Thread: Money in latvia?

Money in latvia?

What kind of money can a player make in Latvia? What is the diffence pay wise between
    Lativan league - Belarus league and Riga Dinamo ? I can't imagin that someone playing for
    Latgale Or Ogre could scratch out a decent living. I'm sure if you had a family playing at that level would be nearly impossible .

I have almost no clue. I remember that several seasons ago there was information that the club leaders(of the clubs now playing in Belarus) were earning approx. 2000-3000 Ls/month - ~30 000 USD/season, but those are the leaders. Average wage in Latvia is around 600 Ls/month. But I think that players don't receive that many anymore. Maybe only Ozols, Feldmanis, who are still key players of Metalurgs.

Is 2000-3000 Ls/month good money in Latvia ??? You could make that at BurgerKing here?
    Do the teams offer Housing to the players?
    Last edited by DANGER-MAN; 12-08-2009 at 20:22.

Quote Originally Posted by DANGER-MAN View Post
    Is 2000-3000 Ls/month good money in Latvia ??? You could make that at BurgerKing here?
    Do the team offer Housing to the players?
    I'm still 17 and living with my family, so I don't know that good how much do you need to feed a family, but those 2000-3000 Ls are definitely sufficient. You can't make that kind of money, by working in a fast-food restaurant. It's not easy for me to find a good example where else you could have such a wage, but 2000-3000 Ls is nothing huge.

I have read that junior players, playing in Daugavpils, are provided with a flat. So I suppose the same goes for import players or players which ask for it, but there aren't too many local transfers in Latvia, so I think that players live where they play. Moreover, you can get from one corner of Latvia to the other one in just four hours by car. Of course, taking such a trip dozens of times during a season is exhausting enough to consider to find another place to stay. I'm almost sure that also Metalurgs can provide a flat, because they have a big sport club with basketball and soccer sections. But I'm also pretty sure that Latvian league clubs don't have such a "luxury".

Any Idea about the salaries of players for Riga Dinamo? gotta be quite a bit higher?

Marcel Hossa had the biggest salary last season. It was 0.7 million EUR. I believe, average Latvian player of Dinamo could earn something around 0.2 million USD. After 08-09, Pujacs moved to Sibir where he was reported to earn 0.15 million USD more than he did in Dinamo. Of course, players on the edge of Dinamo and it's farm club would get increasingly less, but still, most likely, more than those 30 000 USD. As of next season, Masalskis, Ozolinsh, Sprukts could earn around 0.5 million USD each. Last season Sprukts earned 0.6 million, while playing in the AHL, so 0.5 would be adequate.

500k not to bad but they are the elite players on that team. How does that compair to the rest of the KHL? Is Riga a lower team when It comes to salaries? What kind of a Crowd does Riga bring in ? Does most of the money come from the gate or Sponsors ?

500k not to bad but they are the elite players on that team. How does that compair to the rest of the KHL? Is Riga a lower team when It comes to salaries? What kind of a Crowd does Riga bring in ? Does most of the money come from the gate or Sponsors ?
    I don't know about the rest of the KHL. Riga has one of the lowest budget's, although it managed to finish 10th in regular season. Arena Riga, which held 2006 WC and has 10.500 seats, usually has a crowd of 5000-6000 people, meanwhile, games against Kazan, Ufa and alikes are almost sold-out (there were two sold-out's last season). Most money comes in from sponsors, because the ticket prices in KHL are pretty low. As far as I have understood, Dinamo Riga has the highest or one of the highest prices in the KHL. Ticket in the best sector cost 20 Ls - ~ 40 USD.

That being said what does it cost to get into the lativan league games? Like (RIga 2000-ASk Ogre-Latgale)

That being said what does it cost to get into the lativan league games? Like (RIga 2000-ASk Ogre-Latgale)
    Basically nothing. Less than 10 USD. 1-2 Ls is, I believe, a standard price. At the Latvian final's it could cost those 10 USD, because then there's at least some interest, but not more. And most of the games are almost empty anyway. Liepaja, Daugavpils generate some interest in local people. So there's no wonder most teams are struggling to exist - there's no local interest, only some media write about Latvian league games, and it doesn't make the headlines anyway, only the final series are shown on TV, so it's also hard for teams to find sponsors.

Is that why Samsung Dropped out?

Is that why Samsung Dropped out?
    I don't know the reason for that. Most probably, they understood the upcoming drop of interest for Latvian league, as it was already known in May, 2008 that the four clubs will play in Belarus + there will be a club in the KHL, so Samsung didn't continue to be the main sponsor of the league. But those two seasons were probably the best ones in the history of Latvian league. None of the Latvian teams playing in Belarus, growing interest in the league, a decent sponsor, a decent homepage with up-to-date statistics, rosters, etc., several regular season games + playoffs shown on TV, an All-Star game. If there weren't KHL, I believe it would have continued. It would be tough with the crisis and everything, but I think it would have survived. IMO, that's the biggest downside of having a club in the KHL.

IHF Member Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
    But Belarus managed to make it through...
    And Kazakhstan is rebounding back, even if they took some questionable decisions and had a deep crisis in the century's start.
    My articles at The Hockey Writers

Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro Seren Rosso View Post
    But Belarus managed to make it through...
    And Kazakhstan is rebounding back, even if they took some questionable decisions and had a deep crisis in the century's start.
    In Belarus and Kazakhstan hockey is strongly backed by their respective governments.

It blows me away that Latvia is alway right in the middle of the pack of big hockey powers year after year with little support . They have to be doing something right. I thought once Irbe retired Latvia would be a D1 team at the Worlds but Latvia finished very strong this year.

Dinamo Riga budget for the next season is approximately 15 million USD. The smallest wage in Dinamo is 1200 euro/month, which is less than I thought players like Meija, Pečura and others, which spend most of the season in the farm club, earn.

It's rumoured that Ozolinsh signed the contract for 0.56 million euro.

It blows me away that Latvia is alway right in the middle of the pack of big hockey powers year after year with little support . They have to be doing something right. I thought once Irbe retired Latvia would be a D1 team at the Worlds but Latvia finished very strong this year.
    Well, I believe it's because of great traditions, good coaches and dedication of players and their parents to sport.
    It can't be said that government in Latvia doesn't support hockey or sport as such. They just can't order to move 10 mio USD from the state's budget to a KHL club or order some big company to sponsor a local clubs. Teams must find sponsors by themselves just like it is happening in other countries- the problem is, these teams have old Soviet style directors and GMs who do not know how to raise money and wait for government should provide for them like in old USSR times...

Yes, one can say that government doesn't support sport as much in Latvia as it should but does Swedish or Finnish governments spend millions of their sports' budgets to sponsor SM or Elitserien clubs...? What exactly have clubs done to promote themselves, what has the league done? Where are good teams' homepages, league homepage? Where do they advertise their clubs? Putting three posters in Ogre centre to come and watch Ogre ASK games is not advertising...

It always strikes me how leagues and sports that are so small in Latvia (or aren't olympic sports) and do not receive any money from government function better and always find money. We have a floorball league here that is much better organised than our hockey, handball or even football leagues. Sure, floorball isn't as expensive sport as hockey but they HAVE VIEWERS, they have HOME PAGES of teams and FANS. And they have SPONSORS.

God, you can get more information about Latvian baseball league than about hockey league...

My personal belief is that the government should spend close to zero on profesional leagues and clubs but concentrate on youth sections. Clubs should find sponsors by themselves, I mean why can numerous amateur leagues find sponsors and put their results online as soon as the games finish but LHF can't??? How is that possible? The answer is that a lot of government's money doesn't go where it should go but go in someone's pocket or for some not so needed stuff.
    Last edited by rusher; 17-08-2009 at 13:19.

Quote Originally Posted by GX View Post
    I have almost no clue. I remember that several seasons ago there was information that the club leaders(of the clubs now playing in Belarus) were earning approx. 2000-3000 Ls/month - ~30 000 USD/season, but those are the leaders. Average wage in Latvia is around 600 Ls/month. But I think that players don't receive that many anymore. Maybe only Ozols, Feldmanis, who are still key players of Metalurgs.
    I believe players who were playing for Ogre, Latgale, R2000 and Liepajas "Metalurgs", at least first 3 lines (4th usually juniors so their parents would still provide them with money) could live with the money.
    Now, this year it will be a lot tougher. Seems like LM and Dinamo Juniors' players will get +/- decent salaries, nothing known about R2000 and Latgale yet but Ogre, it seems, has no decent money and will raise their 1992s...

Thread Information