Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Federal Hockey League, Yep it's Back!

Federal Hockey League, Yep it's Back!

"FEDERAL HOCKEY LEAGUE

The Federal Hockey League drops the puck in four Northeast markets in the 2010-11 season. Teams will be located in the Rome, NY, Thousand Islands, NY, Ottawa, Canada, and Danbury, CT.

This league will play a 60 game schedule at the single A-level emphasizing strong local ownership, high-quality competition and affordable family entertainment. The league is focused on player development and opportunities, as individuals seek to advance their pro careers." (courtesy of TheHockeyCraze.com)

Team names already announced are:

Rome Frenzy
    Thousand Islands Privateers

The league is also planning on adding 2 more teams before the league starts next season. Rumours are teams from NEPHL or AAHL.

Ottawa? No kidding?
    Nice... I'll be sure to check that out. I'll bet that team will get its share of CJHL players in the ranks.

I'll bet the Thousand Island squad will be in Watertown, possibly Ogdensburg at the far end of the TI region. edit: looks like it might be Alexandria Bay. Odd choice, IMO.

If they're looking to expand further, Kingston (pop.106,000) or Cornwall (pop.55,000) (Ontario) might be good opportunities, as would Oswego or Schenectady, NY, Pittsfield, MA or something in Vermont (Plattsburg or Barre?).
    I think the biggest issue is not to stretch the logistical strings of the league too much in the first seasons, but to give the teams a chance to build a fanbase and income before stretching the cost of road trips. The towns I've mentioned as far as i know don't have professional hockey yet, and the Canadian ones have strong local junior representation (Jr.A and major-junior) from which to draw players. Most importantly, they're all relatively short trips from the accepted locales as they're more-or-less between them.
    Sherbrooke, QC might be another venue to consider (though they are represented in the semi-pro LNAH).

Danbury seems a long way from the rest of the league.

edit: League website is www.thefederalhockeyleague.com

Teams thus far announced are:

Danbury Whalers
    Rome Frenzy
    Thousand Island Privateers

a team from Ottawa is confirmed but has not revealed a name yet.
    talks with potential ownership groups in Philadelphia, PA. and Jamestown, NY.
    Last edited by Steigs; 16-01-2010 at 05:06.

what is with these single A leagues?? its proven to not work.
    "It's not about being the fastest skater in the league, it's about being the first one to the puck." -Sidney Crosby

IHF Member Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
    Guys, what is a "single A league" and why they don't work?
    My articles at The Hockey Writers

AHL= AAA
    ECHL/CHL/IHL=AA
    SPHL/AAHL/NEHL/EPHL/FHL=A

The SPHL is by far the best single A league. All the rest are basically glorified senior hockey. I have played in the NEHL AAHL and the SPHL. The SPHL is very professional, with much larger budgets/arenas/fans. It seams every year a new league pops up, runs for a month or so, then runs out of money and ends up folding teams or the entire league. The talent pool is very small and and one team lands a few good players and you start to see outrageous scores like 15-2. Fans dont want to pay to see that. The AAHL has lost 3 teams in only there first 2 seasons because of this. These leagues have constant front office turnovers and management changes. I play senior AAA in Alberta and its not uncommon to see 3 to 4 hundred people in the stands. Most senior teams would walk all over any AAHL or EPHL team. And we dont get paid?? and thats why these leagues dont work
    "It's not about being the fastest skater in the league, it's about being the first one to the puck." -Sidney Crosby

It all depends on where the leagues are. You see these leagues down below the snowbelt, and wonder why they don't work out, it shouldn't be a surprise.
    As far as I know this is the first league to pop up in the real heart of hockey country (as far as the US goes), and with a team in Canada. With good promotion of the teams, and placing them in the right locations, there is potential for great success.
    Ottawa might work out pretty well actually, I can imagine the team playing out of the Steve Yzerman Arena (3500 seats) to 2000 or so fans regularly, if the team promotes itself properly. The best thing for them would be to have some recognizable names on board (for example, some former Ottawa 67s players).
    Alexandria Bay I'm not sure of, but Watertown without a doubt could, with proper promotion, pull in 1500 fans to a game. This would be the only team they have in winter, it would be the only game in town. A-Bay could get fans from Clayton, Morrisburg and the surroundings, and probably do well too. I look at the town of Westport, population 300, who pack their 400-person arena each game for a Junior B team, and I see that in this region the potential for success is there.

Rome is not that different, I think, as they can pull fans from nearby Utica as well.

Danbury just seems too far at the beginning. Philly is ridiculous.

Kingston could do well, Cornwall as well, Brockville ditto. An "A" level league does have potential for success, you just have to find the right recipe for it.

Any semi-pro "Single A" league whose teams would get beaten by Major Junior, strong Junior A, and university (whether NCAA or CIS) teams, as well as amateur men's Senior AAA (or maybe even Senior AA) teams, will not stand a chance in markets where those other teams exist.

They either have to get teams that will be stronger than those teams, even if only a little, or place them in markets that are not served by teams of those levels already. That's their only shot.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    It all depends on where the leagues are. You see these leagues down below the snowbelt, and wonder why they don't work out, it shouldn't be a surprise.
    huh? read buffmatt's post. The SPHL (southern professional hockey league) is the only decent "A" league and its below the snowbelt.. pretty sure all the others have been in the northeast.

I'm friends with a former SPHL coach and multiple former players. the SPHL is more on par with the ECHL or CHL than it is the other "A" leagues

Let's not get crazy, Helix.....

The SPHL is well above "pro" leagues like the AAHL/NEHL/EPHL/FHL, but it is not even close to the Central or International leagues, much less the ECHL. The first, and maybe second, lines of SPHL teams can compete with Central and International league players. Third and fourth lines in the SPHL can't come close.

Thought I would add something to this argument by stating the weekly salary caps:

The ECHL is: $11,800
    The Central Hockey League's (CHL) is: $10, 450
    The Southern Professional Hockey League (SPHL) is : $5,600 - 6,000

edit: League website is www.thefederalhockeyleague.com

Teams thus far announced are:

Danbury Whalers
    Rome Frenzy
    Thousand Island Privateers
    The Privateers should reconsider changing their name to the Dressings.

Seriously, that would be precious :)
    You can be sincere and still be stupid - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

lmao

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post

The SPHL is well above "pro" leagues like the AAHL/NEHL/EPHL/FHL, but it is not even close to the Central or International leagues, much less the ECHL. The first, and maybe second, lines of SPHL teams can compete with Central and International league players. Third and fourth lines in the SPHL can't come close.
    Well I haven't seen an SPHL game in a couple years, but when I was around the league the rosters were full of former ECHL players, so I don't really see how they could be so much lower than the league they used to play in... Sure age has something to do with it, but its not like it has THAT much of an affect on their play.

but anyway i was just defending the geographic location of the league. such a shame that anything hockey related below the snowbelt has such a negative connotation still to many up north. are we sure it's 2010 already?

IHF Member

Well above in the sence of organization. But not in skill. Last year there were a number of players from the EPHL got call ups to higher leagues and some of them stuck and a good protion of the them earned spots in the SPHL this year. And with the NEHL, there were a number of players that got call ups to the SPHL and higher leagues. In fact Eric Lind from Danbury ended up getting an invite to the Wolf Pack camp. So I would agree with the SPHL is the clear model for a Single A league as far as organization, but these other leagues have had some decent talent.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buffmatt78 View Post
    AHL= AAA
    ECHL/CHL/IHL=AA
    SPHL/AAHL/NEHL/EPHL/FHL=A

The SPHL is by far the best single A league. All the rest are basically glorified senior hockey. I have played in the NEHL AAHL and the SPHL. The SPHL is very professional, with much larger budgets/arenas/fans. It seams every year a new league pops up, runs for a month or so, then runs out of money and ends up folding teams or the entire league. The talent pool is very small and and one team lands a few good players and you start to see outrageous scores like 15-2. Fans dont want to pay to see that. The AAHL has lost 3 teams in only there first 2 seasons because of this. These leagues have constant front office turnovers and management changes. I play senior AAA in Alberta and its not uncommon to see 3 to 4 hundred people in the stands. Most senior teams would walk all over any AAHL or EPHL team. And we dont get paid?? and thats why these leagues dont work
    I would agree with most of what you said. But as far as Most senior teams walking over EPHL and NEHL teams,I am not too sure about that. After having played senior in Quebec and played in the NEHL. I would say it would be close... I think as far as getting paid, I think that is an owner or league decision to help the league. If you look back to a few years ago there were a number of senior A,AA and AAA leagues that paid players. But then the guys got greedy and the owners had enough so they shut the leagues down. So sometimes not getting paid at that level is a good thing.. Not to get off the topic but if you look at the sudden rise of some of the lower leagues in europe, they seem to be following the same trend as some if these pop up NA leagues. Paying guys some decent money in the begining and promising them the world. then all of a sudden you here about some teams not coming through with certain promises. It seems that the lower leagues in the States aren't the only ones having issues.

These pop up leagues in the US aren't paying guys decent money. The guys are basically getting enough for food and thats it. Some in the AAHL aren't getting paid at all. Its the equipment, housing, and travel that kills the pockets.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buffmatt78 View Post
    These pop up leagues in the US aren't paying guys decent money. The guys are basically getting enough for food and thats it. Some in the AAHL aren't getting paid at all. Its the equipment, housing, and travel that kills the pockets.
    Yes that is true. But what is your point?
    Last edited by mlharris; 22-01-2010 at 17:54.

There is indeed a big difference between the SPHL and the ECHL. There are former ECHL'ers in the SPHL, true - i.e., fringe ECHL players who could not stick in that league and also could not catch on in the Central or United/International leagues.

Likewise, guys from these "pop up", "come and go" semi-pro leagues, which are, in essence, glorified upper level men's senior leagues, do sometimes stick in the SPHL or even beyond. The reality is that most of them don't advance any further and teams from those leagues would, for the most part, get soundly beaten by SPHL teams.

Honestly, teams like the Brooklyn Aces (now the New York Aviators) are no better than the teams playing in the top house league at Chelsea Piers. The Chelsea Piers top league's teams are filled with ex-junior, college and semi-pro guys.

Quote Originally Posted by mlharris View Post
    Well above in the sence of organization. But not in skill. Last year there were a number of players from the EPHL got call ups to higher leagues and some of them stuck and a good protion of the them earned spots in the SPHL this year.
    Brannigan was an ECHLer playing in the EPHL. He could have made an ECHL team out of camp but playing top line in the EPHL let people realize his offensive skills. Overall team-wise, the SPHL would beat Bears, Mad Hatters, and early season Rockhoppers. Jersey's end of season roster and Brooklyn Would have been competitive but in the middle or in the low end, IMO.

And with the NEHL, there were a number of players that got call ups to the SPHL and higher leagues. In fact Eric Lind from Danbury ended up getting an invite to the Wolf Pack camp. So I would agree with the SPHL is the clear model for a Single A league as far as organization, but these other leagues have had some decent talent.
    No one is arguing that these other leagues have talent (a lot of good EPHL players were in the near dead NEPHL), but to say they are close to the SPHL because they have a few good players is a ridiculous. While numbers aren't everything, they can paint a vague but semi-accurate picture and some players that played in both the EPHL and SPHL last season produced significantly less in the SPHL.
    Last edited by Geoff; 09-08-2010 at 19:44.

IHF Member
    [QUOTE=Geoff;167251]Brannigan was an ECHLer playing in the EPHL. He could have made an ECHL team out of camp but playing top line in the EPHL let people realize his offensive skills. Overall team-wise, the SPHL would beat Bears, Mad Hatters, and early season Rockhoppers. Jersey's end of season roster and Brooklyn Would have been competitive but in the middle or in the low end, IMO.

No one is arguing that these other leagues have talent (a lot of good EPHL players were in the near dead NEPHL), but to say they are close to the SPHL because they have a few good players is a ridiculous. While numbers aren't everything, they can pain a vague but semi-accurate picture and some players that played in both the EPHL and SPHL last season produced significantly less in the SPHL.[/QUO

Someone said the SPHl would run over the other A leagues. I never said the leagues were close, I was stating the fact that there was talent in the different A leagues.
    Last edited by mlharris; 22-01-2010 at 17:51.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Brannigan was an ECHLer playing in the EPHL. He could have made an ECHL team out of camp but playing top line in the EPHL let people realize his offensive skills. Overall team-wise, the SPHL would beat Bears, Mad Hatters, and early season Rockhoppers. Jersey's end of season roster and Brooklyn Would have been competitive but in the middle or in the low end, IMO.

No one is arguing that these other leagues have talent (a lot of good EPHL players were in the near dead NEPHL), but to say they are close to the SPHL because they have a few good players is a ridiculous. While numbers aren't everything, they can pain a vague but semi-accurate picture and some players that played in both the EPHL and SPHL last season produced significantly less in the SPHL.
    Someone said the SPHl would run over the other A leagues. I never said the leagues were close, I was stating the fact that there was talent in the different A leagues.

IHF Member
    There is indeed a big difference between the SPHL and the ECHL. There are former ECHL'ers in the SPHL, true - i.e., fringe ECHL players who could not stick in that league and also could not catch on in the Central or United/International leagues.

Likewise, guys from these "pop up", "come and go" semi-pro leagues, which are, in essence, glorified upper level men's senior leagues, do sometimes stick in the SPHL or even beyond. The reality is that most of them don't advance any further and teams from those leagues would, for the most part, get soundly beaten by SPHL teams.

Honestly, teams like the Brooklyn Aces (now the New York Aviators) are no better than the teams playing in the top house league at Chelsea Piers. The Chelsea Piers top league's teams are filled with ex-junior, college and semi-pro guys.
    Not true, there are a number of SPHLer' that did not have ECHL expierience that moved up. I never understod what a glorified men's league stood for.... But anyway. The Brooklyn aces would mop the floor with the teams in Chelsie Piers teams. First of all they Aces play with checking and the Chelsea Piers teams do not. The Aces have a full team while some of the Chelsea Piers teams sometimes show up wit only 9 players. I should know since I played in the league. As far as talent, yes Chelseas PIers is filled with ex college,junior and PRO players but they do not skate everyday like Brooklyn and they do not play with checking. The only team that could compete with teh Aviators are the NY St.Knicks. St.Knicks have held there own against NCAA Division 1 teams.

The Chelseas Piers teams (in the rink's top league) all have players who, skill wise, and equivalent to the Aviators/Aces/whatever they call them this month. All have obviously played full checking hockey throughout their lives if they have played NCAA, Junior and/or semi-pro, and are able to handle, and dish out, a physical game. As for having only 9 guys or so per team, that would be a factor......combine two of the teams to form a full squad and you have a game.

I never said the "pop-up" Single A leagues that come and go don't have talented players - they do. But I did say that they are not SPHL level, and I stand by that. Both budgets and the comparative stats Geoff referenced evidence that I am correct.

I also never said SPHL guys don't move up. Some do. Most don't.

As for the Aviators/Aces, I'd give them a chance against low-end NCAA D.I teams like Connecticut, Bentley and the like. However, good ones like Denver, North Dakota and the like would beat the life out of them, and I'd still put my money on a good, solid mid level NCAA D.I team to beat them. A lot of the "pop-up" Single A "pro" teams have guys that topped out in NCAA D.III, Junior A, etc. - way below NCAA D.I level.

IHF Prospect

Chelseas Piers Hockey - EPHL

I am sure there are some good players at the piers but you can't compare these guys to the teams of the EPHL. Granted the NEPHL is a lower quality league but there are some good players there as well, Thompson with the aviators started the season playing for the Flint Generals. Guys who play in these Chelseas house leagues love to compare themselves to pro players cause it makes them feel good but where are they at try outs, oh yea they have a real job? The worst team in the EPHL, the Bears sent over 6 players up to ECHL, CHL and AHL, sounds like more than senior players to me. Type in some of their names in hockey db and you will have the facts, many of these guys played d1-d3 and have played in SPHL, ECHL, CHL, AHL. While many of the EPHL teams did not want to send their players up because good replacements are hard to find, plenty did head up to play in the ECHL and CHL.
    The SPHL, its a goon league, I spoke with plenty a player who could not wait to get out of that league, they don't send players up because they can't afford to lose what they got. The EPHL was paying out 5k a week per team in player salaries except HVB, plus the teams provided their housing, food, pants, gloves, socks, sweat suits, warmups and sticks. Were there some weak players in the league, sure, they played a few fill in games to cover injuried players or call ups but the first two lines of any of these teams would crush any Chelseas or mens league team hands down.

Sure you can compare them.

A lot of guys in the top league at Chelsea have played everything from Junior A, NCAA D.III, NCAA D.I, and pro, up through and including the ECHL. A lot of them actually have NCAA D.I experience or better.

They did not want to continue on in the lower minor leagues, and so they are career men now.

A lot of the guys in the EPHL/NEPHL never made it to NCAA D. I level, much less higher pro leagues.

Are there guys who filter down from higher leagues? Sure. But there are just as many that topped out in NCAA D.III.

Well, while there was some question at one point that the FHL wouldn't even get a start, it does seem to be advancing.
    The league now has six announced teams, and the teams are beginning to announce player signings.

The six teams now are:
    1000 Islands Privateers (Alexandria Bay, NY)
    Danbury Whalers (Danbury, CT)
    Rome Frenzy (Rome, NY)
    Akwesasne Warriors (Akwesasne/Cornwall, ON)
    Broome County Barons (Binghamton, NY)
    New York Aviators (Brooklyn, NY)

The Aviators have even announced the re-signing of former Colorado Avalanche draft pick K.C. Timmons, who played for the squad in the NEPHL last season.

Thus far, the Privateers, Whalers and Barons have operational team websites.
    The Aviators have a link to their homerink's website, but nothing regarding the team itself. The Frenzy and Warriors have nothing at this time.

The Ottawa team that had been accepted into the league does not appear to be a factor any longer, though it is possible that it moved its location to Akwesasne (which is just across the bridge from Cornwall, on the Akwesasne Mohawk reservation)

I've been going through the teams' roster lists and have found a few interesting names.

A few guys with NT experience, a few guys with elite-level pro experience. The low-end guys are junior-B or NCAA DIII guys.

Rome Frenzy have TIbor Varga, who played 27 games with Slovan Bratislava last year (0+2).
    Igor Karlov, who once represented Ukraine at the U18 level, is playing with the Danbury Whalers this year.
    Meanwhile Maxim Linnik, former St. Louis draft pick and Ukraine U20 representative back in 1997, is with the New York Aviators.
    Former Estonian national team defenseman Ilja Urushev is with Rome this year.
    Carter Trevisani, Carolina draft pick (2001 #244) and who represented Italy at the 2006 Olympic Games, has moved from Asiago in Serie A to the Akwesasne Warriors.

A couple other guys around the league have NCAA DivI, Canadian major-junior or CIS experience, but most are from lower developmental levels. Few have ever been drafted by an NHL team.

It won't be pretty hockey, but it might be kinda interesting nonetheless. I'll be catching a game or two in October, either in Alexandria Bay (1000 Islands Privateers) or Binghamton (Broome Barons), and I'll report back on what I see.

Given your research, what do you think ofmy comments in post #'s 22 and 24?

I think you might have a fair point Marc.

If you're looking at a rec league made up of guys who are former NCAA DI, Jr.A, and/or minor-pro guys, then they might be able to give a run to teams from this league.

Mind you, the difference between the first and fourth lines here looks to be enormous. Top guys on the various teams are guys that I'm frankly surprised to see playing at such a low level. We're talking about guys who did well enough at ECHL-equivalent leagues that IMO they should not be playing single-A hockey unless it's for the first-line minutes (which might well be 30 minutes per game in some cases).
    The bottom-line guys (the Jr.B and NCAA DIII guys) look more like local filler than anything else, and will probably play very little.

I'd suggest that if you take the top line off of an NCAA DI team, you'll have a good game on your hands. Top-line NCAA DI guys are generally ECHL-to-NHL caliber players, far above what we have here.

Again though, this is just me guessing based on past stats.
    I'm going to try and get to a bunch of games from different leagues this year (from local Jr.B, to Federal League, AHL, NCAA and all in between) so I'll try to give a better impression once I have something to compare it all to.

KHL Akwesasne Warriors Big Signing

The FHL is set to start its first season and the lonely Canadian club annouced a big signing this week.

Akwesasne Warriors have signed Pierre Dagenais from the Traktor Chelyabinsk of the KHL. Dagenais, drafted by the New Jersey Devils in '96 and '98, played 142 NHL games with New Jersey, Florida, and Montreal.
    Here is his profile http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=10254

The league has a $6,000.00 USD weekly salary cap, including a cap at $750 USD the most a player can earn in a week. Each team can carry up to 23 players.

Looking forward to seeing how this league will do this year.
    Last edited by BillyCanuck; 28-10-2010 at 16:40. Reason: grammar

Pierre Dagenais.... holy crap.
    Anything short of a point-and-a-half-per-game pace for him at this level will be a disappointment.

First FHL Game

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Akwesasne Warriors - 2
    Broome County Barons - 6
    Attd. - 625

SCORING SUMMARY
    Period 1
    Broome - David Herring (shorthanded) (James Gehring, Timothy Recio) 2:02
    Broome - Skylar Christoffersen (Mitchell Moffatt) 3:15
    Akwesasne - Pierre Dagenais (Miguel Delisle, Daniel Sauve) 13:47

Period 2
    Broome - Mitchell Moffatt (Casey Mignone, Tanner Hlookoff) 11:49
    Broome - Quinn McIntosh (Eric Curtis, Tanner Hlookoff) 14:30
    Broome - Quinn McIntosh (Kyle Frieday, Eric Curtis) 16:12

Period 3
    Akwesasne - Miguel Delisle (powerplay) (Martin Beaulne, Alain Quenneville) 4:44
    Broome - David Herring (unassisted) 6:30

I've been going through the teams' roster lists and have found a few interesting names.

A few guys with NT experience, a few guys with elite-level pro experience. The low-end guys are junior-B or NCAA DIII guys.

Rome Frenzy have TIbor Varga, who played 27 games with Slovan Bratislava last year (0+2).
    Igor Karlov, who once represented Ukraine at the U18 level, is playing with the Danbury Whalers this year.
    Meanwhile Maxim Linnik, former St. Louis draft pick and Ukraine U20 representative back in 1997, is with the New York Aviators.
    Former Estonian national team defenseman Ilja Urushev is with Rome this year.
    Carter Trevisani, Carolina draft pick (2001 #244) and who represented Italy at the 2006 Olympic Games, has moved from Asiago in Serie A to the Akwesasne Warriors.

A couple other guys around the league have NCAA DivI, Canadian major-junior or CIS experience, but most are from lower developmental levels. Few have ever been drafted by an NHL team.

It won't be pretty hockey, but it might be kinda interesting nonetheless. I'll be catching a game or two in October, either in Alexandria Bay (1000 Islands Privateers) or Binghamton (Broome Barons), and I'll report back on what I see.
    That would mean something if he ever did something more than bench warming for Slovan (Their 4th libe rarely did something different than that). actually from the number of games he played, you can see that after a while he wasn´t even considered good enought for that part anymore. Also, he never even put respectable numbers at the lower level in both the Slovak and Czech 1.liga. Considering this and the lack of any NA experience, the fact that he was able to score 6 points in his debut (that´s what is reported in SVK at least) doesn´t speak much for the level of this league.
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

See you in 2019...perhaps...

Like I said, a mid level NCAA D.I team would likely beat this league's clubs, and the good ones would destroy them. Top end CIS teams like New Brunswick and Alberta would also beat the tar out of them.

Friday October 29, 2010 Scores

Friday October 29, 2010

New York Aviators - 3
    @
    Danbury Whalers - 4
    Attendance - 2,412

SCORING SUMMARY
    Period 1
    Danbury - Daniel P. Malloy (Igor Karlov, J.C. Velasquez) 7:22
    Danbury - Devin Guy (powerplay) (Eric Seifert, Alex Hager) 13:29
    New York - Andrew Scampoli (Anthony Longo, Angelo Serse) 16:18
    Period 2
    New York - Peter Dundovich (Jarrett Rush) 1:52
    Danbury - Igor Karlov (J.C. Velasquez, John Halverson) 3:06
    Danbury - Andrew J. Willock (Vin Hellemeyer, Daniel P. Malloy) 5:17
    Period 3
    New York - Matthew Puntureri (powerplay) (David Inman, Christopher Holmes) 3:15

PENALTIES
    Period 1
    Danbury - Nick Niedert - (Delay of Game), 2 min, 0:06
    New York - KC Timmons - (Interference), 2 min, 4:24
    Danbury - Corey Fulton - (Fighting Major), 5 min, 10:29
    New York - Stephen Obelnicki - (Fighting Major), 5 min, 10:29
    New York - Christopher Holmes - (Tripping), 2 min, 12:34
    Danbury - JR Bria - (Interference), 2 min, 16:47
    New York - Matthew Puntureri - (Tripping), 2 min, 17:37
    Period 2
    Danbury - Devin Guy - (Fighting Major), 5 min, 5:29
    New York - Chris Bain - (Fighting Major), 5 min, 5:29
    Danbury - JR Bria - (Tripping), 2 min, 5:40
    New York - Matthew Puntureri - (Too Many Men Bench Minor), 2 min, 8:24
    Danbury - Matt Nelson - (Holding), 2 min, 12:13
    New York - Andrew Scampoli - (Boarding), 2 min, 15:21
    Period 3
    Danbury - Mike Vallely - (Fighting Major), 5 min, 0:05
    New York - Joseph Pelle Jr - (Fighting Major), 5 min, 0:05
    Danbury - Andrew J. Willock - (Tripping), 2 min, 2:48
    New York - Nicholas Kuqali - (Holding), 2 min, 3:28
    New York - Kevin Druce - (Tripping), 2 min, 5:03
    Danbury - JR Bria - (Fighting Major), 5 min, 8:15
    New York - Angelo Serse - (Fighting Major), 5 min, 8:15
    Danbury - Corey Fulton - (Fighting Major), 5 min, 8:21
    New York - Chris Bain - (Fighting Major), 5 min, 8:21
    Danbury - John Halverson - (High Sticking), 2 min, 17:17

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCanuck View Post
    Danbury - Mike Vallely - (Fighting Major), 5 min, 0:05
    Just wanted to point out that Mike Vallely is a professional skateboarder/actor, now pro hockey player.

He has appeared in a few movies like The Hangover, Paul Blart: Mall Cop, xXx, and a few others

Mike is also banned from attending any Anaheim Ducks game after an incident in the stands last year.

Friday October 29, 2010 Scores

Rome Frenzy - 6
    @
    1000 Islands Privateers - 5
    Attendance - 1,700

SCORING SUMMARY
    Period 1
    1000 Islands - Clay McFadden (Justin Levac) 15:00
    1000 Islands - Adam McAllister (powerplay) (Mark Roebothan, Shawn Fensel) 18:20
    Period 2
    Rome - Tibor Varga (Marcus Gustafsson, Kirk Bolduc) 3:55
    Rome - Tibor Varga (unassisted) 4:03
    Rome - Tibor Varga (Emerson Mish, Kirk Bolduc) 4:43
    Rome - Marcus Gustafsson (Dustin Skinner, Tibor Varga) 8:02
    Period 3
    1000 Islands - Shawn Fensel (Adam McAllister) 0:12
    Rome - Dustin Skinner (Tibor Varga) 5:46
    1000 Islands - Nikita Poliakov (Tyler Fernandez) 6:47
    Rome - Tibor Varga (Marcus Gustafsson, Dustin Skinner) 9:00
    1000 Islands - Adam McAllister (extra attacker) (Mark Roebothan, Shawn Fensel) 19:15

I've looked over most of the players playing in this league now.

I'd bet my car, maybe even my house, that any of the top five NCAA D.III teams (Norwich, St. Norbert, Plattsburgh, Oswego, Middlebury) would beat the teams in this league in a best of seven series.

Most of the guys are Junior A and/or NCAA D.III guys, and not superstars at those levels.

Vallely fractured his arm during that game against Danbury, will be out for a while.

I've taken the time to look up his resume, and it's pretty impressive.

Actor, Pro skateboarder, has a thrash metal band (Revolution Mother), a hardcore punk band (Mike V and the Rats), both of which are pretty good, pro hockey player, runs a skateboard company....

What possessed Pierre Dagenais to play in this league is an utter mystery.....LOL.

What possessed Pierre Dagenais to play in this league is an utter mystery.....LOL.
    The prestige of running all over the rest of the league?
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

Lack of contract offers elsewhere?
    Deciding to get a regular job, but taking the offer to play competitively for a little extra spending money?

Lack of contract offers elsewhere?
    Deciding to get a regular job, but taking the offer to play competitively for a little extra spending money?
    I guess for that matter, you might be able to extend that to some guys in the league; I recognized Mark Roebothan and Shawn Fensel as former D-1 players who are in the Federal League. Maybe some guys are playing in vastly lower levels of hockey because they can't get contracts elsewhere, they've been injured and are getting back into the swing of things and using this as a springboard to other things, or they just don't want to play in the higher levels of hockey.

In the case of the majority of these higher-end skilled guys it's a matter of semi-retirement from hockey (i.e. having a day job, and playing more for the fun of it than the money or career move).
    A guy my dad works with played games in the LNAH (Quebec single-A semi-pro) that way for a few years.

Vallely fractured his arm during that game against Danbury, will be out for a while.

I've taken the time to look up his resume, and it's pretty impressive.

Actor, Pro skateboarder, has a thrash metal band (Revolution Mother), a hardcore punk band (Mike V and the Rats), both of which are pretty good, pro hockey player, runs a skateboard company....
    He wouldn't have broken it against Danbury since he plays for Danbury lol

You're right. Game vs the Aviators.

From Mike's website:
    A bit of bad news coming from Connecticut tonight… I just spoke briefly with Mike on the phone just now. He has fractured his arm during tonight’s hockey game with the Danbury Whalers and will be unable to continue the season. That’s all the info I have right now. More info soon…
    Also, from his Twitter account:

[/quote]Not surprising - way more interest in my story now that I've been injured - it's hilarious to me - The injury isn't the story. Missing the point.[/quote]
    Had one shift/one fight and somehow fractured my arm - I didn't even realize I was hurt until I'd been in the penalty box for a few minutes.

Pierre Dagenais alert: 5 goals and 3 assists. I'm predicting him being the runaway leader in goals and/or points this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Conesy View Post
    Pierre Dagenais alert: 5 goals and 3 assists. I'm predicting him being the runaway leader in goals and/or points this season.
    ...until a better deal comes along, ofcourse.
    You can be sincere and still be stupid - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Quote Originally Posted by Ro Herregraven View Post
    ...until a better deal comes along, ofcourse.
    According to press releases he chose to play in the FHL because he has a daughter or daughters that live in Quebec and wanted to be closer to them. Plus he knows the coach. But I would be surprise if gets some call ups (ECHL or CHL)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information