Thread: Another case: Evgeny Grachev and the WJC

IHF Member Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar

Another case: Evgeny Grachev and the WJC

Despite he is only an AHL player, forward Evgeny Grachev won't be released by the Rangers for the WJC.

http://www.russianhockeyfans.com/pro...to-wjc-36.html

It's strange, because he's not an NHL player and it's usual procedure for AHL teams release their players for the WJC.

Here is what Evgeny said himself: http://www.russianhockeyfans.com/nhl...he-wjc-45.html

What do you think? I think he should be released, he's an AHL player and the Rangers aren't acting fairly.
    My articles at The Hockey Writers

I think the Rangers should allow him to play - and I am, as you know, a diehard Rangers fan.

However, I don't think it is an issue of fairness.

Grachev signed an NHL contract with the Rangers. The Rangers, as is their right, assigned Grachev to their AHL farm team when Grachev was unable to make the Rangers' roster.

Grachev is obliged under his contract to do his best for the Rangers' AHL affiliate for as long as the Rangers see fit to keep him there, or until his contract expires.

There is nothing in an NHL contract that obligates the team to release a player for the World Championships or the World Juniors.

Grachev, like any other player under an NHL contract, is being paid - handsomely, at that - to do a job, for the time periods specified in the contract.

If the WJC's take place during the season (which they do), then Grachev is obligated by contract to play where the Rangers tell him to play.

Legally, the Rangers have no obligation to let him go.

With all of that said, Grachev is enduring a difficult first pro season in North America.

It would probably do wonders for his morale if the Rangers allowed him to go play for Russia in the WJC's.

Granted, it would do nothing for his development at this point (he has already proven he can dominate U-20 competition), but if it improved his mental and emotional state, I think it would be worth allowing him to go, and would probably result in his playing even better at the AHL level upon his return from the WJC's.

The Rangers, while being well within their rights, are being shortsighted, and should let him go play.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    I think the Rangers should allow him to play - and I am, as you know, a diehard Rangers fan.

However, I don't think it is an issue of fairness.
    Instead I think it is. European teams almost always release players for national teams competitions, most of times even when they aren't IIHF patrocinated. And also, I believe that 99% of AHL players get released for that.
    Another thing, yes, maybe "legally" the Rangers are right, I won't argue with this, but I also think that teams should reason by common sense sometimes, not only by laws, especially considering how acts almost every other NHL franchise.

AHL teams usually release players for the IHWC/WJC? They've never done that with the Danish players as far as i can remember..

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    AHL teams usually release players for the IHWC/WJC? They've never done that with the Danish players as far as i can remember..
    For the WJC they usually do at the top level and sometimes they even do it for the IHWC (Peter Olvecky was released for SVK at last IHWC even though his AHL team still was in the play-offs), though that one is not so often. Most teams consider the WJC an opportunity for their young players to shine,to log in big minutes at the big stage as it usually is a great confidence booster for them, which can be especially important for Europeans in their first North American season. Slovakia had no problems with TomᚠTatar being released by DRW even though he has become one of the top players in Grand Rapids lately.

But as Marc pointed out the NYR are not obliged to release him unlike the European pro clubs and I wouldn´t call this an NHL vs. Europea cause as we can´t know whether the Rangers wouldn´t have done the same thing if Grachev was a Canadian/American.

I still don´t agree with their desicion as I am aware how imporant it is for Russians to suit up in the NT jersey and I´m sure Grachev would have much rather played for Russia than a regular season game in the A. But t´s still NYR desicions, they´r e the ones paying his salary.
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

See you in 2019...perhaps...

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Last season Morten Madsen and Sebastian Dahm were allowed to play for Denmark at the IHWC.

Quote Originally Posted by Marras View Post
    Last season Morten Madsen and Sebastian Dahm were allowed to play for Denmark at the IHWC.
    Well okay it has happened. But Dahm was a fringe player and Morten Madsen wasn't playing and was on his way out of the Minnesota organization...

Players like Hansen or Nielsen would probably never be released. And Bødker will not be released if he is in the AHL at the time... just like Regin..

IHF Member
    I don 't think its because he's Russian, I don't believe the Rangers would have that as a motivation, but I will agree that it's a major shame when teams don't allow their players to do so. I think the experience and positives surrounding participation greatly outweigh the negatives of every once in a while a player getting injured, but as Marc pointed out...professional teams (which are businesses) are generally short sighted.

I dont know anything about this player, but has he played in the WJC befor? or the subway series? or the Canada Russia super series? if yes then its probably in the Rangers best interest to keep developing him for the NHL by keeping him in the AHL.
    "It's not about being the fastest skater in the league, it's about being the first one to the puck." -Sidney Crosby

And also Voinov hasn't been released!!!!!! http://www.russianhockeyfans.com/pro...he-wjc-55.html
    Thank you NHL!
    Last edited by Alessandro Seren Rosso; 10-12-2009 at 12:06.

It's not the NHL's refusal to release them. It is the individual clubs' refusal.

The clubs are not focusing solely on Russians, either.

There are Canadians in the NHL and AHL who would, based on age, qualify to play for Canada, and they are not necessarily being released either.

Ex. Stamkos, Bogosian, Tavares, Hedman, J. Wright, Kulikov, Duchene, O'Reilly, E. Kane.

And those are just ones I could thinks up off the top of my head. It's not just Russians.

and Erik Karlsson if he is in the NHL at the time. this is nothing new, and should come as no surprise.

I think it's rubbish, but that's just the way it is, unfortunately.

But as you pointed out, these are NHL players

Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro Seren Rosso View Post
    Well the situation is the same for AHL players. At least for the Danish players. Danes have been released by their AHL club a few times, but only if they were on their way out or marginal players.

Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro Seren Rosso View Post
    All are players under valid and binding NHL contracts.

Random thought: couldn't a player (of a significant enough stature, I guess) request a national team release clause? Like, say, what if someone like OV were to demand a clause that lets him go to play for his national team?

Sure, there's nothing under American or Canadian law that would prevent that from being a negotiated part of a written, binding contract.

The question is whether any player has enough bargaining clout to seek that out and get it.

Thread Information