Thread: West Germany in Red Uniforms?

IHF Member

West Germany in Red Uniforms?

Me again with another uniform-related topic…

I have been able to find only one picture showing West Germany playing in the 1984 Olympics, in their game against the USSR (they played five other games in that tournament) :

For the 1988 Winter Games, I have found pictures of West Germany playing against Canada, the USSR and Sweden (they played 5 other games that year). In each picture, they are wearing this white uniform :

Moving to 1992, I have evidence of West Germany playing against Canada and the U.S. (they played 8 games in total). Once again, in these pictures they are wearing a white uniform :

Finally, in Lillehammer in 1994, I have found pictures of 5 of the 8 games that Team Germany played, against Finland, Czechoslovakia, Russia, Sweden, Austria. You guessed it, in each one they are wearing a white uniform :

My question is, did West Germany/Germany ever wear a red version of these uniforms during any of these Olympics? I find it quite a coincidence that I have pictures of 11 of the 27 games they played over these four Winter Games, and in each one they are wearing a white uniform. This leads me to believe that for some reason they wore only white from 1984 to 1994. It should also be noted that twice they wore white while playing Sweden, forcing the Swedes to wear blue, and we all know that Sweden rarely wore blue during this time period, preferring their yellow sweater.

It should be noted that I know that red versions of these uniforms did exist, as I have found pictures from World Championships, Izvestia Cups, etc. showing them - my question is :

Does anyone know if the West Germans wore red at the Olympics during this time period?

Thanks for reading this long post!

IHF Prospect
    Hi,

I checked out some of my hockey videos on DVD and found out that West Germany played in red jerseys in Sarajevo against Sweden 11.2.1984.

Regards, Jari

IHF Prospect
    Also in this game Germans wore red: Albertville ´92 GER-Sweden, Pos 5-6, 22.2.1992

IHF Member
    Thank you winspector! Piece by piece, things become clearer...

I think it is interesting that the two games you were able to find were both against Sweden, a country which (as I mentioned) wore their yellow uniform the vast majority of the time during this period. It would seem that the Germans may have worn the red uniform only when they were "forced to" during these Olympics. I wonder why?

Thanks again!

Norrland (the northern province of Sweden)
    ^^
    When it comes to Sweden, they were very rigid in wearing their yellow jerseys in the 60's and 70's. I can't remember seeing them wearing any other jersey than the yellow one in any tournament between 1963 and 1978. They didn't even bother to change when the supposed home team were playing in white which this picture from a game against Poland from the WC tournament 1973 shows:

Not that funny having a black-and-white TV those days, especially when the quality of the picture wasn't as good as it is today.

The first time I saw Sweden playing in blue jerseys in a championship was in a game against Finland in 1978.

Before that, I've only seen the blue jerseys on pictures from games against Swedish combination teams nominated by the press which were held from time to time in the 60's so I did know that there actually existed a blue jersey.

Back in the 20's and 30's, Sweden did play in blue in some tournaments.

IHF Member
    Hello Yardbird!

Based on the contemporary photos the Swedes did wear a blue jersey in the 1940s and the 1950s too!

I do have a faint memory seeing a colour photo of Team Sweden wearing a blue jersey sometime in the 1960s!

Unfortunately I was too poor at the time to get it from Tradera, so thanks for getting it right, yardbird!

One can see an interesting Team Sweden photo in the Hammarby Hockey website from the season 1935-36. The pants seem to be pale blue and the jersey a kind of brown. When thinking, that this photo could have been fading in the course of time, the original colour of the jersey is probably yellow!

All the best
    Jukka

^^
    I saw that picture of the Swedish team on the Hammarby website. Weird colors of the uniforms really, pale blue and brown!.

It looks like an aged black and white photo which they have tried to paint. I guess that they did play in jerseys some shade of yellow.

You're right about Sweden wearing blue jerseys in some games in the 40's and 50's. I remember seeing some pictures from some games.

It's possible that there were pictures taken of the team in blue jerseys in the 60's but they never used them in any tournament between 1963 and 1978, at least not what I know. I actually remember being very surprised when they showed up in blue jerseys in that WC game against Finland in 1978.

IHF Member
    Want to see another confusing game to watch on a black and white TV? Below is a picture from the 1968 Olympics, with the USSR (red) vs. Czechoslovakia (blue) - yikes!!

Here is a trivia question : what were the two countries that wore only one colour of uniform during all their games in the 1980 Olympics (can anyone answer without going to the LA84 website)?

Slovakia

www.mmdresy.estranky.sk
    historical czechoslovakia jersey

Quote Originally Posted by alli2002ca View Post
    Want to see another confusing game to watch on a black and white TV? Below is a picture from the 1968 Olympics, with the USSR (red) vs. Czechoslovakia (blue) - yikes!!

Here is a trivia question : what were the two countries that wore only one colour of uniform during all their games in the 1980 Olympics (can anyone answer without going to the LA84 website)?
    I remember that game. The only way to distinguish between the teams while watching black and white TV was to look for the jersey numbers. TheCzechoslovak team had larger numbers on their jerseys.

As for your question, I guess that Sweden was one of the teams but I'm not sure about the other one, maybe Poland.

Quote Originally Posted by alli2002ca View Post

Soviet Union definately wore red all the way through. Sweden is my guess for the other.
    Am I right?
    "By Soviet standards I'd always been considered an offensive centerman. Phil Esposito and Bobby Clarke forced me to play a more defensive style. The experience made me a better all around player," -Vladimir Petrov commenting after the 1972 Summit Series

MY BASKETBALL RESEARCH WEBSITE:
    http://92mensolympicbball.webs.com

RUGBY WORLD CUP 2015 QUALIFYING STATISTICS:
    http://www.freewebs.com/rugbystats/RWC2015Q.xlsx

IHF Member
    Congratulations usausa, you got one of them - the Soviets did indeed wear their red uniforms in every game they played. The other team was Norway, and they also wore red in each game. It seems strange, why would these two teams not need to wear a light jersey in games when they were the "home" team?

Sweden actually wore their blue jersey in at least one game, against West Germany.

Soviets I bet probably got to choose. I remember reading that they ere supposed to choose their locker room vs. USA, being they were the defending world champs, but US got dibs.
    My only guess for Norway would be they didnt have a light color?
    I wonder what there jersey history was before 1980, like in 78 and 79.
    "By Soviet standards I'd always been considered an offensive centerman. Phil Esposito and Bobby Clarke forced me to play a more defensive style. The experience made me a better all around player," -Vladimir Petrov commenting after the 1972 Summit Series

MY BASKETBALL RESEARCH WEBSITE:
    http://92mensolympicbball.webs.com

RUGBY WORLD CUP 2015 QUALIFYING STATISTICS:
    http://www.freewebs.com/rugbystats/RWC2015Q.xlsx

^^
    Norway did have a light jersey in 1980 but I don't know why it was never used in the 1980 tournament.

And yes, I was wrong about Sweden being one of the teams playing in the same jersey the whole tournament. I checked my old scrapbook two hours after my guess and there it was, Sweden in blue against West Germany. Shame on me!

Thread Information