Thread: CCCP Hockey - Tv Documentary - watch it on the internet

CCCP Hockey - Tv Documentary - watch it on the internet

Earlier this Summer, Swedish Television (SR) broadcasted an interesting documentary on one of the best hockey lines in history: The KLM Line!

Fetisov - Kasatonov - Krutov - Larionov - Makarov.

The documentary is made by Bengt Löfgren (director) and Malcom Dixelius (historian expert) and took two years two made. It follows the tracks of the KLM line, both in USA and Russia, interviews the players about life now and then and look back at the rise and fall of Soviet Union from the perspective of the players.

"It is a story of self-sacrifice and ironhard demands, about the unhuman price that many Soviet athletic heros paid to make progress, and its a story about the revolt that took place in 1989 orchestred by Larionov and Fetisov...CCCP Hockey is contemporary history about five hockey players who became their nation's heroes, about how their nation disappeared, and how they were forced to establish a new life and identity in a changed world".

It's a pity that the documentary is in Swedish. It is arguably one of the best and most interesting hockey documentaries ever made. But at least you will be able to watch the pictures where you will find many "surprising and publicly new sequences from the archives of the Big Red Machine of the 1970s and 80s".

So grab a beer or a cup of coffee. The documentary last 51 minute:

You can watch it here (requires RealPlayer):

http://svt.se/svt/jsp/Crosslink.jsp?d=14020&a=204720

Click: 'CCCP Hockey'
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Karsten; 18-08-2004 at 02:41.

Forgot to add, that if you understand Russian (I know that some of you do), then you will be perfectly able to watch the documentary.

I re-watched the programme the other day. Interesting stuff that has a lot of meaning to the recent quarrals in the Russian camp.

I also altered my view on Tikhonov. He locked the players into a remote training camp for 11 months of the year. The players had to do 4 training passes a day and they were not allowed to have any physical contact with their wifes and children. How I understand Larionov and Slava. These guys were very brave to stand up against the system.

Btw., for the first time the public is able to see how the training camp was like. In the programme, Makarov takes the camara crew on a tour.

The KLM Line - by Patrick Houda

IHF Prospect

CCCP Hockey

Do you have a current url for the tv doucmentary titled CCCP Hockey?

Thank you....

Mike

mil8@lehigh.edu

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    Do you have a current url for the tv doucmentary titled CCCP Hockey?

Thank you....

Mike

mil8@lehigh.edu
    mike, I'm not sure the video is available on the net any longer. you can get it on the DVD market.

Here is the link to the documentary but no video link:

http://svt.se/svt/jsp/Crosslink.jsp?d=10652&a=197006

You may attempt to google "CCCP hockey dokumentär"

Btw, if you google "CCCP hockey documentary" and click on google's #1 top link, you just get back to our forum. :claphands

Here is a presentation in English. The documentary has won several prizes and is absolutely a must for every hockey fan interested in the history of international hockey:

http://svt.se/svt/jsp/Crosslink.jsp?d=38273&a=270492

Good stuff, DC.

IHF Member
    can this documentary still be found? I would be very interested in watching it if anyone knows where it can be viewed. Thanks, hope to hear a reply...

Thread Information