Thread: a few countries jerseys

a few countries jerseys

hi
    i am looking for a few countries jerseys, past and present
    here are the countries:
    1: australia
    2: united kingdom (include england and scotland because i think they had there own jersey)
    3: east germany
    4: japan

thanks

IHF Member
    Hello goalieboy82!

If you have patience to wait for a proper source;

On another thread Karsten told about his team-project with another hockey-experts about a book being published sometime in 2010, that has the best stats and the best pics one can hope for!

All the best
    Jukka

(PS. I have been collecting info and pics ever since 1996 and have learnt to be patient, despite my impulsiveness!)

Norrland (the northern province of Sweden)
    I will add some pictures with different East German jerseys in the coming days. If I have any of the other teams you mentioned, I will add them too.

IHF Member
    Hello Yardbird!

If I remember correctly, there was a colour photo of a (practice) game between Australia and Canada on these boards!

Unfortunately I haven't caught it!

All the best
    Jukka

^^

I'm very sorry but I must have missed that picture. Can't remember that I've seen it.

Anyway, to the East German jerseys:

Here is a picture from a friendly game between Sweden and East Germany in 1965. East Germany in white jerseys with black, red and yellow stripes. They had that jersey for a couple of years in the beginning of the 60:s. I've seen a picture on a German site where they were playing in a similar jersey, this time in red but I don't remember where I saw it. If I find it, then I post it.

Legendary goalkeeper Peter Kolbe (the white mask) in the game against Sweden in 1966 where he saved 73 of 74 shots (East germany won, 4-1). The jersey is plain blue, numbers on back and sleeves are red with a little white. East German Coat of Arms in red and gold.

Legendary goalkeeper Klaus Hirche (the black mask) in the white GDR jersey from the end of the 60:s. The jersey is white with blue shoulders and red numbers on sleeve.

A friendly game between East Germany and Sweden in 1967. East Germany in blue jerseys.

A picture from the Sweden-East Germany game in WC 1970 taken from the cover of a small sports encyclopedia "Sporthandboken". The picture shows Sweden's Tord Lundström and East German goalie Klaus Hirche.

USSR-East Germany in the 1974 WC tournament.

This picture is from the game Poland-East Germany in the 1974 WC tournament. The East German goalie is Wolfgang Fischer (another black mask) and East Germany wore red jerseys in this game.

There are some more action pictures from East Germany games in the post "FRG sweater in Grenoble" in the "History of ice hockey" thread.
    Last edited by yardbird; 23-12-2009 at 10:03.

IHF Member
    Hello Yardbird!

Great photos, thank you a lot!

I will add the following thread too to the list;

Team West-Germany 19691

All the best
    Jukka

IHF Prospect
    Hi Guys from Finland and Sweden,

please help me, I need to find some pictures of the national team jerseys from 1980s. I beleive one of your national teams or both had a polar bear on their jerseys but not sure.

Thanks

Gdr wm1985

Hi,
    There is a picture GDR team from WC 1985 in Prague & picture poster before WC 1978 in Prague

www.mmdresy.estranky.sk .... coming soon history all country national jerseys
    Last edited by marijo19; 10-12-2009 at 00:56.

Quote Originally Posted by jukka ruskeeahde View Post
    Hello goalieboy82!

If you have patience to wait for a proper source;

On another thread Karsten told about his team-project with another hockey-experts about a book being published sometime in 2010, that has the best stats and the best pics one can hope for!
    Jukka, publishing date is still up in the air. We want to get it right and theres a lot of stats to be processed (some 3,000 condensed A4 pages) which furthermore require detailed quality control. We haven't got around to images yet, but yes, we have a ton and a lot of unpublished or rare material, incl. images of DDR hockey.

IHF Member
    Hello you all!

Karsten, thank you for the information!

And here is a team photo of Great Britain 1937!

All the best
    Jukka
    Attached Images Attached Images

IHF Member
    in regards to pictures of teams jerseys.. heres a pretty good video of all usa jerseys in olympic competition from 1920-2010.. found this on the USA hockey website..

http://usahockey.cachefly.net/oly_teams.mov

IHF Member
    Hello you all!

Just found the following clip from 1960 Squaw Valley, Australia vs. Japan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzdbGilL9y8

All the best
    Jukka

IHF Prospect
    I can help you with some Australian Jerseys.

email me: glenfoll@optusnet.com.au

IHF Member
    Wow, I love a good picture-posting thread! I can add some...

All of the followng are from the 1960 Winter Olympics :

FIN vs. AUS

Jukka - was this the picture you were thinking of?

Here is a closeup of the yellow Australia sweater :

Finally, here is a good look at the Japan sweater being worn in the video posted earlier by Jukka :

That video is awesome, full colour showing the gorgeous red/white Japan sweaters and the green/yellow Australians in action! Until I saw that, I didn't even know the Australians had a green jersey in 1960 (all of the other pictures I have are of ywllow ones).

I will post more when I get a chance!

IHF Member
    Hello alli2002!

Great, a colour photo of Team Finland from Squaw Valley, thanks!

Yes, it's the Canada vs. Australia game, that I was talking about!

So, merci beaucoup in your other national language!

All the best
    Jukka

IHF Member
    Did East Germany wear blue jerseys in the 1980's?

Quote Originally Posted by nutbar View Post
    Did East Germany wear blue jerseys in the 1980's?
    I'm not sure about the end of the 80's. In 1983 and 1985 they had red jerseys as their dark jersey.

I was looking at marijo19's excellent site at www.mmdresy.estranky.sk and wanted to add some comments.

In the WC tournament in Vienna 1967, the Czechoslovak team actually played in three different jerseys, one blue, one red and one white.

In the game against Sweden, the Czechoslovak team had red jerseys.

In the game against Canada, the Czechoslovak team had blue Jerseys. OK, the photo is black and white but you can see the white stripes and the somewhat lighter dark stripes on the jerseys which are red. Red is often lighter than blue on black and white pictures. The Czechoslovak player is Jaroslav Jiřík and the Canadian goalie is Seth Martin. They also played in blue against Finland.

In the game against the USSR, the Czechoslovak team had white jerseys. The USSR player is Anatolij Firsov and the Czechoslovak player is Václav Nedomanský.

I would also like to add that in1973, the Czechoslovak team had a white jersey as well.

And a comment about the GDR jersey in the WC tournament in Prague 1978.

Despite the picture of a program from the tournament in marijo 19's previous post where the GDR player had a somewhat different jersey, the GDR team did have the same jerseys in the tournament of 1978 as they had in the 1974 and 1976 tournaments which the picture above shows. The light jerseys were white with blue shoulders and the dark jerseys were red with white shoulders. The players on the picture are Swedens Rolf Edberg and GDR goalie Wolfgang Kraske. Note also the Swedish jersey with the polar bear logo which the Swedish team had for some seasons for commercial reasons. In those days, advertising on national team jerseys weren't allowed but Sweden cheated on that one by making the logo of a company which build trailers the official logo of the Swedish Icehockey Federation as well, thus getting some sponsor money from that company. It was in the middle of the 80's Sweden could go back to the traditional three crowns again.

IHF Member
    Hello yardbird!

Mostly red and blue are like that in black and white photos!

But that is not fool-proof. Like the team photo of the Winnipeg Falcons from 1920 shows.

It looks like a one-colour jersey with just "Canada" with white letters on it!

But, in fact; Team Canada of 1920 was wearing a yellow jersey with a blue stripe in the middle and a red maple-leaf with "Canada" in white letters on it! There was also a blue stripe in the middle of both arms!

And in addition to all this, the shoulders were decorated with blue patches with the text "Winnipeg Falcons" on them in yellow!

So, the Canadians had a very unique jersey back then, didn't they?!

All the best
    Jukka
    Attached Images Attached Images

^^
    Colors in black-and-white photos can be difficult to guess.

For some reasons yellow looked darker than blue in some very old pictures. I've seen photos and old movies where the yellow cross in the Swedish flag looks darker than the blue background, just as if it was the Finnish flag!

The picture of the Winnipeg Falcons team may have suffered from a similar effect. It's really sad that we can't see how it really looked like but maybe there are some some later made replica jerseys available.

As for the 1967 Czech jerseys, I'm pretty sure that they did use both a blue and a red jersey.

On this picture

from the Sweden-Czechoslovakia game, the red Czechoslovak jerseys look somewhat lighter that those in the Czechoslovakia-Canada picture here:

Since Czechoslovakia mostly played in blue those years, I'm sure that they did use a blue jersey for most of that tournament.

Another peculiar thing I noticed is that in this picture from the USSR-Czechoslovakia game is that Václav Nedomanský seems to be wearing number 19.

In the picture from the Swedish game, he's wearing his usual number 14 and since there was no number 19 in the Czechoslovak team in that tournament, I wonder if this picture is taken on some other occasion or if Nedomanský was wearing number 19 for some special reason. Maybe some of our Czech and Slovak colleagues knows anything about it.

Anyway, Czechoslovakia did play in white jerseys against the USSR in the Vienna 1967 tournament, I have other pictures from that game.

IHF Member
    Hello yardbird!

Yes, I've seen the same old photos. I was even wondering for a while, why the Swedes were using a yellow flag with a blue cross!

However, I've seen some colour photos even from the 1920s. The oldest one I've seen so far, is a photo of the 1924 US goalie Alphonse Lacroix. Someone was faster than me on the E-bay, so unfortunately I've only seen it!

In a sense it would be interesting to know, if there are even older colour photos of the IIHF/LIHG tournaments.

Since I know, that a Frenchman Albert Kahn had colour-photographs taken long before the First World War, it's quite possible. Maybe Karsten or Bobby Orr know better than we do!

All the best
    Jukka

(PS yardbird; one can find the Winnipeg Falcons jersey in colour from the following link: http://www.winnipegfalcons.com/part_eight.html Like you can notice, my absent-mindedness stroke once again, sorry: the stripes are at the end of their sleeves, not in the middle!)
    Last edited by jukka ruskeeahde; 27-12-2009 at 21:27.

also looking for old poland team jerseys
    thanks

OK, here we go with some Polish jerseys from the 60's and 70's:

A picture from the game Sweden-Poland in WC 1966. Ulf Sterner scores on the Polish goalie Jozef Wisniewski.

A picture from a friendly game between Norway and Poland in late 1967.

Polish goalie Walery Kosyl in the WC 1970 tournament

A picture from the Sweden-Poland game in the WC 1970 tournament (the picture was difficult to scan because it was over two pages. I tried to edit it to make it presentable but wasn't that successful). Note that the dark Polish jerseys were blue in that tournament.

Poland-Sweden in the 1972 Olympic tournament

Poland-Sweden in the 1973 WC Tournament

The Polish national team in the 1973 Izvestija tournament

Poland-USSR in the 1974 WC tournament

Here is Wieslaw Jobczyk celebrating one of his goals in the historic 6-4 victory against the USSR in 1976. Poland played in red jerseys with POLSKA written on the chest.

IHF Member
    video clip of Poland - Sweden 1988 olympics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xluHj-5Mi9k

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marijo19 View Post

www.mmdresy.estranky.sk .... coming soon history all country national jerseys
    So would this picture be from the 1977 World Championships?

Quote Originally Posted by alli2002ca View Post
    So would this picture be from the 1977 World Championships?
    No, more likely from some friendship game.

The East German team had the same style for their jerseys 1974-79, the same as you can see in the previous posts with pictures from the 1974 and 1976 tournaments. I remember seeing a picture once of the East German team which won the 1977 B-tournament and they had the same jerseys as in 1974 and 1976. I also have a picture from a 1978 game between Sweden's B-team and East Germany and they had the same jerseys as in the 1974, 1976, 1977 and 1978 tournaments. I also remember a short glimpse on TV fro the deciding game between Holland and East Germany in 1979 and their jerseys were basically the same there too. I don't think thy changed that design until the early 80:s. In 1983 they had a different jersey.

IHF Prospect

Canada

Quote Originally Posted by yardbird View Post
    No, more likely from some friendship game.

The East German team had the same style for their jerseys 1974-79, the same as you can see in the previous posts with pictures from the 1974 and 1976 tournaments. I remember seeing a picture once of the East German team which won the 1977 B-tournament and they had the same jerseys as in 1974 and 1976. I also have a picture from a 1978 game between Sweden's B-team and East Germany and they had the same jerseys as in the 1974, 1976, 1977 and 1978 tournaments. I also remember a short glimpse on TV fro the deciding game between Holland and East Germany in 1979 and their jerseys were basically the same there too. I don't think thy changed that design until the early 80:s. In 1983 they had a different jersey.

Wowo~~~~!
    Thanks for your answers very much~~~~~!

Go,CANADA Devils Jerseys,Cheapest NFL Jerseys
    Go Team Devils NHL hockey,

IHF Member
    Hello you all!

You can find an excellent photo of Team Australia 1960 by scrolling down the page in the following link:

http://homepage.mac.com/carpenter.ar...ns-hockey.html

All the best
    Jukka

IHF Member

Australia Aussie Jerseys (modern era)

Glenn who replied above played for Australia for about 15 years so he can fill you in on all of the recent jerseys.

Here's a photo from Mark Bradford of the NST vs the Youth team in March 2010.
    The men are in the White and youth team in the Gold.

http://www.picbywulos.com.au/main.php?g2_itemId=48559 if you want to browse them all.

Here's a better shot of the front & logo.

does anyone have photos of the old italy jerseys?
    thanks

also looking for germany in the 30's 40's (during the nazi days). also the italy jersey from the same time.

IHF Member
    Hello goalieboy82!

The following source is pretty good with the photos from the late 1920s til the late 1950s:

Przegląd Sportowy

Learning the Polish names for months was pretty easy to learn too!

All the best
    Jukka

IHF Member
    East Germany from late 80s or 1990 at the very end of their existence:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/e...yDDRjersey.jpg

IHF Member

Great Britain

Hello you all!

Karsten, thank you for the information!

And here is a team photo of Great Britain 1937!

All the best
    Jukka
    Is this the same Great Britain side that won the lot in this period (I believe the only country to win World Championship's, Euro Championships and Olympic gold in one twelve month period!)

CJ :)

IHF Member
    Hello FromDurham!

This is the World Championship silver-medal team from London 1937!

(And naturally the European Champ at the same time!)

All the best
    Jukka

IHF Member
    Hello again, FromDurham!

Do you know any website showing the 1963 GBR jersey?!

All the best
    Jukka

IHF Member

Great Britain

Hello again, FromDurham!

Do you know any website showing the 1963 GBR jersey?!

All the best
    Jukka
    No I can't find a '63 jersey... there is a pic of the '36 olympic winning team on wikipedia though.

Poland Jersey

Poland in World Championship 1970, played in blue jerseys?
    Please photo, Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by marijo19 View Post
    Poland in World Championship 1970, played in blue jerseys?
    Please photo, Thank you.
    Yes they did. I saw them in some games and I was surprised that they had blue jerseys as the dark jerseys.

Unfortunately, the only color picture I got is that one above from one of the games between Sweden and Poland but I can provide some black and white pictures where you can see that their dark jerseys are very dark, obviously blue.

Thread Information