% sure that it will be designed for games (and a reminder that the IIHF does sanction international games on NHL sized rinks).

Paul, that is incredible news! I hope your information is correct on that, Gusin is an Israeli hockey hero, being the man who posted an incredible showing in goal to help Israel make it to the 2006 Division I World Championship. To have him involved, and even heading up a project of this kind is wonderful to see, and great news for Israeli hockey.

Also, I never really looked up a map of the towns the various teams are based out of... I know where Metulla is, but searching up Bat Yam, I didn't realize it's basically a suburb of Tel Aviv (as is Rishon le Zion, if I'm not completely off track?)! To have a rink in the capital would be one of the biggest boosts the sport could get IMO.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that this works out well.

Mazl tov on a ring! Israeli hockey's goal right now is simple survival, future is bleak

IHF Member
    Holon rink ALMOST ready for opening. Remember it's 20 X 40 Meters

IHF Prospect
    The official opening is apparently going to be very soon. Here is the link to the official pics of the rink and details of who is behind it: the Ice Skating Federation of Israel: http://iisf.org.il/blog/?p=3243
    I won't even begin to explain the politics involved, but there is lots of politics about why this rink is where it is and is built and operated by the IISF.
    I'm informed that the Rishon Ice Devils will practice there, and there may be a 4 on 4 league (it's a 40 x 20 meter surface).
    I'm waiting to hear back from the IISF about who the contact person is, and what the cost and conditions will be for ice rental.
    Shana tova to all.
    Paul

Is that smaller than the old Boston Gardens?

Will IHFI league games be held both there and in Metula?

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    Is that smaller than the old Boston Gardens?

Will IHFI league games be held both there and in Metula?
    League games will be in metula. 2nd league games will be in holon, I was told

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information