Thread: New Ice Rink in Istanbul

Turkey New Ice Rink in Istanbul

This article says that an ice rink will open in October of Zeytinburnu in Istanbul (I think). That's what I gleamed from my intermediate Turkish skills. Does anybody else have any information about this? Is it true? (If so, yipee!!)

http://www.emlakkulisi.com/21509_ist...imde_acilacak_
    -------------------
    Georgetown Hockey
    Gonzaga Hockey

Here's the google translation of another story from http://www.sporx.com/digersporlar/buzpateni/165004/

Ice skating complex in Istanbul

Skating in sports will help a great lack of Istanbul Ice Skating Complex, after 15 years, will enter service in October. Lasting approximately 15 years, making Zeytinburnu ice skating complex, Youth and Sports General Directorate, Ice Skating Federation and the Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality in cooperation with the efforts will be completed by early October. Consisting of three blocks and has an area of 8 thousand 950 square meter complex, 1 in the international scale, 2 ice skating rink is located.

(A) in Block 1740 square meters, ice hockey match also an ice rink could be done, (C) and 600 square meters in Block ice rink was another. (B) Blok'ta ise sosyal ve idari birimler yer alacak. (B) the social and administrative units will be included in Block.
    -------------------
    Georgetown Hockey
    Gonzaga Hockey

Hey Mr Hardy, just noticed this post now.. A bit tired now long day, but I can see if I can translate it for you tomorrow and post the translation.. The most important thing is that it is going to be supposedly opened end of October... but I would say seeing is believing. Let me know if you still need the translation.
    Guildford Flames until the end! :)

GUILDFORD FLAMES EPL LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2007- 2008

GUILDFORD FLAMES EPL CUP CHAMPIONS 2009 -2010:c032:

GUILDFORD FLAMES 2010-2011 EPL PLAYOFF CHAMPIONS:-)

IHF Prospect
    it's true that istanbul rink will be open in early october. the article above mentions the history of the rink. it has been built for 15 years and every year it was said that it would open. yet, it is real now, since turkish ice skating federation will host a ISU grand prix, (bosphorus junior grand prix) http://www.buzpateni.org.tr/Bosphoru...or_Grand_Prix/ ) which will be a prestige organization for istanbul. there will be 111 participant skaters from 33 countries, which possibly means it will be the biggest skating champ in turkey.so the government and the municipiality have to finish it now. but cady is maybe right, i also have to see to belive.on the other hand, it will be really destructive for turkish ice skating federation unless it is completed.

the article also says, there is another but smaller ice rink in addition to one international size hockey rink. also, it has additional facilities like fitness center, cafes, and the capacity will be 900.

This will be excellent news for Istanbul if the rink is opened. Every world class city (and Istanbul is definately a world class city) should have its own ice rink. I commend all of you Turks who waited SO long for this and pressured people to make it happen.

(And if it doesn't open this time around - keep pressuring! Don't give up! I have found that getting things accomplished in this region requires real perseverence - but eventually such things can be achieved!)
    -------------------
    Georgetown Hockey
    Gonzaga Hockey

I had Tuesday off, so I took a trip over to Zeytinburnu and saw the new rink. It looks great!! I saw them installing the boards on the Olympic size rink, and it looked like they were almost finished. It is scheduled to open on October 14 for a figure skating competition. I took some pictures, but the employee I talked to asked me not to share until after the opening.

The rink is on Hisaralti Caddesi, Zeytinburnu - near Namik Sevik Stadium - right next to the old city wall.
    -------------------
    Georgetown Hockey
    Gonzaga Hockey

IHF Prospect
    Hey Mr. Hardy!

I'm a player living in İstanbul. I haven't read everything you wrote but i may answer your questions and if you want i may give information about the teams in İstanbul. I'm a female but I know male teams too.

New Rink in Zeytinburnu, Istanbul

Since it has already opened, I think it is alright to post these...

-------------------
    Georgetown Hockey
    Gonzaga Hockey

OK - so apparently the rink hasn't opened... It was used for the Oct. 15 figure skating tournament but is now inactive. From what I can tell, there is nobody to manage it and no money to begin operations. Does anybody else know what is going on here?
    -------------------
    Georgetown Hockey
    Gonzaga Hockey

IHF Member
    According to the Federation website, there have been contacts with Istanbul Metropolitan Municipiality (İstanbul Büyükşehir Belediyesi) regarding opening the new olympic ice rink facility in Silivrikapı. Here is a relatively complete translation of the announcement.

Construction of the facility was completed in time to host the International ISU Bosphorus Cup, organized by the Turkish Ice Skating Federation and ISU between 14th-18th October, with participants from 35 countries. Just as the ice skating and hockey communities were rejoicing after what has been a 20 year wait for the facility, it was thawed out and decommissioned immediately following the Bosphorus Cup.

The Turkish Ice Hockey Federation joined together with the Ice Skating Federation to form a delegation to undertake visits to Istanbul Metropolitan Municipiality to speed up the process of opening the facility for public use.

The delegation's first stop was the office of IMM General Secretary Adem Baştürk. In an apparently very positive meeting, Mr. Baştürk expressed great joy in learning that the federations were following up and supporting the opening of the facility. The General Secretary promised to give the necessary support to ensure that the facility is opened before the new year.

The delegation's next stop was Alpaslan Baki Ertekin, General Manager of Spor A.Ş., which is the sports company offshoot of the IMM. During the apparently very friendly dialogue, it was expressed that an agreement had been reached regarding the immediate training in Kocaeli of personel that will work in the new facility and that both federations were ready to provide any support in regards to the operation of the facility. Mr. Ertekin stated that the facility will be opened as soon as the IMM Building Works office completed the official handing over of the building to Spor A.Ş.

The Federation gave a report to the IMM Building Works Manager İsa Camcı on the current shortcomings of the building that need to be addressed in order for the facility to start service as well as stating what support the Federation could provide the municipiality. Mr. Camcı, who understood the importance of the subject, stated that he would with the help of the Federation relay the shortcomings of the facility to Spor A.Ş.

IHF Member
    We have put up detailed pictures of the new rink on our Facebook page, soon to follow are much more on our website.

Here is the link:
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=90c506c615

Here is an article from the Hurriyet Daily News on the new ice rink...

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/n.p...off-2010-01-03
    -------------------
    Georgetown Hockey
    Gonzaga Hockey

IHF Member
    What is the Adress of this rink ?

IHF Member
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.055189&z=14

Hisaralti Caddesi, Zeytinburnu, Istanbul - use googlemaps and you can find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelique View Post
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.055189&z=14

Hisaralti Caddesi, Zeytinburnu, Istanbul - use googlemaps and you can find it.
    Just inside the old Theodosian City Walls of Constantinople ?

Cool to see a city with so much history (ie, Capital of the Roman and Ottoman Empires from 330-1453/1453-1922, and where "East" meets "West") have an ice rink within it's historical city limits!

I'll definitely have to visit it during my next trip to İstanbul.

IHF Prospect
    New to Turkey, I play goal and am wondering, when this rink gets up and running, is there going to be "free practice" or "stick & puck" times of ad lib hockey games that I can show up at? Also, is everyone going to be driving there? any suggestions on public transportation use?

IHF Member
    The rink is already operational, well into its second year. There is pick-up on Monday and Wednesday nights organized by some American and Canadian guys. Many drive, but there are public transportation options as well. If you are on Facebook, search for Istanbul Hockey Bastards.

Thread Information