Thread: Australian Ice Hockey League - 2010

IHF Member

Australia Australian Ice Hockey League - 2010

Teams: (click on name to see websites)

Goodall Cup & AIHL Playoffs winners:

2000: Adelaide Avalanche
    2001: Adelaide Avalanche
    2001 Goodall Cup: Sydney Bears
    2002: Sydney Bears (first year Goodall Cup awarded for AIHL Championship)
    2003: Newcastle North Stars
    2004: Western Sydney Ice dogs
    2005: Newcastle North Stars
    2006: Newcastle North Stars
    2007: The Bears
    2008: Newcastle North Stars
    2009: Adelaide Adrenaline

Goodall Cup was initially withdrawn from the AIHL by the custodians, Ice Hockey Australia, for their own centenary celebrations in 2009. Following the 2009 AIHL Finals and the Goodall Cup Centenary, IHA reversed their decision and awarded the Adelaide Adrenaline the Goodall Cup.

Consequently the new trophy created by the AIHL, the AIHL Champions Trophy, is now awarded to the winners of the regular season.

AIHL Champions Trophy winners (minor premiers):

2009: Newcastle North Stars

Offical league website:
    http://theaihl.com.au

League schedule (calendar form) for 2010
    Last edited by oznthstar; 18-06-2010 at 10:13. Reason: Added new map + inset

IHF Member
    First piece of new is that the Gold Coast Blue Tongues will be welcoming AIHL top scorer and 2009 season MVP Brad Smulders back into their team for 2010.

Quite a significant signing for so early in the recruiting season!

Profile:
    http://www.theaihl.com/leagues/roste...layerID=529122

GCBT Press Release:
    http://www.bluetongues.com.au/Blue-T...-for-2010.html

IHF Member

Australia Aihl agm 2009

The AIHL will be holding their Annual General Meeting in Melbourne at the new Docklands rink (under construction) on Saturday the 28th of November.

The current committee is expected to stand with the exception of Business Development/Marketing Director. I don't know who's been nominated for that role, if any.

This is usually the one time of year that all board members and team owners are in the same place.

I don't know if the Rhinos have reapplied to join the league, I don't think they have. Any new prospective teams will have their prospectus reviewed and voted upon, if any.

The AIHL is planning on holding the 2010 Finals series at the new Australian Winter Olympic Docklands stadium, the "Ice House" on the last weekend of August or possibly the first weekend of September.

IHF Prospect
    Thanks for the info Oznthstar

One mistake I noticed however. Adelaide won the Championship in 2000 and 2001. You have Sydney as the winner in 2001.

Sydney won in 2002 when they beat Adelaide in the final (I was at the game, and it was a beauty!)

2010 will be a big year

Newcastle have won 4 cups this decade
    Adelaide have won 3
    Sydney have won 2
    West Sydney have won 1

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hockey99 View Post
    Thanks for the info Oznthstar

One mistake I noticed however. Adelaide won the Championship in 2000 and 2001. You have Sydney as the winner in 2001.

Sydney won in 2002 when they beat Adelaide in the final (I was at the game, and it was a beauty!)

2010 will be a big year

Newcastle have won 4 cups this decade
    Adelaide have won 3
    Sydney have won 2
    West Sydney have won 1
    Not a mistake actually, but we're both right here.

Adelaide won the AIHL (separate to the Goodall Cup) in 2000 and 2001.
    Bears won the Goodall Cup in Newcastle in 2001 (I'm not sure who won it i 2000).
    In 2002 the two were joined and Bears won it in the Final at Blacktown.

I didn't do the original history above and it looks like it was done as a Goodall Cup history.

Interestingly on the Goodall Cup itself is says Adelaide won it in 2001. I've mentioned to IHA that it was incorrect but I don't think they wanted to change it :)
    I'm sure the Bears feel differently.

IHF Member
    AIHL AGM was held in Melbourne last Saturday, the 28th of November.

Four new directors were elected, after three didn't nominate for re-election.

There was one new team applying for entry, with the result yet to be determined and announced.

We inspected the new rink, in its final stages of development. The major construction is complete and it's fit-out time, with the rest of the seats, dasherboards, retail and other supporting facilities.

Lights were on and it's good for photography in there, a nice change to most Aussie rinks!

Very exciting times for the sport in Australia, especially in Victoria.

I'll have photos and more news later on this.

IHF Member
    There will be the same seven teams playing in the AIHL in 2010 as in 2009.
    The schedule is being worked on but I haven't seen any drafts yet.

There will likely be some exhibition games against the new prospective team, the Brisbane Pandas.

I think the level of the AIHL this year will be the best ever, and it's the 10th anniversary season for the AIHL.

IHF Member
    2010 schedule will be released tomorrow.

Seven teams, 84 games, 19 weeks including finals.

"Pandas"? Really? Hmmmm.......

Marc, punch a panda and steal his bamboo.

Any questions? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Marc, punch a panda and steal his bamboo.

Any questions? lol
    Game, Set, Match.

Pwned.

It's.......just not tough.

IHF Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    It's.......just not tough.
    Don't tell me that if you saw that running toward you in a mall you wouldn't be afraid.

Besides, this team is also from the state that chose a lizard that eats bugs and fruit as its mascot for their first team. I consider a panda to be a huge upgrade on my scariness-o-meter.
    Melbourne Ice - Chicago Blackhawks - HK Gladiators Trnava - Dukla Trencin - ┌jpesti TE - Ak Bars Kazan

IHF Prospect
    has anybody some statistics and rankings from the former AIHL league, the NSW Super League?

the Super League was founded in 1982 and active till 1999. i know just the winners and the rankings 1988, 1992 and 1993. im looking for results, rankings, topscorer from the years 1982-87, 1989-91 and from 1994-99. it's not easy to find, because also Ice Hockey Australia doesn't have the rankings!

IHF Member
    MK your best bet would be to get in contact with IHNSW rather than IHA as the comp was NSW based.

Wayne Hellier and a few other guys of the old guard are still around and may records or at least good memories on a lot of history of the old Superleagues.

IHF Member
    Melbourne Ice - Chicago Blackhawks - HK Gladiators Trnava - Dukla Trencin - ┌jpesti TE - Ak Bars Kazan

IHF Member

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MK Hockey View Post
    has anybody some statistics and rankings from the former AIHL league, the NSW Super League?

the Super League was founded in 1982 and active till 1999. i know just the winners and the rankings 1988, 1992 and 1993. im looking for results, rankings, topscorer from the years 1982-87, 1989-91 and from 1994-99. it's not easy to find, because also Ice Hockey Australia doesn't have the rankings!
    yes, have it. Send me please a PM.
    Cheers, Franco

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oznthstar View Post
    MK your best bet would be to get in contact with IHNSW rather than IHA as the comp was NSW based.

Wayne Hellier and a few other guys of the old guard are still around and may records or at least good memories on a lot of history of the old Superleagues.
    yes, correct...... but since approx seven (!!) years he promised me to send me some older stats from the earlier AIHL-League season's..... I saw him also in 2005 in Jaca/Spain and asked again..... but I've never received any piece of paper...
    Cheers, Franco

IHF Member
    Last edited by Bagratid; 28-06-2010 at 04:51.

IHF Member
    Round 8 - 12th June 2010

Saturday 12th June

Sydney Ice Dogs - Newcastle Northstars 2-6 (0-2,2-2,0-2)

All complete boxscores can be found at theaihl.com.au

IHF Member

IHF Member
    Standings

Team GPWSOWLSOLPts
    1. Sydney Bears13803226
    2. Melbourne Ice10603119
    3. Newcastle Northstars9261018
    4. Adelaide Avalanche11423218
    5. Gold Coast Blue Tongues10504116
    6. Canberra Knights10406012
    7. Sydney Ice Dogs13101025

Top Scorers

TeamGPGAP
    1. Jason BacligMelbourne Ice10180826
    2. Vlady RubesSydney Bears13061723
    3. Peter CartwrightNewcastle Northstars08111122
    4. Dallas CostanzoGold Coast Blue Tongues10081422
    5. Brian BalesNewcastle Nortstars08071522
    6. Greg OddyAdelaide Adrenaline09071522

Top Goalies

TeamMinGAAvgSOSV%
    1. Nick BoucherSydney Bears269081.341.957
    2. Ryan LoweCanberra Knights451383.790.894

IHF Member
    There has been talk about several new teams looking to enter the AIHL in the coming seasons.

Melbourne Mustangs
    With the new rink in Melbourne a push for a second Melbourne team has begun.

The Mustangs already have a full squad and are training weekly at the moment. They are currently playing a series of exhibition games with the aim of entering the AIHL in 2011, although 2012 is probably more likely.

The Mustangs played their first ever game against another hopeful team the Western Thunder (a team from Perth) and won 7-6.

The will also play a traveling junior team from Kelowna and then go on a road trip to play exhibition games against the Newcastle Northstars, Gold Coast Blue Tongues and the Gold Coast Grizzlies (a local senior team).

The Mustangs already have one committed import in former Melbourne Ice player Scott Corbet and have had expressions of interest from former imports Matt Watkins and Keith Seckington.

Western Thunder
    A team from Perth in Western Australia. The Western Thunder played two exhibition games against Melbourne Ice last year. This year they traveled to Melbourne where they lost 4-0 against the Ice and 7-6 against the Mustangs.

Melbourne Ice – Western Thunder

While a team from Perth would easily have the talent to compete at the AIHL level their location means that their entry to the league is probably still a while off.

The trip to Perth can takes upwards of 6-7 hours meaning the the time and costs involved would be prohibitive for the moment. Sadly for ice hockey in Western Australia, I think the expansion of the AIHL for the next few years will be restricted to the Eastern seaboard.

New Zealand
    There have been suggestions of a team from New Zealand joining the AIHL. Especially after the publishing of this article on the IIHF website.

New Zealand aims for the next level

Once again time and travel costs could be a problem as well as the fact that New Zealand’s current league set-up is working very well so they might be hesitant to change a winning formula.

For those of you interested, more information on the Western Thunder, the Mustangs and a potential NZ team can be found here and here and here.

HP is an Australian ice hockey forum (and I think you might have to register to view the pages) but those discussions have some interesting information and a few photos of the game as well.

IHF Member
    I would also suggest that people take a look at some of the websites of the AIHL clubs.

Several clubs have put a lot of work into their sites and they now provide quite a bit of information on the clubs, their players and a few of them even have some video highlights (particularly the Bears and Ice Dogs).

Sydney Ice Dogs
    Sydney Bears
    Newcastle Northstars
    Melbourne Ice
    Gold Coast Blue Tongues
    Canberra Knights

I would strongly recommend the Ice Dogs site for anyone wishing to get a look at some game footage from the AIHL.

For those interested in some game photos there are also some sites run by a few avid photographers:
    Here are most Adelaide Adrenaline home game photos plus some interested sections on the history of ice hockey in Australia.

Plus lots of game galleries from a lot of games in NSW from Wulos here.

IHF Member

IHF Member
    Mid Season

1. Sydney Bears

Started the season slowly but after the arrival of their starting goalie they have won 7 of the last 10. They have been led by their import goalie Nick Boucher who has been brilliant and their ageless Vlady Rubes. A lot of their better local players have missed a number of games early in the season. Will most likely make the finals this year having played most of the harder games already.

2. Melbourne Ice

Tied in second place on points with the Blue Tongues, Melbourne could take first place as they have 2 games in hand over the Bears. Have settled in to their new rink perfectly, winning 5 from 6 at home and outscoring their opponents 32-10 in the process. They had continued their tradition of having the stingiest defence in the league and have found a gem in Jason Baclig.

3. Gold Coast Blue Tongues

Like Melbourne, they have games in hand and could steal first place in the next few weeks. As a team they have been quite inconsistent, looking terrific one week and then slightly pedestrian the next. Have been hurt by the fact that Brad Smulders pulled out but Constanzo and McRae filled in well. Have just finished a very successful road trip and have a big double-header against Melbourne at home next week.

4. Newcastle Northstars

Are in much the same position at Melbourne and the Gold Coast. Have played well but were hurt by their inability to win games in regulation early in the season. Cartwright and Bales have been responsible for the majority of Newcastle's goals and have been well supported by Newcastle's first wave of homegrown talent. However, the second half of the season will be difficult with the gruelling Adelaide, Melbourne and Gold Coast road trips still to come.

5. Adelaide Adrenaline

Adelaide have struggled on the road, only winning their first away game of the season this weekend against Melbourne. Adelaide has had its success thanks largely to its local talent and its depth, with eight players averaging over a point per game. They have a good chance to sneak into the top four as they play the lowly Ice Dogs and Knights 5 times in the second half of the season as well as facing Newcastle and Melbourne at home.

6. Canberra Knights

Canberra look set to miss the playoffs once again. Despite only winning four games so far, the Knights have played deceptively well so far this season. They have had good performances from their imports (in particular their goalie Ryan Lowe) and their local players. However, they have generally struggled to play a full game at top pace, often competing with the top teams for two out of three periods.

7. Sydney Ice Dogs

Have been simply horrible this season. Despite a good group of local players the Ice Dogs have been hurt by terrible discipline with the team averaging 45 PIM a game. The main offenders have been imports Campbell and Di Christoforo who have also been disappointing with the scoring department. The only bright light is the play of their young players Billy Cliff and Nathan Walker (who has just returned from Czech Republic).

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagratid View Post
    Round 10 - 26th to 27th June 2010

Sunday 27th June

Sydney Bears - Gold Coast Blue Tongues 2-4 (0-1,1-1,1-2)
    All complete boxscores can be found at theaihl.com.au
    Is this correct, that Nick Boucher was the Bears GK for that game (Gabriel Robledo as backup)?? There is nothing on the gamesheet....

Thanks guys...
    Cheers, Franco

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagratid View Post
    I would also suggest that people take a look at some of the websites of the AIHL clubs.

Several clubs have put a lot of work into their sites and they now provide quite a bit of information on the clubs, their players and a few of them even have some video highlights (particularly the Bears and Ice Dogs).

Sydney Ice Dogs
    Sydney Bears
    Newcastle Northstars
    Melbourne Ice
    Gold Coast Blue Tongues
    Canberra Knights

I would strongly recommend the Ice Dogs site for anyone wishing to get a look at some game footage from the AIHL.

For those interested in some game photos there are also some sites run by a few avid photographers:
    Here are most Adelaide Adrenaline home game photos plus some interested sections on the history of ice hockey in Australia.

Plus lots of game galleries from a lot of games in NSW from Wulos here.
    it's great to see, that mostly pages are now with much more information. There is only one page, which has by the player profiles no d.o.b. Strange for me, because all other infos you can find (it's the Melbourne page...). But I agree, much better, than some years ago. In general, it makes absolutelly fun to search on this pages.

15 years ago, there was absolutelly nothing to find about Aussie ice hockey in the Net..... so, well done Australia. You're absolutelly on the right way.
    Cheers, Franco

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Is this correct, that Nick Boucher was the Bears GK for that game (Gabriel Robledo as backup)?? There is nothing on the gamesheet....

Thanks guys...
    Yes that is true. Here is confirmation. I imagine the AIHL site will get updated very soon.

IHF Member
    Big weekend just finished.

Melbourne Ice picked up the maximum available points from their Gold Coast road trip and moved into first position. Newcastle managed to win both games against the Sydney Ice Dogs and Canberra sit a point behind Melbourne in second, however, they still have two games in hand. Newcastle travel to Melbourne and Adelaide this weekend.

Adelaide squandered a golden opportunity to cement their playoff spot, only managing shootout wins against bottom teams Sydney and Canberra (including a double-point game against Canberra).

Sydney Bears had no games this weekend and now sit in 4th with games in hand. They travel to the Gold Coast this weekend for a double header. Depending on the results, both teams can move back into the top four and Sydney has a chance to regain top spot.

IHF Member
    2010 AIHL 10th Anniversary Finals: Press Release

The Australian Ice Hockey league celebrates its 10th anniversary at Melbourne's new Docklands Olympic dual-rink venue, the Icehouse.Each season the best four ice hockey teams in Australia meet to play for the Goodall Cup, continuing a 101 year old tradition first played for by New South Wales and Victoria in 1909 in Melbourne.

The finals tournament consists of two sudden-death semi-finals on the Saturday, followed by the grand final on the Sunday evening in order to crown the Australian Champions.

The 2010 finals signify a milestone, both for Victoria's ice hockey scene and the AIHL.

The Australian Ice Hockey League has progressed from the original three teams (Adelaide, Canberra and Sydney) into a steady league of seven teams, now including Melbourne, Gold Coast, Newcastle and a second Sydney team.

The new Icehouse facility is an Australian first, with two rinks, 1000 seats over the main rink (fully glassed), and change rooms, catering and corporate facilities necessary to host ice sports events and Australia's Winter Olympic Institute.

While the four finalists teams are yet to be determined, Melbourne Ice currently sit in second place and seem fairly secure of being able to play host to another three teams on the last weekend of August, the 28th and 29th.

League chairman Tim Frampton says that the Icehouse is an ideal venue for this year's finals tournament.

"It is only fitting that the elite mens ice hockey competition in Australia is being played at arguably the elite hockey rink in the country.

"Melbourne Ice has been bringing in crowds where there is standing room only at all their games at the Icehouse, and ice hockey is winning strong recognition in Victoria.

"This year's finals are a great opportunity to showcase the Ĺcoolest game on earthĺ in a world class venue."

Tickets are expected to go on sale at the end of July, with generous packages and family passes to be offered.

http://theaihl.com

IHF Member

IHF Member
    With nearly two-thirds of the season gone the picture for the finals is starting to take shape. Both Canberra and the Sydney Ice Dogs have no hope of making the finals, leaving a fight for the final four positions between the five remaining teams.

In Adelaide, the Ice and the Adrenaline played out a thrilling double header. In two entertaining games Melbourne took the points in a shootout on Saturday before Adelaide got their revenge on Sunday. The games were notable for their clean, hard hockey and multiple lead changes.

After going through a purple patch to race up the standings, the Bears have hit a rough spot over the last two weeks. In a very physical game that included numerous fights, the Bears were downed by their cross town rivals. To add insult to injury, their fiery derby earned them a number of suspensions so their entered Sunday's game with a depleted bench and were duly beaten by the Northstars who moved into first position.

The Gold Coast had a bye this week but now have games in hand over the Bears and Adrenaline and will have an opportunity to claim third position and leave Adelaide and Sydney fighting over the final playoff spot.

IHF Member
    Last edited by Bagratid; 05-08-2010 at 02:46.

IHF Member

IHF Member

IHF Member
    Just a correction to an earlier post.

Brian Bales and Peter Cartwright are Americans, products of Anchorage Alaska.

At this stage, the North Stars are ensured to finish the season in 1st or 2nd place, with the Ice ensured 1st, 2nd or 3rd place.

Blue Tongues require a perfect 9 points from their last 3 games and for the Bears to register 0 points from their last 4 games for them to beat the Bears to the finals, nearly an impossibility.

At this stage it's probably just a question of who finishes the season third or fourth.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    it's great to see, that mostly pages are now with much more information. There is only one page, which has by the player profiles no d.o.b. Strange for me, because all other infos you can find (it's the Melbourne page...). But I agree, much better, than some years ago. In general, it makes absolutelly fun to search on this pages.

15 years ago, there was absolutelly nothing to find about Aussie ice hockey in the Net..... so, well done Australia. You're absolutelly on the right way.
    Date of Birth information is a privacy concern and can be used in identity theft, etc.
    Personally I feel that identity theft is mostly effective against people with a low public profile, i.e. not hockey players, but if a team requests it, it has to be the same for all.

IHF Member
    Just a note that we WILL be broadcasting LIVE over the internet for the finals.

$6 per game

It will be multiple camera, with expert commentary, and in Australia's newest and grandest ice faciity, the Docklands Ice House.

Details below, links to purchase should go up on Friday.
    http://www.theaihl.com/leagues/custo...56&pageID=8866
    Last edited by oznthstar; 26-08-2010 at 03:25. Reason: updated

IHF Member

IHF Member

Australia

2010 AIHL Goodall Cup Finals

Saturday 28th August
    4.00pm AEST (0600 UST)

Newcastle North Stars (1) play Adelaide Adrenaline (4) in Semi Final #1

Saturday 28th August
    7.30pm AEST (0930 UST)

Melbourne Ice (2) play Sydney Bears (3) in Semi Final #2

Sunday 29th August
    4.00pm AEST (0600 UST)

Winners of Semi Finals #1 and Semi Final #2 play for Australian Championship & Goodall Cup.

Live InternetTV streaming available at $6 AUD each game.
    For details see:
    http://www.theaihl.com/leagues/custo...56&pageID=8866

IHF Member

IHF Member

Semi Finals

Semi Finals:

Semi 1 - Melbourne Ice vs Sydney Bears

1st Period: Ice 0 Bears 1
    2nd Period: Ice 0 Bears 1
    Final Score: Ice 2 Bears 1

Boxscore Semi 1

Semi 2 - Newcastle North Stars vs Adelaide Adrenaline

1st Period: North Stars 2 Adrenaline 4
    2nd Period: North Stars 2 Adrenaline 6
    Final Score: North Stars 6 Adrenaline 7

Boxscore Semi 2

Last edited by Bagratid; 02-09-2010 at 02:47.

IHF Member

Grand Final

Grand Final:

Grand Final - Melbourne Ice vs Adelaide Adrenaline

1st Period: Ice 2 Adrenaline 2
    2nd Period: Ice 4 Adrenaline 3
    Final Score: Ice 6 Adrenaline 4

Boxscore Grand Final

Melbourne Ice are the 2010 Australian champions!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information