Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reaction in Slovenia if Kopitar makes the NHL?

NHL Reaction in Slovenia if Kopitar makes the NHL?

Hey Rdecekrilo or "Red Wing" do you think Anze Kopitar will attend the LA Kings training camp and if he makes the team, will the Slovenians take notice?

Lep pozdrav.

:ooh: Just how can you even doubt about it!He will play and he will score at least 20 goals + 20 assists next NHL season.Also that will make much more interest for ice hockey here - from TV to youngsters.
    JE !! SE !! NI !! CE

IHF Member
    Everybody believe that he will make it, so it wouldn't surprise us. Unfortunately, apart from hockey fans, I doubt there will be much interest in media, of course some reports and articles, but it's not like just because of him the TV will start broadcasting or anything. It will be nice for us, though, to finally be able to follow someones carrer in NHL.

Quote Originally Posted by kozorog
    Unfortunately, apart from hockey fans, I doubt there will be much interest in media, of course some reports and articles, but it's not like just because of him the TV will start broadcasting or anything.
    Absolutely. It doesn't matter if someone for your country hits the top of his sport. If the sport is a minority one in your country, it'll stay a minority sport. For example, one of the top speedway riders in the world just now is from California (Greg Hancock). Has that seen an increase in the exposure that sport gets in the US?

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---
    "Night Watch", Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by Graham
    For example, one of the top speedway riders in the world just now is from California (Greg Hancock). Has that seen an increase in the exposure that sport gets in the US?

Graham.
    To be honest, Speed TV has broadcast Speedway GP for the past few years now. But as you say, it has not lead to any exposure of the sport, apart for myself. I watch Speedway GP, but the American series isn't televised, not that I'd watch it anyway. Unfortunately, these are highlight shows of each round, still showing each heat, only broadcast in the dead of winter, long after the season has ended. There has been a decease in Formula 1 coverage in magazines and newspapers due to a lack of the Michelin fiasco, despite American Scott Speed having a race seat.

I hope Slovenian sports news at least show highlights of Kopitar's games. The only way to increase awareness is to get people to see the sport even if it is only highlights of a particular player, especially since he almost certainly won't be wearing a fox on his sweater this spring.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

Quote Originally Posted by Graham
    Absolutely. It doesn't matter if someone for your country hits the top of his sport. If the sport is a minority one in your country, it'll stay a minority sport. For example, one of the top speedway riders in the world just now is from California (Greg Hancock). Has that seen an increase in the exposure that sport gets in the US?

Graham.

But you have to start somewhere...

IHF Member
    The thing is, that hockey is not so minor in Slovenia. I don't recall almost 6000 spectators on any (domestic club) football game in past seasons, yet our league is broadcasted every week. I'm not sure for basketball or handball, but I think it's safe to say that, at least for the matter of attendance, ice hockey is third sport in the country. Maybe I'm little influenced by the region, because hockey is obviouslly very popular here around Jesenice, but still I think there is a lot of fans elsewhere around Slovenia.

Anyway, we debated that so much on every forum I get, so there is no point anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by hockeynomad
    Hey Rdecekrilo or "Red Wing" do you think Anze Kopitar will attend the LA Kings training camp and if he makes the team, will the Slovenians take notice?

Lep pozdrav.
    Hiya.Sorry for the late reply but I was on vacation.
    Slovenians will take note and media will slowwwwwly writte and follow his career too.It will take some time and it is not absolutely dependant on Kopitar as it will take more than only is succes.If Slovenia comes back to elite level and if Jesenice make a spalash in the EBEL then hockey will be more popular and media will follow NHL more.

Kopitar played in the Kings opening game loss to San Jose in the pre-season.

According to radio reports he had a "pretty good game" and was named the game's 3rd star (Hockey tradition here in naming 3 stars per game). He held his own in the faceoff circle against San Jose's Joe Thornton, and assisted on a third-period goal by Rob Blake.

Here is an article from the LA Times on Kopitar, with a snippet below.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/hockey...ck=1&cset=true

Anze Kopitar stepped onto the ice at Staples Center on Tuesday a completely different person from the wide-eyed kid from Slovenia he was last season. Kopitar, 19, has returned to Los Angeles more mature, bigger and better prepared mentally for his second training camp.

"It's definitely a little different this year," said Kopitar, who played professionally in Sweden last season. "I have more confidence in what I'm doing. Last year, it was all new and this is a lot bigger place than where I grew up. Now, I know what to expect."

Kopitar was ticketed for Manchester of the American Hockey League when training camp began but has played himself in contention for a spot on the Kings' roster, depending on whether they can get him enough ice time. The Kings lean toward caution with such a prime prospect. "You have to have an open mind," General Manager Dean Lombardi said. "He has a big body and great skills, but he's still only 19. It is very dangerous to put expectations on him. I've learned in this business, that you got to let guys play."......
    There is no such thing as a "Bad Hockey Market"
    There are, however, several markets with "Bad Hockey"

International Hockey Forums on Social Media:
    https://twitter.com/ihf_forums
    https://www.facebook.com/ihf.forums

IHF Member
    Well, there was no special reaction here in Slovenia, unfortunately. There were some small articles about it, haven't seen anything special. In general, Slovenians are not too excited about this things, mainly because we are so small and we have so many good sportmen. Honestly, It's almost unbeliveable, that any proffesional, like Kopitar (we have some in NBA etc.) can live their lives almost unnoticed here - etc. can walk around the town without being affraid of photographers, horny screaming teens and all...

It doesn't mean we don't notice it, but we take it for granted sometimes, which is not that good.

From the LA Times: http://www.latimes.com/sports/hockey...orts-nhl-kings

The Kings are expected to trim their roster today, with all indications pointing to 19-year-old Anze Kopitar making the team.

Great News! :claphands:claphands:claphands
    JE !! SE !! NI !! CE

There'll be more reaction in Slovenia as Kopitar should have a fine season and even may be in running for rookie of the year honors, well, behind Malkin.

It's now THE FACT that Anže Kopitar is with the L.A. Kings and we all wish all the best to him in his very first season in NHL.:023:
    JE !! SE !! NI !! CE

The Montreal Canadiens were "thinking' of drafting the guy.

An error? Time will tell

Kopitar has 2 goals in his first NHL game. :claphands

The first was a rush up the right-wing, he got a step on Chris Pronger and beat him to the outside and cut in front of the net, switched from back-hand to forehand and out-waited J.S. Giguere and roofed it. Nice first goal that tied the game 1-1 in the 2nd peroid.

A couple of minutes later, on a rush, Kopitar centered the puck that hit Anahiem defensemen Francois Beauchemin's stick and bounced in past Giguere. Kopitar's 2nd goal put the Kings up 2-1.

EDIT: He ended up leading the Kings in ice-time for forwards with 22:16.

Here are his stats: http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...7/ES020018.HTM

Last edited by Jazz; 07-10-2006 at 09:47.

Great start for Kopitar - first game for any Slovenian player in NHL,first goal in NHL in the very first game.I think Gretzky started like this. :nr::scared001:nr:
    JE !! SE !! NI !! CE

Actually Gretzky did not score his first goal until his third game (against Vancouver :seeingsta ). He did have a few assists though.

You can see highlights of Kopitar's goals by clicking on "HIGHLIGHTS" on this page: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/recap?gi...100625&prov=ap

Any reaction in Slovenia today?
    Last edited by Jazz; 07-10-2006 at 20:44.

A very good start by Kopitar! :yelclap:
    He got more ice time than Rob Blake :shockey68

Also the most PP time (tied with Blake) and most shots in the game (7).

To be honest, I knew he was good but this was still better than I expected. If the first Slovenian in NHL doesn't make a reaction in Slovenia, maybe the first Slovenian NHL superstar will :023:
    "Lord Baelish, what you suggest is treason."
    "Only if we lose."

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

IHF Member
    i have to be honest too and said that i belive he was just a average comparing to ahl players. but again, he proved me wrong...

just one big BRAVO for him

:claphands Reaction in Slovenia is good and also I feel many are surprised with what he has shown in the first game.I just hope he will continue like this and shut up at least those big mouths from national TV who rather distribute 3rd class soccer and youngsters surely don't enjoy watching such shit - if they will able to watch one Anže from Slovenia fighting on ice with best hockey players and showing class then no doubt that interest for playin' hockey here will grown day by day.Hockey fans in Jesenice were very pesimistic about his career - I talk with many on Sunday's game Acroni:Graz in EBEL , but majority told that he will never play NHL and he will be playing in AHL instead,also many tell that even if succed to be among L.A.kings squad he will get very,very little ice time.Well from now on EVERYTHING is different thanking to Anže Kopitar himself. :claphands
    JE !! SE !! NI !! CE

I have found better-quality uploaded versions of Kopitar's 1st and 2nd NHL goals.

YouTube version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x81uXfQCWZA

Higher quality version, 30MB: http://rapidshare.de/files/35824115/Kopitar_s_1st_NHL_goal.wmv.html

:023:Thanks for nice video with interview.
    JE !! SE !! NI !! CE

Quote Originally Posted by Acroni767
    :023:Thanks for nice video with interview.
    My thanks as well. Didn't scouts question his skating? Seems they were wrong, looks like he has some significant speed. Good on him, he's proving his worth already.

Kopitar 3 points, he rung one off the post too. Just finished watching the game.

If my mom is from Istria, which use to be under Yugoslavia for 50 years, but now is part of Slovenia and Croatia. My mom's side is under Slovenia now, what does that make my mom? If it makes her Slovenian I'll support Kopitar. :claphands
    Last edited by kun; 08-10-2006 at 07:22.

Great night for Kopitar again.:smart:
    JE !! SE !! NI !! CE

LA Times: Kopitar Creating a Buzz

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...ck=1&cset=true

Here are some snippets

....Such things leave the Kings a bit giddy about the future, and more than a little nervous about too-much-too-soon attention for Kopitar — the first Slovenian in the NHL — who has played only two games.

"He's the best Slovenian hockey player in the history of the game," Coach Marc Crawford joked, trying to deflect a little glare from Kopitar after Saturday's morning skate. "He still has things to learn."

He greeted the NHL with a two-goal performance Friday against the Ducks, one by skating around future Hall of Famer Chris Pronger. Kopitar continued to cut his teeth in the league by gnawing away at the Blues.

"You look at him and he looks lazy, that's just his appearance, but he has that speed," Lubomir Visnovsky said. "It fools you. Before you realize what's happening, he's by you."

Kopitar, though, has been involved in five of the Kings' seven goals through two games this season, with play that left fans chanting "Ahn-jay, Ahn-jay, Ahn-jay" late in Saturday's game. "I certainly feel comfortable on the ice," Kopitar said. "I don't have any problems with the small rink or the increased speed of the game. I'm just looking forward to the next game."

Great start for Kopitar - first game for any Slovenian player in NHL,first goal in NHL in the very first game.I think Gretzky started like this. :nr::scared001:nr:
    Yes, it`s a great start for Kopy! He gave first slovenian goal in NHL, but he is NOT first slovenian player in nhl. I am sure, he will be a first slovenian superstar in nhl!

First slovenian player was goalie Tone Gale, who was goalie of Boston Bruins in late 6th and New York Rangers in early 70th. He played about 100 preseason games for this two clubs, but he played just 1 game (17 minutes) in nhl season game. It was a game beetwen NY Rangers in Boston Bruins!

Just for the facts...
    Last edited by Eagle; 08-10-2006 at 12:51.

Ok, so 2+3=5 points in the two first games. Let's speculate a little.

Kopitar scores appr. 80 points during regular season. He is a clear favorite for the Calder Trophy but the Kings don't make it to the playoffs and end their season on April 7th.

Slovenia (and Kopitar) faces off Romania in IHWC Div I Group B on April 15th 2007, the tournament being played in Ljubljana, Slovenia. Who can smell a hockey boom in the making?
    "Lord Baelish, what you suggest is treason."
    "Only if we lose."

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

How many goals will Anze score?

I say around 30. :hockey1:

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle
    Yes, it`s a great start for Kopy! He gave first slovenian goal in NHL, but he is NOT first slovenian player in nhl. I am sure, he will be a first slovenian superstar in nhl!

First slovenian player was goalie Tone Gale, who was goalie of Boston Bruins in late 6th and New York Rangers in early 70th. He played about 100 preseason games for this two clubs, but he played just 1 game (17 minutes) in nhl season game. It was a game beetwen NY Rangers in Boston Bruins!

Just for the facts...

Just curious was Tone Gale born in slovenia?

There have been some great NHLrs of Slovenian Heritage.

Definitely the greatest was Frankie Brimsek a goalie for the Bruins in the 30s and 40s. I believe his is in the Hockey Hall of Fame. But Brimsek was born in the U.S.

I predicted 20 goals + 20 assists before the season has started - now it looks like he will double that.
    JE !! SE !! NI !! CE

Quote Originally Posted by hockeynomad
    Just curious was Tone Gale born in slovenia?

There have been some great NHLrs of Slovenian Heritage.

Definitely the greatest was Frankie Brimsek a goalie for the Bruins in the 30s and 40s. I believe his is in the Hockey Hall of Fame. But Brimsek was born in the U.S.
    I tried looking up Anton Gale, but couldn't find any birth information or anything.
    He's on hockeydb, with two seasons showing: one for the Yugoslavian national team, the other in the EHL with Syracuse. No NHL games for him. He doesn't even appear on eurohockey.net.

Quote Originally Posted by Steigs
    I tried looking up Anton Gale, but couldn't find any birth information or anything.
    He's on hockeydb, with two seasons showing: one for the Yugoslavian national team, the other in the EHL with Syracuse. No NHL games for him. He doesn't even appear on eurohockey.net.
    Same with me. See #40

http://www.internationalhockeygang.o...ead.php?t=3208
    Buffalo Sabres: TPS : Milwaukee Admirals

Its quite possible that this is true story because also here some said that NOBODY before Kopitar had ever play in NHL even a single minute - Gale as I know was great goalie he played also across the atlantic in NA,but exactly which league is not exact clear.
    JE !! SE !! NI !! CE

Its quite possible that this is true story because also here some said that NOBODY before Kopitar had ever play in NHL even a single minute - Gale as I know was great goalie he played also across the atlantic in NA,but exactly which league is not exact clear.
    Well, as I mentioned, he showed with Syracuse in teh EHL (which looks like it might have been a precursor to the current ECHL), so he might have dressed for some games with the Bruins/Rangers, but most likely only as a backup and never actually played.

IHF Member
    It was quite a debate here also. Everybody's saying that he played for 17 minutes, but noone has any proof at all.

Anyway, Anze's start was mentioned on all reports and sport shows, but I think his success is too big for us to even realize it. It's probably impossible to evaluate the difference between few preseason games, which we had in NHL a week ago, and 5 points in 2 regular season games, which we have now :)

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by a3r3z
    If my mom is from Istria, which use to be under Yugoslavia for 50 years, but now is part of Slovenia and Croatia. My mom's side is under Slovenia now, what does that make my mom? If it makes her Slovenian I'll support Kopitar. :claphands
    If she was born in Slovenia, than she is slovenian and you are half slovenian. :)

Some quotes from the LA Times:
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/hockey...orts-nhl-kings

Russian forward Alexandr Frolov seems to have made an effort to be a mentor to Kopitar, which in turn will help with his progression. When asked about Kopitar, Frolov mentioned: "Yeah, he's good. Really good."

Coach Marc Crawford on the chemistry Frolov and Kopitar are developing: "They seem to have some chemistry. I think Frolov is starting to feel responsible for Kopitar. He knows he's a young kid who is still learning about the league. You can see them talking on the bench."

Kopitar on Frolov: "When I was young, I watched a lot of Russian hockey and I know it takes a lot of skills. I think me and Frolov are getting along really good."

Crawford on Kopitar: "He's a big-time talent, no doubt about it. The big thing is, he is very teachable. You tell him something once and he goes out and does it. He's a coach's son and he has that type of upbringing."

Here are 2 more online videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7s8SVmx2Mk
    and
    http://www.chazcurry.com/lgk/Think_D...Think_Anze.mov
    Last edited by Jazz; 11-10-2006 at 09:26.

Says Ryan Smyth, "I played against Slovenia", "I knew he ws going to be a good player when I took a faceoff against him in Innsbruck at the World Championships. he won the draw, it was in our zone, and as a centre, I'm supposed to lock up my centreman, right? Well boom - he went right through me and he was gone to the net"

Kopitar interview after first NHL game

Ok, seriously, stop picking apart what you perceive to be spelling/grammatical mistakes. It is annoying. The LA Times reported the quote as it was said by someone who's first language is not English, simple enough.

This is not a request.
    There is no such thing as a "Bad Hockey Market"
    There are, however, several markets with "Bad Hockey"

International Hockey Forums on Social Media:
    https://twitter.com/ihf_forums
    https://www.facebook.com/ihf.forums

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Chief
    English takes a lot of skill, too :)
    But I shouldn't be talking, I screw up good and well and "and me/and I" all the time and I'm a native speaker.
    And how many languages do you speak? I dont know how many Anze speaks, but here in Denmark most young people speak/understand AT LEAST 3 languages. I dont think thats the same in America... :002:

IHF Member
    anze for sure speaks slovenian, croatian, serbian, english and probably german ;)

Quote Originally Posted by jokke_wiberg
    anze for sure speaks slovenian, croatian, serbian, english and probably german ;)
    Not Swedish? He probably learned some conversational useage while he was playing for Sodertalje SK.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KazakhEagles
    Not Swedish? He probably learned some conversational useage while he was playing for Sodertalje SK.
    and swedish and czech, most likely slovakian, too :blah: :003:

Article from canoe.ca: Kopitar still eyeing Calder

Kings coach Marc Crawford: "He's mature for a 19-year-old boy. He lived on his own for two years in Sweden and I think that made him mature very quickly. He's using that maturity to handle the life out here in the NHL. He hasn't shown any signs that he's overwhelmed at all. Our original plan was to start him in Manchester. (King's GM) Dean (Lombardi) felt really strongly that he needed to play in the American League, needed to ride the bus and learn all the things that the American League is so good at teaching players about professional hockey. But it became very apparent in training camp that he was going to be very impactful for us. And that's definitely been the case. A lot of nights he's been our best centre. He was the best player there but he wasn't that much ahead of everybody. But he came to training camp and it was like: 'Wow, holy cow. This guy's taken a big step in the space of 10 weeks.' He came here very much with the purpose of making this team. He wanted to play in the National Hockey League and for that happened he needed a great camp. And he did just that. He's done nothing but show us something new and he's improved his play almost on a daily basis."

Lombardi and Crawford have the long-term view for the Kings. It's about building a foundation now and a winner later. With that in mind, Kopitar leads all Kings forwards with 20:01 minutes of ice time per game. "We've used him in every situation," said Crawford.

@Jazz we are all pround on him and the games he has shown so far - dissapointment goes to national TV which should really distribute some of the L.A. Kings game - doesn't matter if thoose would be with 2 days delay - just show it!:angest::089:
    JE !! SE !! NI !! CE

@Jazz we are all pround on him and the games he has shown so far - dissapointment goes to national TV which should really distribute some of the L.A. Kings game - doesn't matter if thoose would be with 2 days delay - just show it!:angest::089:
    :shakehead Any chance something will happen soon to fix this?

Anyways, it looks like someone in LA decided to do some graffiti work honoring Anze.... :005:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information