Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Denmarks U20 and U18 WJC teams

u20 IHWC Denmarks U20 and U18 WJC teams

Inspired by jarl70 I have created a thread about Denmarks U20 and U18 WJC teams.

As the thread starter I will use my privilege to be the first to talk about the U20 team.

Background
    After the last of three friendly games against Austria about a month ago, the coach of the Danish U20 national team, Olaf Eller, selected a preliminary roster of players for the U20 World Championship. The Danish team participates in Division I (Group A) after the disappointing missing promotion last year.
    The Championship takes place in Megève and Saint Gervais, France from the 14th to the 20th of December 2009, and the teams Denmark will be facing are; Germany, France, Japan, Slovenia and Ukraine.

The preliminary roster consists of 36 players. The first cut (to 25 players) will be made the 8th of December shortly before the team will depart for a four day training camp in France as preparation for the Championship. The final roster will be announced at the end of the training camp.

The preliminary roster

Goaltenders
    Lasse Jensen – Herning (G, 13.01.91; 185/80) *
    Martin Dresler – Gentofte (G, 16.06.90; -/-)
    Nichlas Dabbagh – Odense (G, 16.11.90; 178/70) *
    Nikolaj Nørbak – AAB (G, 07.04.90; 182/82) *

Defence
    Anders Overmark Larsen – Herning (D, 22.03.90; 185/85) *
    Christoffer Pedersen – Hvidovre (D, 04.02.90; 188/82) Injured; groin
    Jannik Christensen – Esbjerg (D, 09.06.92; 181/78) *
    Jesper Jensen – Rødovre (D, 30.07.91; 183/81) *
    Mads Jespersen – Odense (D, 20.03.90; 177/86)
    Markus Lauridsen – Linköping (SWE) (D, 28.02.91; 188/84) *
    Mathias Holmlund – Odense (D, 03.04.90; 184/81)
    Mikkel Holten-Møller – Rungsted (D, 19.04.90; 178/71)
    Phillip Bruggisser – Esbjerg (D, 07.08.91; 182/85) *
    Rasmus Damgaard – Hvidovre (D, 02.08.91; 183/84) *
    Rasmus Nielsen – Herning (D, 08.09.90; 176/85)
    Rasmus Søndergaard – Frederikshavn (D, 31.07.90; 172/75)
    Simon Grønvaldt - Barrie Colts (OHL) (D, 30.01.91; 186/82) *

Forwards
    Alexander B. Jensen - Waterloo Black Hawks (USHL) (RW, 16.07.90; 184/85) *
    Anders Feddersen – Odense (LW/RW, 03.01.91; 186/78) *
    Anders H. Poulsen – Herning (C/W, 18.01.90; 184/80) *
    Andreas Christensen – Hvidovre (LW, 17.04.90; 175/71)
    Christian Nordentoft – Frederikshavn (F, 05.09.91; 180/68) *
    Jesper Malle – Gentofte (C, 10.05.90; 184/80)
    Jonas Veiby – Hvidovre (F, 14.05.91; 174/72)
    Mads Riis Pedersen – AAB (LW, 04.06.90; 182/86)
    Mark Mieritz – Frölunda (SWE) (RW, 03.01.91; 182/86) *
    Mathias Thinnesen – Esbjerg (LW, 24.09.90; 183/90)
    Morten Smedegaard – Frederikshavn (RW, 06.09.91; 198/87) *
    Nicklas Beyer Carlsen – Hvidovre (F, 20.09.90; 171/70) Injured; broken hand*
    Nicklas Jensen – Herning (LW, 16.03.93; 188/85) *
    Nikolaj Rosenthal – Gentofte (F, 06.08.91; 174/71)
    Patrick Bjørkstrand – Herning (C, 01.07.92; 184/78) *
    Sebastian Svendsen - Vancouver Giants (WHL) (C/F, 30.07.91; 179/83) *
    Søren Christiansen – Esbjerg (RW, 15.04.91; 186/87) *
    Søren B. Pedersen – Esbjerg (C, 10.05.91; 188/85) *
    Steffen Klarskov Nielsen – Rødovre (C, 12.03.91; 175/80) *

With an asterisk (*) I have marked the players I believe will still be on the roster when the final cut is made.

Average height: 183 cm, average weight: 81 kg (for * marked players)

The distribution of players on the roster according to which year-class they belong:

1990 class: 17
    1991 class: 16
    1992 class: 2
    1993 class: 1

The 1990 class
    The above indicates that the 1990 class (with 17 players) is pretty good but the numbers hide the truth. The 1990 class must be the weakest in years. There is not a single high end prospect and no dept at all. When the roster is cut to 25 players, most of the players from the 1990 class will be gone.

The 1991 class
    This must be the strongest class ever when we talk about dept of talent. Though lacking a true high end prospect it still contains a lot of talented players who will be dominating the Danish league in the years to come. Some of them will probably also get a chance to play in the Swedish or German leagues in a few years. Even if Olaf Eller had to use only players from the 1991 class on the U20 team, it would be a tough adversary for the other teams in the World Championship.

The 1992 class
    Only two players of the 1992 class have been found good enough to be on the preliminary roster, but I would be surprised if they are being cut. Actually this is a pretty good class even though the year is an even number (for some strange reason there are much more talent in the classes of odd years than of even years in Denmark). The top prospects are just as good as the best prospects of the 1991 class, but it lacks dept.

The 1993 class
    One player is from the 1993 class, and he is also most likely to be on the final roster. I know it is very early to evaluate this class, but it sure looks good. It contains some prospects that could be almost as good as the best of the 1989 class, and it seems to have a lot of dept. Already many plays regularly in the AL Bank-ligaen, and more than half a dozen with great success.

The players
    In general almost all the players on the Danish U20 team has benefited from the lack of money in hockey, and is now playing regularly on the teams in the best Danish league. In fact not a single player from the top ten top-scorer list for the Danish U20 has been found good enough to be on the U20 national team.

The Goaltenders
    The goaltenders all play in the AL Bank-ligaen. The good part is that they train on a high level, but the bad part is that they are back-up goaltenders, and because of that only see little ice-time. Nikolaj Nørbak (AAB) should be the starting goaltender. He has done well every time he has got the chance to play, and he looks to me to be a little above the other goaltenders at this moment.

The Defenders
    All the defenders either play regularly in the AL Bank-ligaen this season or play at a high level abroad, and some also played most of last season in the best Danish league. The players to look for are the offensive gifted Jesper Jensen (Rødovre) who has had a great start in AL Bank-ligaen this year with 8 points in 16 games so far, and Simon Grønvaldt (Barrie Colts) who was the biggest prospect of the 1991 class a year ago. Unfortunately he decided to move to NA last year and that seems to has stopped his development. Also the 1992 born Jannik Christensen (Esbjerg) should be interesting to observe. He is a talented and aggressive player who only needs to gain some weight, to be really good.

The forwards
    Like the defenders all the forwards play regularly in the AL Bank-ligaen, or play at a high level abroad. Many of them play an important part on their team, and have made a seamless transformation from junior to senior level. Look out for Nicklas Jensen (Herning) the youngest member of the team, but most likely a future star. Stat wise he is, by far, the best U20 player in AL Bank-ligaen this season with 4 goals and 9 assists in 17 games so far. His two teammates at Herning; Anders H. Poulsen and Patrick Bjørkstrand are worth mentioning. The trio was involved in 9 out of 10 Danish goals scored in 3 warm-up games against Austria mentioned earlier. Also Mark Mieritz (Frölunda) (and Nicklas Beyer Carlsen (Hvidovre) if he recovers from an injury) could play an important part on this team.

Chances for success
    As mentioned earlier, most of the players on the Danish U20 team are playing regularly in the best Danish league. This is going to be an advantage for them in the U20 World Championship, because they are used to play at a high level against tough adversaries and fighting hard for every single point.
    Because of that, and because of the dept of talent present on the team, I believe that this is the strongest U20 team Denmark has ever had.
    The goaltending is decent, with sufficient talent but a little minus for lack of ice-time. The defense is strong with lot of dept and talent, and furthermore there is a lot of offensive capability. In fact the defense has almost always been the Achilles heel on all Danish national teams, so it is a pleasure to see that this year it will be different. The forward group has some flashy players and is generally talented, but lack a star-player (as it has had before) who can make the game winning goals.

In group A the team to beat for promotion must be Germany. They were relegated last year and have been a top team for many years. Many players on the team see ice-time in the DEL (with limited success however), and they also have a couple of NHL-drafted players on the roster. As a preparation for the WJC they played a tournament in Switzerland at the beginning of November, loosing to a strong Slovakian team, and beating Switzerland and Norway.

IHF Prospect
    Now I'm not sure on how his development was going prior to the last two years, but Simon Gronvaldt is playing on a tremendous team in Barrie this year. This should help his development, at least to the North American game.

Unfortunately Barrie just added two older Defencemen and Gronvaldt seems to be in a group of 5 who are being alternated among the 6 spots each night.
    The benefit is that Barrie should be more than willing to let him play for the Danish team provided he makes the final roster.

Looking over the roster, I feel that this Danish squad will be strong in net and on the blueline, but may struggle to score goals, especially in crunch time. Hopefully that is not the case as I would like to see the team get back to the top division sooner rather than later.
    Sief

IHF Member
    Nice work, Valdemar. My own laziness kept me from creating this thread

No love for Rasmus Nielsen? In my book, he was the best Danish defenseman on last years team.

On the other hand, I see why you have chosen other players. Though Philip Larsen and Oliver Lauridsen aren't available for the junior team anymore, I see this as the best group of D-men in a long time. There are no standouts but it is a group of 6-8 talented players. I'd pick:
    Jensen, Jesper
    Grønvaldt, Simon
    Lauridsen, Markus
    Nielsen, Rasmus
    Christensen, Jannick
    Bruggisser, Phillip

and then make it a hard fight between Anders Overmark and Rasmus Damgaard for the last roster spot.

Grønvaldt's right shot will be important on power play situations. Last year he was a big part of the power play. Bruggisser shoots right as well.

Before I comment on the forward side, I need to know: Simon Dalsgaard? Where is he? Two years ago he seemed so promising - has injuries slowed him down?

I pretty much agree with your choice of forwards, though I think Mads Riis have good chances on making the fourth line. Assistant coach Martin Struzinski knows him well and has earlier expressed himself positively about Riis.

I see no other but Nichlas Jensen as the star forward. Björkstrand is skilled but not at the exact same level. Mieritz has the potential to play a good tournament but he needs to step up.

I would like the top line to consist of Alexander Jensen and Nichlas Jensen on the wings, with Anders Poulsen on the centre spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Siefert View Post
    Unfortunately Barrie just added two older Defencemen and Gronvaldt seems to be in a group of 5 who are being alternated among the 6 spots each night.
    The benefit is that Barrie should be more than willing to let him play for the Danish team provided he makes the final roster.
    I'm almost 100% sure that since it's a junior team they have no choice other than to release him. Can't hold a junior player back as far as i remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I'm almost 100% sure that since it's a junior team they have no choice other than to release him. Can't hold a junior player back as far as i remember.
    Formally: No, since CHL is not governed by the Canadian hockey association and thus the IIHF. In practise: no problem.

IHF Prospect

Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by Karsten View Post
    Formally: No, since CHL is not governed by the Canadian hockey association and thus the IIHF. In practise: no problem.
    Actually the OHL, WHL and USHL (where we have players this year) all signs IIHF ITC's and are thus required to release players for U20 championships.

I can confirm that all three Danish players (Simon Grønvaldt, Sebastian Svendsen and Alexander Jensen) has been released by their clubs and will be joining the U20 team leaving Wednesday for St. Gervais.

We will release our training camp roster in a few minutes - at least one surprise (to me anyways) to come....

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kpe View Post
    Actually the OHL, WHL and USHL (where we have players this year) all signs IIHF ITC's and are thus required to release players for U20 championships.

I can confirm that all three Danish players (Simon Grønvaldt, Sebastian Svendsen and Alexander Jensen) has been released by their clubs and will be joining the U20 team leaving Wednesday for St. Gervais.

We will release our training camp roster in a few minutes - at least one surprise (to me anyways) to come....
    Training camp roster released earlier today: http://www.ishockey.dk/vm06/new/Docu...nu=&Nyhed=1702

I guess the surprise you mentioned is Jesper Malle of IC Gentofte. To be honest, I know nothing of him and I am not even sure if he was on the ice in Denmark's 0-1 to Austria in Kastrup in november.

D-men: I expect Mikkel Holten and either Damgaard/Overmark/Bruggisser to be left out of the final roster.

Forwards: 15 forwards have been selected and I suppose Eller will need 12+1. Anders Feddersen had a successful three-games-tournament against Austria and will be on the final roster. I expect Nicklas Carlsen and Steffen Nielsen will serve as hard working, skilled wingers on 3rd and 4th line respectively.
    I'd prefer Mads Riis and Søren Pedersen over Mathias Thinnesen and Jesper Malle.

Possible line-up:
    Jensen
    Nørbak
    Dabbagh

Grønvaldt - Nielsen
    Christensen - Jensen
    Damgaard/Overmark/Bruggisser - Lauridsen

Jensen, A - Poulsen - Jensen, N
    Mieritz - Björkstrand - Svendsen
    Christiansen - Pedersen - Carlsen
    Feddersen - Nordentoft - Nielsen
    Riis

A good team, but I really don't believe this team will be able to beat Germany, whom I see as the top favourite for promotion.

In two years, when the 93-borns are ready for Junior 20, I don't see how we can NOT promote to the top level. The potential of that class is simply too big.

Update:

GK
    Nikolaj Nørmark, AaB
    Lasse Jensen, Herning
    Nicklas Dabbagh, Odense

Backs:
    Rasmus Damgaard, Hvidovre
    Jannik Christensen, Esbjerg
    Mikkel Holten, Rungsted
    Simon Grønvaldt, Barrie Colts
    Rasmus Nielsen, Herning
    Markus Lauridsen, Linköping
    Anders Overmark, Herning
    Jesper Jensen, Rødovre
    Philip Brugisser Esbjerg

Cut: Christoffer Pedersen (HVI), Mads Jespersen (ODE), Mathias Holmlund (ODE), Rasmus Søndergaard (FRH) (all 90'ers).

Forwards:
    Anders Feddersen, Odensen
    Nicklas Jensen, Herning
    Patrick Björkstrand, Herning
    Søren B. Christensen, Esbjerg
    Alexander B. Jensen, Waterloo Black Hawks
    Mads Riis Pedersen, AaB
    Sebastian Svendsen, Vancouver Giants
    Mark Mieritz, Frölunda
    Jesper Malle, Gentofte
    Steffen Klarskov Nielsen, Rødovre
    Mathias Thinnesen, Esbjerg
    Søren B. Pedersen, Esbjerg
    Anders H. Poulsen, Herning
    Nicklas Beyer Carlsen, Hvidovre
    Christian Nordentoft, Frederikshavn

CUT: Andreas Christensen (HVI), Jonas Veiby (HVI), Morten Smedegaard (FRH), Nikolaj Rosenthal (GEN)
    1 90'er, 3 91'ers.

Roster will be cut to 23 players on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by jarl70 View Post
    Possible line-up:
    Jensen
    Nørbak
    Dabbagh

Grønvaldt - Nielsen
    Christensen - Jensen
    Damgaard/Overmark/Bruggisser - Lauridsen

Jensen, A - Poulsen - Jensen, N
    Mieritz - Björkstrand - Svendsen
    Christiansen - Pedersen - Carlsen
    Feddersen - Nordentoft - Nielsen
    Riis
    I like the line-up you have specified. Let’s see what the coach decides after the training camp.

In two years, when the 93-borns are ready for Junior 20, I don't see how we can NOT promote to the top level. The potential of that class is simply too big.
    No, this will not happen because at that time the Danish U20 team is already playing in the WJC! I am also of the opinion that the competition (Germany) is to strong this year, but next year they will promote for sure. The team for next years U20 could look like this:

Goaltenders
    Lasse Jensen – Herning (G, 13.01.91; 185/83)
    Jon Lee-Olsen - Malmö (SWE) (G, 24.06.92; 174/61)
    Nikolaj Fogh Madsen – Herning (G, 06.08.92; -/-)

Dennis Jensen - AaB (G, 26.01.92; -/-)

Defence
    Jesper Jensen – Rødovre (D, 30.07.91; 182/80)
    Markus Lauridsen – Linköping (SWE) (D, 28.02.91; 188/85)
    Phillip Bruggisser – Esbjerg (D, 07.08.91; 182/85)
    Rasmus Damgaard – Hvidovre (D, 02.08.91; 182/85)
    Simon Grønvaldt - Barrie Colts (OHL) (D, 30.01.91; 188/85)
    Jannik Christensen – Esbjerg (D, 09.06.92; 182/83)
    Johan Milling – Rungsted (D, 13.10.92; 185/82)

Martin Rahbek - Herning (D, 19.05.92; 174/69)
    Tobias Ruelykke - Rødovre (D, 00.00.92; 180/75)
    Patrick Madsen – Herning (D, 09.01.93; 193/85)

Forwards
    Anders Feddersen – Odense (LW/RW, 03.01.91; 186/76)
    Anders H. Poulsen – Herning (C/W, 18.01.91; 182/84)
    Christian Nordentoft – Frederikshavn (F, 05.09.91; 180/72)
    Mark Mieritz – Frölunda (SWE) (RW, 03.01.91; 181/83)
    Sebastian Svendsen - Vancouver Giants (WHL) (C/F, 30.07.91; 178/82)
    Søren Christiansen – Esbjerg (RW, 15.04.91; 191/87)
    Søren B. Pedersen – Esbjerg (C, 10.05.91; 188/90)
    Steffen Klarskov Nielsen – Rødovre (C, 12.03.91; 178/83)
    Anders Schultz - Troja-Ljungby (C, 01.06.92; -/-)
    Patrick Bjørkstrand – Herning (C, 01.07.92; 184/80)
    Jonas Sass - Rødovre (C/LW, 27.04.93; -/-)
    Nicklas Jensen – Herning (LW, 16.03.93; 188/81)
    Patrick Russell – Linköping (SWE) (RW, 04.01.93; 183/86)

Jonas Veiby – Hvidovre (F, 14.05.91; 174/72)
    Morten Smedegaard – Frederikshavn (RW, 06.09.91; 198/87)
    Nikolaj Rosenthal – Gentofte (F, 06.08.91; 174/71)
    Casper Petersen – Herning (F, 22.07.92; 176/70)
    Felix Maegaard-Scheel - Rögle (SWE) (RW, 01.09.92; 179/90)
    Lasse Bang – Esbjerg (C, 26.11.92; -/-)
    Rasmus Bjerrum – Esbjerg (RW, 20.04.92; -/-)
    Christian Elsborg - Vaughn Kings (CAN) (RW, 00.00.93; 178/80)
    Martin Højbjerg - Frederikshavn (LW, 14.07.93; -/-)
    Nicki Kisum - Malmö (SWE) (LW, 16.12.93, 185/80)
    Nikolaj Meyer - Frederikshavn (RW, 21.07.93; -/-)
    Sebastian Ehlers - Malmö (SWE) (C, 21.03.93; 183/75)
    Thomas Spelling - Herning (RW, 09.02.93; 186/75)
    Nick Sørensen- Rögle (SWE) (RW, 23.10.94; 184/75)

Even now the team looks good, but with one more year of solid development for those players, this team could be great. As you can see, even if a player ore two develops less satisfactory, there will be plenty of talent ready to grab the free spots on the roster.

A lot can happen a year from now, but if this years U20 team succeeds in promoting, next years team could maybe be strong enough to avoid relegation (something that even today seems to require a miracle).
    Last edited by Valdemar; 11-12-2009 at 10:31. Reason: Added players

IHF Member

Exhibition games

10. December
    France 4 - Denmark 2 (3-0, 1-0, 0-2)
    Last edited by Marras; 10-12-2009 at 23:55. Reason: Exhibition games

Quote Originally Posted by Marras View Post
    10. December
    France 4 - Denmark 2 (3-0, 1-0, 0-2)

we should be past results like this

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post

we should be past results like this
    At least we won the 3rd period.

Official site of the tournament:
    http://cmu20.hockeyfrance.com/en/home_78.html

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Valdemar View Post
    A lot can happen a year from now, but if this years U20 team succeeds in promoting, next years team could maybe be strong enough to avoid relegation (something that even today seems to require a miracle).
    Felix Maegaard-Scheel and Christian Elsborg could also be in the mix.

You are right, I forgot about them. I will add them to the list. There are others that belong to the list, but we will probably get around them when we start talking about the U18 team.

IHF Member
    Maegaard-Scheel is an interesting player - I'm surprised he wasn't selected for the games against Austria. [EDIT: I got to thinking that I recall he struggled with injuries around that time].
    Elsborg was taken by the Plymouth Whalers of the OHL in the bantam draft earlier this year. He is still playing high school hockey, though.

You are right, I forgot about them. I will add them to the list. There are others that belong to the list, but we will probably get around them when we start talking about the U18 team.
    Olaf Eller, if he is still head coach next year, will have a lot of work to do choosing the right players. He will have a greater group of players to choose from than any other Danish NT coach has ever had.

Eller will have to make a decision on whether he should select "experienced" 91-born players who may be less talented than some of the "inexperienced" 93-borns (Patrick Russell, Nikolaj Meyer, Thomas Spelling, Sebastian Ehlers + Nick Sørensen (-94)).

But that is next year. This year is NOW and though I don't feel we have the team to promote, I will be dissapointed if we finish below the second place.

Thankfully, we will face the Germans in the last game which I hope will be the "final" of the tournament. Maybe that fact could be our chance, if the other games turn out to our advantage.
    Last edited by jarl70; 11-12-2009 at 23:41.

Germany has a very good class this year - 1st place will be very difficult to reach for DEN. France is also on the rise and they got the home advantage so a third place is not unlikely.

IHF Member
    As usual, DIU is slow and is yet to announce the final roster on their website, even though they promised it would be announced on saturday.

The site was updated with an "Olaf Eller" news update, though:
    Nørbak will start the first game with Jensen as back-up. Dabbagh has been sent home and will only return if injuries occur.

http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/206/IHM2060DEN_32E_1_0.pdf

IHF Member

IHF Member
    Denmark submitted their final roster earlier this night.

Surprisingly, Jesper Malle found a way to make the team. D-men Bruggisser and Holten were sorted out while Mads Riis, Matthias Thinnesen and (to me) surprisingly Christian Nordentoft.

http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/206/IHM2060DEN_33_1_0.pdf

Danish line-up for the first game

On the DIU homepage the Danish line-up for the first game has been announced. It looks like this:

First line:
    Mark Mieritz - Alexander Jensen - Patrick Bjørkstrand
    Rasmus Damgård - Jesper Jensen

Second line:
    Nichlas Jensen - Anders Poulsen - Sebastian Svendsen
    Simon Grønvaldt - Rasmus Nielsen

Third line:
    Søren Christiansen - Steffen Nielsen - Nichlas Carlsen
    Anders Overmark - Marcus Lauridsen

Fourth line:
    Anders Feddersen - Søren Pedersen - Chr. Nordentoft
    Jannik Christensen - (Jesper Jensen)

13th forward: Jesper Malle

By the way, good work by DIU on the tournament coverage, already they have posted 5 articles on their homepage about the WJC, and the tournament has not even started yet. I especially like that they have posted the line-up. It is very interesting to see how the players are ranked on the team.

Surprisingly, Jesper Malle found a way to make the team. D-men Bruggisser and Holten were sorted out while Mads Riis, Matthias Thinnesen and (to me) surprisingly Christian Nordentoft.
    Yep, it looks like Jesper Malle has taken Nordentofts spot on the roster. He must have made quite an impression in the training camp. Well, I am sure Olaf Eller has picked the right players for the tournament. Eller has a profound knowledge of almost all Danish youth players.
    Last edited by Valdemar; 15-12-2009 at 09:00. Reason: Corrected error and added player in 4th line

IHF Member
    On the DIU homepage the Danish line-up for the first game has been announced. It looks like this:

First line:
    Mark Mieritz - Alexander Jensen - Patrick Bjørkstrand
    Rasmus Damgård - Jesper Jensen

Second line:
    Nichlas Jensen - Anders Poulsen - Sebastian Svendsen
    Simon Grønvaldt - Rasmus Nielsen

Third line:
    Søren Christiansen - Steffen Nielsen - Nichlas Carlsen
    Anders Overmark - Marcus Lauridsen

Fourth line:
    Anders Feddersen - Søren Christiansen - Chr. Nordentoft
    Jannik Christensen

13th forward: Jesper Malle
    All in all I like these lines, though I am a little worried that the third line with two small players could be run over. Last year, Eller had Mieritz and Svendsen in the third line and despite of hard work, they often got over-powered by the oppositions bigger players. Nielsen and Carlsen are both smaller than Mieritz + Svendsen.

I believe the fourth line centerman is Søren Pedersen and not Christiansen as he is also in the third line

Damn you are right jarl70, I didn't check the line-up sufficiently. But now I can see another error: Chr. Nordentoft is in the line-up, but he is not on the roster!! Well, maybe they let Søren Christensen make double shifts and put Søren Pedersen on the center spot?

We only got 21 of 22 players allowed on the roster. Not sure, if that spot is open or it is actually Nordentoft. To me it's strange if they send someone home only to recall someone if an injury occours...or to not make use of all 22 spots. I mean someone can prove to have a bad tournament and need replacing.

IHF Member
    Hmm, I wonder if they accidentally forgot to submit Christian Nordentoft to the IIHF? Having seen him play a couple of times this season, it sounds weird to me if he is not on the roster. He is big work force on the ice.

IHF Member
    Hmm, I wonder if they accidentally forgot to submit Christian Nordentoft to the IIHF? Having seen him play a couple of times this season, it sounds weird to me if he is not on the roster. He is big work force on the ice.
    Seems like it, since he's in the lineup for today's game.

http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/206/IHM206901_54B_1_0.pdf

EDIT:
    Nordentoft has been added to the official roster.
    http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/206/IHM2060DEN_33_3_0.pdf

IHF Member
    Nice win by the Danes.

From what you can read on DIU's website, it was a comfortable win, although Slovenia had its moments during 2nd period.

Good thing that the defense worked better this time than against France.

http://www.ishockey.dk/vm06/new/Docu...nu=&Nyhed=1707

http://www.ishockey.dk/vm06/new/Docu...nu=&Nyhed=1708

Japan seems to be on its way back to the Division II after its massive loss (0-9) to Germany. The Germans, on the other hand, proved that aren't taking it easy despite being named top contender for promotion. With 3 points, Jerome Flaake proved that he is ready!

France beat Ukraine 6-3 after Ukraine had the lead for the first part of the game.

Denmark will face the Ukrainians on wednesday in a must-win game. Ukrainian ice hockey has been on a decline for a number of years now and I am comfortable that Denmark will win this one, although it is no walk-over.

"The sun was annoying us in the first period, which was ours. We did have opportunities were the sun was not a factor though" says Olaf Eller from St. Gervais.

Huh? The sun?

IHF Member
    Apparently, the rink is very old, with wooden boards and there is only plexiglass on the sides - not behind goal (like the old rink in Samsøgade, Aalborg). I guess there are huge window batches in the building which, on a sunny mid-day in the Alps, lets a lot sun shine in.

Apparently, the rink is very old, with wooden boards and there is only plexiglass on the sides - not behind goal (like the old rink in Samsøgade, Aalborg). I guess there are huge window batches in the building which, on a sunny mid-day in the Alps, lets a lot sun shine in.
    Thanks - I thought it might be something like that.

"The sun" is not an excuse you hear hockey coaches use very often :-)

Here are some pictures from the Arena :

http://www.hockeyarenas.net/index.ph...ze=0&arID=1264

Looks like sunlight could come in from the windows above the spectators area behind the goals.

IHF Member
    Germany followed up on yesterday's dry beating of Japan and won 6-0 against Slovenia. In two games the Germans has 15 goals for and zero against.

Star player Daniel Weiss, who went pointless against Japan, had a goal and an assist which also counts for 16-year old Tobias Rieder.

Japan upset France by beating the hometeam with 4-1. I guess France wasted their chances for promotion there.

Denmark will play Ukraine tomorrow in wednesday's lone game. The game starts at 6.00 pm.

IHF Member
    Comfortable win against Ukraine whom we beat 7-3.

Alexander Jensen seems to be on fire and has 6 points in two games. Patrick Björkstrand and Nicklas Jensen both had two goals against Ukraine - both players still play with a full mask, incredible!

Nørbak has faced 53 shots in two games, only letting in 3 goals.

Tonight it's France. Søren Christiansen is still out with a shoulder injury while it is questionable whether Anders Feddersen is able to play.

IHF Member

U-18 Roster Against Norway: 11, 12 & 13 February

Goaltenders
    Kristoffer Hansen- Rødovre
    Jon Lee Olsen- Malmö(SWE)
    Nikolaj Madsen- Herning

Defencemen
    Jannick Christensen- Esbjerg
    Johan Milling- Rungsted
    Kasper Andersen- Herning
    Martin Rahbek- Herning
    Emil Kristensen- Esbjerg
    Mark Larsen- Frederikshavn
    Mathias Larsen- Frederikshavn
    Tobias Ruelykke- Rødovre

Forwards
    Mads Aagaard- Frederikshavn
    Lasse Bang- Esbjerg
    Michael Binderup- Hvidovre
    Felix Scheel- Rögle(SWE)
    Rasmus Bjerrum- Esbjerg
    Anders Schultz- Rødovre
    Nicklas Jensen- Herning
    Anders Bach- Hvidovre
    Patrick Hertzberg- Rögle(SWE)
    Emil Kruse- Rødovre
    Søren Quistgaard- Esbjerg
    Casper Pedersen- Herning

IHF Member
    Is Patrick Russell injured? I haven't seen him on any Linköping rosters over the last couple of weeks?

No Sebastian Ehlers either.

I am surprised to find out that neither Thomas Spelling nor Nikolaj Meyer has been selected for the team.

A good team, though.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jarl70;167981[B
    ]Is Patrick Russell injured[/B]? I haven't seen him on any Linköping rosters over the last couple of weeks?

No Sebastian Ehlers either.

I am surprised to find out that neither Thomas Spelling nor Nikolaj Meyer has been selected for the team.

A good team, though.
    Could be the case, since both Russell and Patrick Björkstrand are out.
    http://www.ishockey.dk/vm06/new/Docu...nu=&Nyhed=1750

It's Indeed a bit strange that, Thomas Spelling and Nikolaj Meyo er weren't selected.
    No Nicki Kisum either.
    Last edited by Marras; 04-02-2010 at 20:23.

I was really surprised when I saw this roster. I sure hope that Russell, Ehlers, Meyer, Björkstrand, Kisum, Spelling and Elsborg, in addition to the most talented of the ones - who made the U18 roster against Norway ,will be on the final roster in Herning come April. Maybe the coach just want to test other players first?

Looking at the roster it would be a joke if the names mentioned as missing aren't in the picture for the upcoming danish U18 WC team.
    With all respect to Mads Aagard, he is very very far from the level that Meyer has displayed this season. Aagard only just got his first league game this week. Same goes for the Højbjerg twins, who I also believe to have more potential, even though not as far ahead as Meyer.
    As for the players in Sweden, I sure as hell hope they aren't totally out either.
    Björkstrand played a solid U20 WC tournament for us and I really can't see any reason why he wouldn't be part of the U18 team either (edit: just noticed he's said no thanks himself).
    I am assuming that the reason for these players not being selected is that they are more or less secured a spot already. But then again I'd imagine Nicklas Jensen is also a pretty safe bet for the final roster and he's there.

I fully agree with you all about the strange looking roster. Most of the players mentioned missing would also in my book be sure starters. I wonder if they are deliberately been left out as some sort of “political game” to keep some aces hidden for the Norwegians? Denmark probably biggest competitor for promotion in April will be Norway, and it would be better for the Danish chances if they are kept unaware of some of the Danish key-players and the final Danish roster as long as possible.
    Something speaking against this theory is though, that Norway is probably the country that has the best knowledge of the state of Danish hockey, since they are the ones we mostly play against.

Indeed a strange looking roster. However this can't by any means be the real roster. The players left out are simply too many, and too good.

I wonder if they are deliberately been left out as some sort of “political game” to keep some aces hidden for the Norwegians?
    Good idea, perhaps you are right. But why let them see the biggest star, Nichlas Jensen? Well guess they couldn't left them all out :). Anyway if this team fare well against Norways strongest lineup, things are sure looking good for the games in April, because that team should be significantly stronger.

IHF Member
    The U-17 Team is playing in Germany , while the U-18 Team is in Norway. This could explain the lack of 1993 born players on the roster.

IHF Member
    9. February
    Denmark U19 - Denmark U18 3-0
    1-0 Phillip Brugisser (Nikolaj Rosenthal)
    2-0 Anders Poulsen (Markus Lauridsen, Steffen Nielsen) PP
    3-0 Jonas Veiby (Nikolaj Rosenthal)

Denmark U19

Goaltenders
    Anders Jespersen - Frederikshavn
    Dennis Jensen - AaB

Defencemen
    Rasmus Damgaard - Hvidovre
    Morten Tranberg - Amager
    Philip Brugisser - Esbjerg
    Markus Lauridsen - Linköping(SWE)
    Kristian Zink - Odense
    Daniel Galbraith - Tingsryd(SWE)
    Sune Christiansen - Esbjerg

Forwards
    Teis Nielsen - Odense
    Steffen Nielsen - Rødovre
    Anders Feddersen - Odense
    Anders Poulsen - Herning
    Nikolaj Pagh - Herning
    Jonas Veiby - Hvidovre
    Nikolaj Rosenthal - Gentofte
    Jonathan Kimose - AaB
    Victor Kilde - Amar
    Mikkel Ry - Rødovre
    Morten Dalgård - Esbjerg

10. February
    Denmark U19 – Malmö U20 4-8 (0-2, 2-3, 2-3)
    0-1 12:12 N. Arell (A. Ahlberg)
    0-2 16:35 P. Westerholm (E. Sylvegård)
    0-3 22:18 K. Runermark (P. Westerholm)
    1-3 22:26 S. Nielsen (A. Feddersen)
    2-3 26:01 V. Kilde (N. Pagh, J. Kimose)
    2-4 30:17 A. Ahlberg PP1
    2-5 38:56 L. Karlsson
    2-6 43:33 A. Ahlberg
    3-6 49:04 N. Rosenthal (J. Veiby, M. Tranberg) PP1
    3-7 51:15 C. Hjert (P. Westerholm, E. Sylvegård)
    4-7 59:01 A. Poulsen (S. Christiansen)
    4-8 59:47 Z. Ilestedt
    Denmark U19 4x2 + 1x10 (R. Damgaard), Malmö U20 4x2, SOG 32:21

IHF Member
    11. February
    Norway U20 - Denmark U20 8-2
    1-0 Fredrik Løvdahl (Kjetil Martinsen, Henrik Medby) PP
    1-1 Rasmus Bjerrum (Lasse Bang) PP
    2-1 Jonas Knutsen (Jens Ulrik Eggen Bacher)
    3-1 Christian Remo Nicolaisen (Erlend Grande, Sondre Olden)
    4-1 Carl Christian Trønseth (Henrik Medby, Kjetil Martinsen) PP2
    5-1 Magnus Hoff (Michaeil Stenersen)
    6-1 Sondre Olden (Christian Remo Nicolaisen, Jonas Knutsen)
    7-1 Sander Valde (Michael Haga, Jonas Knutsen)
    8-1 Henrik Medby (Fredrik Løvdahl)
    8-2 Nicklas Jensen (Felix Maegaard-Scheel, Anders Schultz)

11. February
    Norway U20 - Denmark U20 8-2
    1-0 Fredrik Løvdahl (Kjetil Martinsen, Henrik Medby) PP
    1-1 Rasmus Bjerrum (Lasse Bang) PP
    2-1 Jonas Knutsen (Jens Ulrik Eggen Bacher)
    3-1 Christian Remo Nicolaisen (Erlend Grande, Sondre Olden)
    4-1 Carl Christian Trønseth (Henrik Medby, Kjetil Martinsen) PP2
    5-1 Magnus Hoff (Michaeil Stenersen)
    6-1 Sondre Olden (Christian Remo Nicolaisen, Jonas Knutsen)
    7-1 Sander Valde (Michael Haga, Jonas Knutsen)
    8-1 Henrik Medby (Fredrik Løvdahl)
    8-2 Nicklas Jensen (Felix Maegaard-Scheel, Anders Schultz)

IHF Member
    12. February
    Norway U20 - Denmark U20 4-1
    0-1 Johan Milling (Mads Aagaard, Felix Scheel)
    1-1 Sondre Olden (Jonas Knutsen) PP
    2-1 Christian Remo Nicolaisen (Sondre Olden, Jens Ulrik Eggen Bacher) PP2
    3-1 Nicolas Weberg PP
    4-1 Alexander Reichenberg (Michael Haga)

13. February
    Norway U20 - Denmark U20 5-7
    1-0 Erlend Grande (Kjetil Martinsen, Magnus Hoff) PP
    1-1 Anders Schultz
    2-1 Michael Haga (Michaeil Stenersen) PP
    2-2 Felix Scheel (Tobias Ruelykke) PP
    2-3 Lasse Bang (Rasmus Bjerrum)
    2-4 Nicklas Jensen
    2-5 Tobias Ruelykke (Felix Scheel) PP
    2-6 Rasmus Bjerrum (Martin Rahbek) PP
    2-7 Kasper Andersen
    3-7 Michael Haga (Michaeil Stenersen, Jens Ulrik Eggen Bacher)
    4-7 Ole Hellum (Mikkel Søgaard, Alexander Reichenberg) PP
    5-7 Jens Ulrik Eggen Bacher (Sondre Olden, Mikkel Søgaard) PP

IHF Member

Denmark Denmark under 17 win Füssen tournament

http://forums.internationalhockey.ne...ead.php?t=9229

Nice win by the Danes and a huge surprise that we were able to beat three teams that traditionally has a higher reputation than Denmark, ice hockey wise.

I know there is a lot of talk about the strong Danish 93-generation and I am one of those who speak the most positive about the future of Danish hockey but I had never ever imagined that Denmark would be able to go down and win that tournament.

I know it was at the U/17-level which isn't as high a priority as the Junior 18 & 20, but still... Switzerland and Slovakia should be a few steps ahead of Denmark and it is highly possible that Denmark would lose 9 out of 10 times to these teams.

The Danish team was all 1993-borns, but I could easily have seen both Dallas Maxwell (-94)and Christian Chapman (-94) on the team. And knowing that Nicklas Jensen and Patrick Russell would have been available for the team makes me almost wanna pee in my pants out of pure excitement

The 92-,93- and 94-born players will make up an excellent Under 20s team in two years.
    Last edited by jarl70; 17-02-2010 at 00:24.

IHF Member
    These U17 results look great!
    I haven't followed hockey intensely until recently – therefore I question the uniqueness of the results. Did the youth teams during the Bødker/Eller era produce similar results?

Important victory for the 1993 class

Make no mistake.
    This is a very important tournament victory for the Danish U17 team. DIU claims that this is the first time, that a Danish U17 team has beaten any of the tree nations we played against, so no wonder that DIU are very exited about the victory. This also tells a lot about the high quality of the 1993 class.
    Team Denmark’s main problem is lack of depth in their year classes. When playing J18 and J20 it is normally necessary for Denmark to use 2-4 year classes, because with only about 200 players in each year class, there is simply not talent enough to make a descent roster with players from one year class only. But with the 1993 class it looks like there are both high end prospects and enough talent overall to make a strong roster with players born in 1993 only.

For information about previous tournaments, please look here:

http://forums.internationalhockey.ne...play.php?f=100

When the 1989 class participated in this tournament four years ago, they were beaten profoundly, and it was not a bad team. The roster included among others; Frederik Andersen, Oliver Holten Lauridsen, Phillip Larsen, Mikkel Bødker, Lars Eller, Morten H. Poulsen, Nicholas Bernsdorf Jensen, Nicklas Hardt, Lasse Holgaard and Sune Hjulmand.

http://forums.internationalhockey.ne...ead.php?t=2441
    Last edited by Valdemar; 17-02-2010 at 12:46.

IHF Member
    [QUOTE=jarl70;164082]Nice work, Valdemar. My own laziness kept me from creating this thread

Before I comment on the forward side, I need to know: Simon Dalsgaard? Where is he? Two years ago he seemed so promising - has injuries slowed him down?

I've heard that he had a really bad concussion last year and when finally returned to the ice he broke his shoulder in the first match. Therefore his club, Herning, wouldn't extend his contract.
    Last edited by Sofaw; 17-02-2010 at 15:52. Reason: Still learning to deal with the board

IHF Member
    When the 1989 class participated in this tournament four years ago, they were beaten profoundly, and it was not a bad team. The roster included among others; Frederik Andersen, Oliver Holten Lauridsen, Phillip Larsen, Mikkel Bødker, Lars Eller, Morten H. Poulsen, Nicholas Bernsdorf Jensen, Nicklas Hardt, Lasse Holgaard and Sune Hjulmand.

http://forums.internationalhockey.ne...ead.php?t=2441
    WOW (!), We really got our asses beaten in that tournament! A 0-12 loss against Switzerland must have been the coldest shower Danish youth hockey has taken during the last couple of years.

From what I have understood, Slovakia was without a few key players that would have been a major reinforcement of the team. But then again, Denmark were without two of their high end prospects.

The Swedish hockey-blogger Anders Östberg posted a blog today on Sweden's slim NHL draft this year. He writes about a certain episode from Norrköping where he met an American NHL scout and a Czech NHL scout. They were both dissatisfied with the current system in Czech youth hockey. Apparently, player agents are bribing youth team coaches to play the particular agent's players instead of others that might be more talented. Sounds very corrupt and I believe that I have read this story elsewhere, so time ago (on HFboards.com maybe?). The situation could be the same in Slovakia which would explain the decreasing numbers of high talent players coming from the old Czechoslovakia.

http://hockeysverige.se/blogg_show_m...tml?id=9398362

Anyways, this is a fantastic result for Danish hockey and hopefully, the Under 18s will be able to promote to the top level already this year.

Btw, when I look on the 2006 roster for the Füssen tournament, it strikes me that the main difference between the two teams is the level of talent of the low-end players.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information