Thread: Helsinki in March

IHF Member

Finland Helsinki in March

I'm planning to go to Helsinki in March, and probably staying at the Eurohostel for 4 nights. I'm hoping to catch games at Jokerit, HIFK, and Espoo, could anyone tell me how much travel would be to these games from Eurohostel?

Also, what would you recommend to do during the day in the city?

HIFK's arena is in the city center, not more than a couple of kilometers from the Eurohostel. For Jokerit's arena, it should be the easiest to go the the railway station and take the train to Pasila. After that it is a short walk. For Blues you need to take a bus to Espoo and possibly walk some way there.

I don't know enough of you or Helsinki to give specific day-time entertainment instructions apart for the generic shopping and sight-seeing. Have a good trip.
    "Lord Baelish, what you suggest is treason."
    "Only if we lose."

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

take the ferry to Suomenlinna (fortress) , the zoo, rock church temppeliaukiokirkko ..I did all the touristy stuff..even if you don't like to shop go to stockmann just for the bakery, for added fun get stuck in an elevator for an hour or so like I did at my hotel..
    It seemed like a good idea at the time officer

IHF Member
    Forgot about this thread, oops! Thanks for the suggestions and help, much appreciated. However, one of the problems I have come across is that it's going to be rather cold, anywhere between -7 and 0, which is cold for me! I'll be okay for clothing, but need some advice on footwear, shall I go for some walking boots?

Im in Helsinki the first weekend of March, to watch the Ski Jumping World Cup and also take in Jokerit-SaiPa.

I'm staying at Omenahotelli, a kind of F1 style hotel where there are no staff but good quality rooms, its really central, but so too is Eurohostel.

Yes it will be cold, and i'd advise walking boots are at least gortex/waterproof walking shoes, also probably want some thermals on underneath (problem is, you'll be so hot when u go inside shops, or more importantly, bars!)

All 3 rinks are easy to get to, HIFKs rink you can take several trams to, probably 3T or 3B are best, but 7A and 7B as well as 4 and 10 will get you within 50 metres of the door!
    Hartwall Areena is one stop out of the central station - take any train which is a letter (eg A,H,M,R etc) ticket is 2e each way.
    Blues arena is the furthest away, but you can get on bus 105 or 109 from Helsinki Bus Station to more or less the door of the arena.

Day time - Olympic Stadium and Tower, Sibelius Monument, Rock Church, Suomenlinna, walk around city centre... if you are there 4 days i would consider a day trip to either Tampere, Turku or even Lahti by train.

What games u going to, and who u flying with?

Thread Information