Thread: IIHF Stance on hits vs North American stance on hits - Clean hits (to the head)

IIHF Stance on hits vs North American stance on hits - Clean hits (to the head)

I know this is an old debate, but because it's so old, the debate actually has come full circle FOR ONCE! on video.

IIHF stance:
    http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...ncussions.html

View at 0:58 to 1:15
    http://watch.tsn.ca/international-ho...872#clip249872

Jason Zucker - Gross Incompetence? IIHF calls?
    http://watch.tsn.ca/international-ho...953#clip249953

Comments and Discussion?

The Zucker hit was a clean but devastating hit. It's unfortunate that the Slovakian kid who took the hit got hurt (and pretty badly at that), and I hope that he gets well soon, but that's part of hockey.

If the guy throwing the check hits the puck carrier or the last opponent to have touched the puck, doesn't leave his feet, doesn't use his elbows, and doesn't take more than two strides before throwing the check, then the check is clean, and no penalty should be called.

It seems like the IIHF, throughout the years for as long as I can recall, penalizes almost every hard, heavy check, regardless of whether it is clean or not, and especially when someone gets hurt.

In this case, a later replay showed that the Zucker hit did indeed have head contact.... head-to-head.
    Clearly unintentional, and that one's a grey area for me, because the head contact came as Stajnoch was folding up from the body-to-body hit. Probably shouldn't have been a penalty at all.

The fact that they kicked out the wrong guy is pretty ridiculous.

Mind you, the later head contact that WASN'T called should have been...

IHF Member
    Gotta agree with Marc. It was a clean hit with unfortunate consequences. Maybe it's the North American in me, but that didn't seem like a big deal to me at all. I was just expecting a double minor because he drew blood, although it shouldn't have been penalized at all.

IHF Prospect
    What about the hit on Boyd Devereaux in yesterdays game.The Davos player had Devereaux in a vulnerable position,left his feet and lef with his elbow/shoulder.Devereaux suffered a serious injury that will cost him this tournament this season and maybe his career.What will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel19 View Post
    What about the hit on Boyd Devereaux in yesterdays game.The Davos player had Devereaux in a vulnerable position,left his feet and lef with his elbow/shoulder.Devereaux suffered a serious injury that will cost him this tournament this season and maybe his career.What will be done.
    Considering that the Spengler Cup is not an IIHF tournament, nothing.

IHF Prospect

Montreal

Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    Considering that the Spengler Cup is not an IIHF tournament, nothing.
    I thought all International tournaments where IIHF sanctioned.Thanks for setting me straight.so who does govern this body.I should have known it wasn't an IIHF tourney seeing the number of canadians playing for the german team today.

I thought all International tournaments where IIHF sanctioned.Thanks for setting me straight.so who does govern this body.I should have known it wasn't an IIHF tourney seeing the number of canadians playing for the german team today.
    It's an invitational club tournament hosted by HC Davos.
    The national federation accepts it, but it's not an official IIHF competition.

There should certainly be a suspension, but i guess we'll see.

By the way, the post icons have a purpose, to help with searches. Please don't use them randomly in your posts.

Nothing to do with the number of Can players playing for Mannheim. They are all under IIHF's jurisdiction but this doesn't make the Spengler Cup a IIHF sanctioned tournament. The Continental Cup, ECL/ECC and the Victoria Cup are the only IIHF sanctioned club tournaments. The rest are private tournaments not sanctioned by any national or supranational bodies. They are merely exhib. tournaments.

Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    In this case, a later replay showed that the Zucker hit did indeed have head contact.... head-to-head.
    Clearly unintentional, and that one's a grey area for me, because the head contact came as Stajnoch was folding up from the body-to-body hit. Probably shouldn't have been a penalty at all.

The fact that they kicked out the wrong guy is pretty ridiculous.

Mind you, the later head contact that WASN'T called should have been...
    check the video at 28 seconds. there was no head to head contact. and you wonder how the refs cant get it right, even in a replay the speed is deceiving. Again the game is to fast for some of these refs and this is yet another example of it. Its always going to be a win some lose some in this tournament.
    "It's not about being the fastest skater in the league, it's about being the first one to the puck." -Sidney Crosby

Thread Information