Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Denmarks U20 and U18 WJC teams

I wouldn't draw any conclusions from this. When the day will come when we will have to fight not to be relegated the game will start with 0:0 and both teams will have the chance to win.
    Taro Tsujimoto, the greatest NHL player ever!

IHF Member
    (For those who missed it), the US-Denmark game is available as VOD on TSN.

http://watch.tsn.ca/world-jr-champio...sa-vs-denmark/

IHF Member
    LOL, 13k attendance for a junior game and Canada is not even one of the contestants. Just shows you how big the sport is in Canada.

Even though Denmark lost with so much, the 1st period was actually pretty good. If they can improve on that and continue to build the coming years, we might actually see the gap to the big nations shrink a bit when it comes to junior hockey.

Also, I dont think they can ask for a much better venue to get some attention. I wonder if any of them will cease the moment and get some contacts in the junior leagues across Canada.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagge View Post
    LOL, 13k attendance for a junior game and Canada is not even one of the contestants. Just shows you how big the sport is in Canada.

Even though Denmark lost with so much, the 1st period was actually pretty good. If they can improve on that and continue to build the coming years, we might actually see the gap to the big nations shrink a bit when it comes to junior hockey.

Also, I dont think they can ask for a much better venue to get some attention. I wonder if any of them will cease the moment and get some contacts in the junior leagues across Canada.
    I think Oliver Bjorkstrand said in a interview(earlier in the season), that he would like to take the CHL route.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marras View Post
    I think Oliver Bjorkstrand said in a interview(earlier in the season), that he would like to take the CHL route.
    Then he definately have to get things together and do better the last four games. Besides Niklas Jensen the team needs to grow some balls and show if they are mice or men. They get pushed around all the time and even simple passes on 6 yards they miss. If the reason simply is that the other teams are so much better than us, then so be it. However our team looks quite intimidated and scared at the moment, not sure what to do and would rather be back in Denmark doing something else than hockey.

This seems bizarre as this must be the highlight for them in their carreers so far. 10-13 k spectators to the games and a canadian crowd that is cheering for them every chance they get and chanting "Go Denmark Go" every know and then. If they cant get inspired by this, is there anything at all that can?

IHF Member
    They are either intimidated(the other teams have little trouble dominating the physical aspect of the game, but guess that’s no surprise) or simply afraid of losing another game by 5, 10 or more goals, which at this point might not seem that surprising and a somewhere familiar story for us. After the US game, there was reason to be (moderate) optimistic, but after tonight’s loss, I can’t say that I’am looking forward to tomorrow’s game against Canada, which could get very ugly and you hate to see them getting steamrolled. And the shaky goaltending isn’t helping things.

But outside the game against the Czech Republic and the second period against the US, there have also been a few bright spots. Nicklas Jensen looks like he’s ready for the IHWC and while Spelling might be 1 or 2 years away, the skills are definitely there to compete for a roster spot very soon.
    Last edited by Marras; 28-12-2011 at 23:34.

Interview with Sebastian Feuk

On the Bleacher Report there is an interview with the Danish goalie Sebastian Feuk:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...sebastian-feuk

IHF Member

But outside the game against the Czech Republic and the second period against the US, there have also been a few bright spots. Nicklas Jensen looks like he’s ready for the IHWC and while Spelling might be 1 or 2 years away, the skills are definitely there to compete for a roster spot very soon.
    IMO Patrick Björkstrand has shown more than Spelling. Nikolaj Meyer? I know that is tough competition, but where is he?

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofaw View Post
    IMO Patrick Björkstrand has shown more than Spelling. Nikolaj Meyer? I know that is tough competition, but where is he?
    He battles hard every shift, but at this level, other players can match his speed and since Meyer doesn’t have the size of someone like Jensen or Bau, I suppose he will just a have tough time contributing offensively.

IHF Member
    IIHF has an article on the Bjorkstrand Family.

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...ash=228a88ab46

IHF Member
    After having watched the TSN extended highlights from the Canada vs Denmark game, I must say that I am rather shocked about the number of mistakes the Danish players made through the game, resulting in Canadian goals. Sebastian Feuk didn't look any good on the second Canadian goal - Why didn't he go out of the net to take the puck? I guess he was still nervous playing in front of such a massive crowd.

Nicklas Jensen (named best Danish player of the game) was on the ice on 7 (!) Canadian goals while Thomas Spelling was -6 in +/-.

I know a lot of these mistakes are a result of the high pressure from a Canadian home team, and that we are levels below Canada on all spots, but to me many of the mistakes were stupid mistakes that we could have avoided by playing more simple. Both Canada's third and tenth goal were direct give-aways by our players.

I had expected us to be over-run by the Canadians, and I am not surprised that our D-line got split by some great offensive passes from the Canadian players, or that our players lost position or got pushed away in front of the net by the stronger Canadians. But I am NOT happy that we gave away so many easy goals.

On the positive side, I have noted that we only took two minor penalties during the entire game. That is actually rather impressive, considering how much we were over-matched. You don't win games in the penalty box and if we can continue to avoid penalties against Latvia, we might have a chance to win that game.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jarl70 View Post
    On the positive side, I have noted that we only took two minor penalties during the entire game. That is actually rather impressive, considering how much we were over-matched. You don't win games in the penalty box and if we can continue to avoid penalties against Latvia, we might have a chance to win that game.
    Compared to the first two games, it also looked like the players were a bit more comfortable out there and at least able to create some scoring chances five on five. There are still too many (easy)turnovers plus Canada slowed down and weren’t looking to run up the score, so it obviously helped us, but going forward there's overall something to build on.

OT:Have anyone watched this clip:
    http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/juniorhoc...ysp_frm_woah=1
    Last edited by Marras; 31-12-2011 at 09:34.

IIHF has an article on the Bjorkstrand Family.

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...ash=228a88ab46
    And one from Ottawa Sun
    http://www.ottawasun.com/2011/12/28/...ks-family-trio

IHF Member
    Yahoo sports Canada has also posted an article on the Danish Junior team.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/juniorhoc..._hockey-123011

That’s a great article Marras.

The Danish team certainly gets a lot attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Valdemar View Post
    The Danish team certainly gets a lot attention.
    They sure are. I'm blown away by the number of articles on the Ottawa Sun, i suggest you go and take a look if you're interested. I haven't really seen any articles about the other inferior teams.

One similar to the others, about the Bjorkstrand relatiton.
    http://www.ottawasun.com/2011/12/27/...fair-for-danes

IHF Member
    We can't complain about the level of news coverage from the Canadian media and not to mention that we for once are able to wach games when our junior team plays.

The articles from the Edmonton Sun on team Denmark can be found here:

http://www.edmontonsun.com/teamdenmark

Where do you guys watch the games? I have not been able to find any streams :-(

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ElQuapo View Post
    Where do you guys watch the games? I have not been able to find any streams :-(
    From TSN as VOD.
    http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/feature/?id=11970

Great - thanks :-)

I for some reason thought they only had highlights...

IHF Member
    Dont know why this thread is dead. Switzerland beat Denmark 4-3 in OT in the relegation group. Unfortunately I havent been able to find any video of the game, but apparently Denmark stepped up to the challenge today so that makes it a bit better compared to the rest of the JWC. Jensen scored twice and Jannick Christensen was very close scoring in regulation to give Denmark the win, with one minute to go. Denmark is now playing Latvia in the last game today januar 4th and can, if they win stay in the best group.

IHF Member
    You’re right it’s too lazy of us to lay this tread dead! I saw the game Denmark – Switzerland, and during the 3. Period we actually had the chances to win the game. Switzerland was the best team overall, but not that much better. The SOG was pretty even and we should remember that it’s one the best Danish JWC results ever! Nicklas Jensen was the dominating player but Spelling and the “Bjorkstrands” stood out as well. Meyer had two big chances but missed. As Marras has indicated earlier I think that the team has grown a bit during the tournament, what we certainly did see in this game. As opposed to earlier games we saw the Danes being aggressive in the Swiss zone and not that afraid in their own zone. The game convinced me that besides NJ especially Spelling but also Patrick Bjorkstrand within a few years will be senior NT assets. With the right training and development Mathias Bau could also be a future NT player as part of a checking line. Besides that Oliver Bjorkstrand showed why he’s considered a great prospect.
    Whether the team has grown enough during the tournament to beat Latvia I don’t know, but I go along with other commentators and say it will be fifty-fifty. Before the tournament I would have said 65-35, so the team has actually done better than I expected. Crucial to Latvia will be their ability to close down NJ. He was great in the game against Switzerland. Not even the Swiss WHL or NLA players were on par with him.

IHF Member
    With a little luck, we could have picked 2 or maybe all 3 points in that game, but nevertheless finally a game were we managed to play somewhere consistent hockey over 60 minutes. Plus, getting our first ever point at the WJC, is also a bit of a milestone for Danish hockey.

A whole year of preparation will be assessed because of a single game. Less than 2 hours will determine whether it has been a success or a failure. If the Danish national team wins the game, the outcome of the previous games will be of no importance. We will have succeeded; the players will be heroes and the coach a king.
    If, however, the Danish national team loses the game, the outcome of all the previous games will be of importance (we have lost the all). The coach will be fired and called a fiasco, and we will talk about the lost opportunities.
    A couple of month ago I was certain that this years team would come close to the strongest ever, but the loss of key players and a weaker than anticipated goalie situation, left me wonder about the true strength.
    If we lose today's game, it will not be a disaster for the DIU. We're not used to participate at the highest level of junior teams. Yet I will not underestimate the importance of a victory.
    A victory would prove to everyone how far we really have come in Danish hockey. It would be the first time we have managed to remain in the strongest group at the WJC. Furthermore I believe we will have a possibility, to bring an even stronger team next year. Together with Latvia we have the youngest team of the tournament, and most of our key players are 1993 born. We will not be able to avoid the relegation round in the foreseeable future; we simply have too small a youth pool, but every victory counts, and playing against the best, will help develop Danish hockey even further.

Let the best team win today, and I will pray for it to be the Danish.

IHF Member
    Denmark is leading against Latvia, 1-0. Does anyone have any livestreaming of the game?

Go to fasthockey.com. The registration is free and the connection works fine (for me at least).

Denmark is leading against Latvia, 1-0. Does anyone have any livestreaming of the game?
    Register for free at www.fasthockey.com. They have had all the games from the tournament :)

IHF Member
    works like a charm, thx a lot boys

IHF Member
    Well a tough loss and we are back in the Division 1.

IHF Member
    well, with Jensen double-shifting and him being constantly checked by two latvians pretty much wrapped up the game. We seem to run out of power and the result is fair enough in my opinion. We'll get back to the top tier next year, no doubt from my side.

Don't think it will be that easy, Norway and Belarus wont be push-overs.

IHF Member
    I am not saying it will be easy, but hopefully the kids have learned something at this tournament that they can take with them. And lets not forget that our roster was the youngest one at the WJC. There is a lot to build on and most of the players are still eligible to play in both 2012 and 2013.

Edit: Not to mention that our U18 is also in the top tier this year, hopefully some younger upcoming stars can climb up and replace the players that gets to old.

IHF Member
    It's a tough group, Austria, France, Norway,Belarus and Slovenia and depending on Vancouver, we might also will have to due without Jensen.

With only one team going up/down, I unfortunately don't see Denmark going up again. The competition is just much thougher with the new format. It is actually in some ways easier to stay up in the Elitegroup, than to get promoted to it.

And lets not forget that our roster was the youngest one at the WJC.
    According to EliteProspects our roster was even younger than yours.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oz View Post
    According to EliteProspects our roster was even younger than yours.
    You are right. I typed it wrong, it should have said one of the youngest rosters, not the youngest one. And in this context I meant that both Norway and Belarus will have 13-15 new guys at the 1. division since most of those used in this years group will not be eligible to play next season.

Good game by Latvia btw. You deserved the win. We were running on empty all through third period.

Quote Originally Posted by ElQuapo View Post
    With only one team going up/down, I unfortunately don't see Denmark going up again. The competition is just much thougher with the new format. It is actually in some ways easier to stay up in the Elitegroup, than to get promoted to it.
    I don't know, I still think it would be easier for Latvia to win Div IA next year than to face Germany and Slovakia/Swiss in the ''death game'... Yeah, you have Belarus and Norway but otherwise other teams are winnable... pretty much you get only one top opponent extra to beat (and that opponent has also other possibilities to lose points). Of course, it'll be harder to promote but now, it'll also be easier to relegate as there's no more Denmark vs Latvia but Germany's already there. I'm not sure even a year more experienced roster can beat them...

Good game by Latvia btw. You deserved the win. We were running on empty all through third period.
    Wouldn't say so, yeah Denmark got worse with game comin closer to the end but you still had chances even with less than a minute left in the third period. I'd say that goalies decided it, the first goal Gudlevskis let in was weak but later on he neutralized two 1 on 1s and stopped couple other good shots, Feuk was maybe disturbed a lit more but shots weren't as goods as Danish ones... and at the end he just, I think, lost concentration for the moment and payed the price (or maybe he didn't see the puck).

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rusher View Post
    Wouldn't say so, yeah Denmark got worse with game comin closer to the end but you still had chances even with less than a minute left in the third period. I'd say that goalies decided it, the first goal Gudlevskis let in was weak but later on he neutralized two 1 on 1s and stopped couple other good shots, Feuk was maybe disturbed a lit more but shots weren't as goods as Danish ones... and at the end he just, I think, lost concentration for the moment and payed the price (or maybe he didn't see the puck).
    You're too nice. Your team was clearly the best - much more possession and a lot of domination in the Danish zone. The Danes had though a few big chances.

You're too nice. Your team was clearly the best - much more possession and a lot of domination in the Danish zone. The Danes had though a few big chances.
    Posession is good thing but we were tactically outplayed by coach Bjorkstrand and Danes didn't allow us to play our game for the most part of it, we had some nice offensive stretches, mainly created by our 94s Girgensons- Bļugers and Lipsbergs-Jevpalovs + of course Pelšs who was great on ice. Despite the posession, you had the best chances and played great tactically, tight defense and fast counter attacks, we'd be much comfortable playing end-to-end game than what Bjorkstrand offered with players already waiting on blue line and sometimes even icing the puck just not to let us gain speed and get the puck in your zone, it was very hard to play but that's expected from a game like this that was pretty much our version of a gold medal game for both teams
    I guess after 1-5 in the pre-tournament game Bjorkstrand knew what to do and our coach Miļūns hadn't really have a clue what to expect, you did just what was needed to do, yeah we had the posession like we always do, part of our Soviet hockey school but were pressed against the boards, made to play physical hockey and for the most part couldn't create quality chances.

IHF Member

Evaluation and players

Here is my evaluation of the Danish team, what we must improve and the players. Firstly we are behind the other teams on especially physics and we need D-men with speed and skills to carry the puck out our own zone. In combination that meant that we had great troubles establishing ourselves in the offensive zone and getting out of our own. Besides that of course the technique, speed and goalkeeping could be somewhat better.

Regarding the players of course Nicklas Jensen stood out - though I hated his very individual (blindfolded!) way of playing against Latvia. There is no doubt that he’ll be a future NT WC player if Vancouver lets him play. I also see a Patrick Bjorkstrand and Thomas Spelling as future NT players, but I doubt they will be WC players within the next 3-4 years. How would you estimate them? IMO Spelling might reach top-Allsvenskan or perhaps even DEL level, but I doubt he’ll ever play in the SEL with much ice-time. And the way I see it, his technical style (not that much aggression) is not suited for NA. Bjorkstrand I think will reach his limit at top-Allsvenskan level. But I know much can happen! Please be it that I’m wrong and that they both will reach SEL level or more.
    I see a lot of potential in Oliver Bjorkstand. If he could add some physics to his game he could develop in to a really dangerous sniper. It's very early to predict, but he might reach the NHL – otherwise it would be great for the NT to have more players in the SEL, SM-liga or DEL.
    One of the tournaments great disappointments has been Nicolaj Meyer. His stats are fine in the Swedish J20 superelite series, but he did not show much in the 5 games that I saw. I used to predict him to be a future SEL-player, but now I have my doubts. Maybe Allsvenskan will be his limit…
    I kinda liked the game from Mathias Bau and Jonas Sass and they could be future NT players – tough not among the core players and probably not in the lines for the WC.
    What about the D-men? IMO Emil Kristensen was the best player, but I don’t see any of them being Danish NT-players within the next couple of years. If anyone should ever make the NT on a regular basis I guess it will be Emil Kristensen or Jannick Christensen.
    But as said before much can happen. I hope things turn out more positive than my predictions. Feel free to comment on them!

Btw. I’m with the guys that think it will be difficult for the u20 to promote next year.

IHF Member
    Here is my evaluation of the Danish team, what we must improve and the players. Firstly we are behind the other teams on especially physics and we need D-men with speed and skills to carry the puck out our own zone. In combination that meant that we had great troubles establishing ourselves in the offensive zone and getting out of our own. Besides that of course the technique, speed and goalkeeping could be somewhat better.

Regarding the players of course Nicklas Jensen stood out - though I hated his very individual (blindfolded!) way of playing against Latvia. There is no doubt that he’ll be a future NT WC player if Vancouver lets him play. I also see a Patrick Bjorkstrand and Thomas Spelling as future NT players, but I doubt they will be WC players within the next 3-4 years. How would you estimate them? IMO Spelling might reach top-Allsvenskan or perhaps even DEL level, but I doubt he’ll ever play in the SEL with much ice-time. And the way I see it, his technical style (not that much aggression) is not suited for NA. Bjorkstrand I think will reach his limit at top-Allsvenskan level. But I know much can happen! Please be it that I’m wrong and that they both will reach SEL level or more.
    I see a lot of potential in Oliver Bjorkstand. If he could add some physics to his game he could develop in to a really dangerous sniper. It's very early to predict, but he might reach the NHL – otherwise it would be great for the NT to have more players in the SEL, SM-liga or DEL.
    One of the tournaments great disappointments has been Nicolaj Meyer. His stats are fine in the Swedish J20 superelite series, but he did not show much in the 5 games that I saw. I used to predict him to be a future SEL-player, but now I have my doubts. Maybe Allsvenskan will be his limit…
    I kinda liked the game from Mathias Bau and Jonas Sass and they could be future NT players – tough not among the core players and probably not in the lines for the WC.
    What about the D-men? IMO Emil Kristensen was the best player, but I don’t see any of them being Danish NT-players within the next couple of years. If anyone should ever make the NT on a regular basis I guess it will be Emil Kristensen or Jannick Christensen.
    But as said before much can happen. I hope things turn out more positive than my predictions. Feel free to comment on them!

Btw. I’m with the guys that think it will be difficult for the u20 to promote next year.
    Ofc it will be difficult, nobody have claimed otherwise.

I havent watched much of the games, so I dont want to begin evaluate on the full team. However a couple of players stood out in the games I saw. Jannick Christensen looked pretty good and I hope he will develop further the next year. Niklas Jensen is a no brainer. It is hard to perform when all the other teams pay special attention to you. He did lit up from time to time, but he also needs to learn a lot the next few seasons. Spelling was a big disappointment. If he is our top prospect this year, we are not in good shape. The rest I do not want to comment on as I didnt pay much attention to them.

As far as I can find, next years Div.1 will, besides Denmark, consist of the following teams:

- Belarus
    - Norway
    - Slovenia
    - Austria
    - France

Denmark can beat any of these teams, but they can also lose to any of these teams as we have seen in friendly matches over the past season. There is not a great gap between top and bottom here, as there was with the old format.

Lets not forget, Denmark lost 3-4 to Austria and 5-6 to Belarus at Lida Cup a few months ago.

Games between Denmark and Norway seem to be able to go either way at all levels going from the U16's up to the Seniors.

The U20 team has not played France recently, that I am aware of. A the U18 level a season or so back, Denmark seemed to have the upper hand against France, but did lose the occasional game against them.

Quote Originally Posted by rusher View Post
    we were tactically outplayed by coach Bjorkstrand
    I agree, if Danes are mad enough to release him after the relegation, we should sign him up.

Quote Originally Posted by Oz View Post
    I agree, if Danes are mad enough to release him after the relegation, we should sign him up.
    He is coaching Herning Blue Fox, a mens team, back home in Denmark.

IHF Member

Denmark Danish primarily roster - U18 WJC

U18’s head coach Morten Hagen has named the primarily roster for the WJC-18 in April.

Goaltenders
    Mathias Hansen - Frederikshavn
    Nikolaj Henriksen - Esbjerg
    Georg Sørensen - Herning
    Mathias Andersen -Herning

Defencemen
    Bjørn Uldall - Herning
    Marco Illemann - Copenhagen
    Magnus Povlsen- Rødovre
    Rasmus Lyø - Odense
    Christoffer Lindhøj - Malmö Jrs.(SWE)
    Martin Mortensen - Herning
    Rasmus Vad - Esbjerg
    Mads Larsen - Herning
    Emil Birk - Frederikshavn
    Sonny Hertzberg - Frölunda Jrs.(SWE)

Forwards
    Kristoffer Lauridsen - Herning
    Nikolaj Zorko - Rødovre
    Christopher Frederiksen - AaB
    Mikkel Aagaard - Frederikshavn
    Oliver Bjørkstrand - Herning
    Mads Eller – Frölunda Jrs.(SWE)
    Emil B Kristensen - Herning
    Mathias Asperup - Frölunda Jrs.(SWE)
    Søren Dau - Sønderjyske
    Lasse Korsgaard - AaB
    Daniel Camermo - Borås Jrs.(SWE)
    Nikolaj Gade - Rungsted
    Marcus Nielsen - Rungsted
    Morten Mathiesen - Herning
    Christian Chapman - Frederikshavn
    Lasse Overgaard - Frederikshavn
    Yannick Vedel - Culver Academy(USHS)
    Andre Stærmose - Malmö Jrs.(SWE)

Any thoughts on our chances of staying in the top division?

How many players played in U-20 this year? I see Bjorkstrand, who else?
    Taro Tsujimoto, the greatest NHL player ever!

IHF Member
    Mads Eller also played.

IHF Member
    U18’s head coach Morten Hagen has named the primarily roster for the WJC-18 in April.

Any thoughts on our chances of staying in the top division?
    I admit that my knowledge about the danish team is very limited. However looking at the other teams I would say our changes are more slim than in the J20. I am not aware how big a factor the age thing is. How is the consistency of players of that age? Could it be totally impossible to beat Finland for excample? Or is it another last game against Latvia who stays up?

I admit that my knowledge about the danish team is very limited. However looking at the other teams I would say our changes are more slim than in the J20. I am not aware how big a factor the age thing is. How is the consistency of players of that age? Could it be totally impossible to beat Finland for excample? Or is it another last game against Latvia who stays up?
    As a Latvian fan I hope you won't have to fight for relegation in the last game vs Latvia because we hope for something more this year. Win over Germany, perhaps try to take Swiss or Czechs... As concerns forwards we have the best U18 roster of all time, imho, even if we won't have Zemgus Girgensons, unfortunately, there's a deep roster and good goalies. And the defense doesn't look too shabby either judging by the results of tournament in Esbjerg.

A lot can happen though. But at this point I don't see us getting relegated this year.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread Information