Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Why is women hockey allowed to be in Olympics?

And, too, there's an up and down... countries which were competitive in the past might no longer be... I'm thinking specifically of Hungary, who prior to WW1 was strong enough that at the 1937 or 1938 World Championship, where Canada scored double-digit goals against all other competitors, could manage only a 1:1 with Hungary.

Point is, things change, sports grow, contract... the current state of women's hockey is NOT permanent! It will change, and I and many others believe the changes will be for the better!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I wonder whether these figures could be misleading.

I think only players over 20 are registered as "male" (the rest being "junior") while I would tend to think that all girls (may be all girls over 16 ?) are registered as "women".

I doubt there is a single nation in Europe which would have more than 10% women practising if you count all ages combined (which is the proper way to do if you want to assess the future of the sport). And that's part of the problem.
    I'm not sure. I'd be surprised if they were giving men and women a different definition of junior.

Also, I'd agree with the 10% comment for full-blown competitive leagues. But these figures are only for regiestered players and I don't think the numbers are that one-sided when you get down to the levels where people just play for fun in one-off games. A lot of the sub-rec teams that I see in Britain have a reasonably good female element (around 1/4 to a 1/3).

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---
    "Night Watch", Terry Pratchett

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RiaRiaHungaria View Post
    And, too, there's an up and down... countries which were competitive in the past might no longer be... I'm thinking specifically of Hungary, who prior to WW1 was strong enough that at the 1937 or 1938 World Championship, where Canada scored double-digit goals against all other competitors, could manage only a 1:1 with Hungary.

Point is, things change, sports grow, contract... the current state of women's hockey is NOT permanent! It will change, and I and many others believe the changes will be for the better!
    Then tell the IOC to get rid of basketball, too.

IHF Prospect
    Show me a reason: why dont allow the women ice hockey take part in the Olympic games?
    Go,CANADA Devils Jerseys,Cheapest NFL Jerseys
    Go Team Devils NHL hockey,

Quote Originally Posted by jasonbird View Post
    Show me a reason: why dont allow the women ice hockey take part in the Olympic games?
    One reason is enough:nobody wants a tournament in which Canada and USA are by far the best teams while other aren't even close by quality.

So that Belarus can medal!

Quote Originally Posted by hfboards
    The Belarus Icehockey federation has analyzed why they failed in the olympics.

Translated:

Coach Michail Zacharov explains why the team lost the importand quarter final against Switzerland by 2-3:

"- Our players couldnt focus on the preparations for the game since they had to share locker room with the finnish womens team. And the finnish women walked around naked, shamelessly. Our players broke their sticks in anger when the finnish women suddenly turned up although they didnt have a game that day."

http://www.hbl.fi/text/sport/2010/3/23/w44728.php

Our players broke their sticks in anger
    Which sticks they mean, I wonder.
    UPGRADE NOW: Laho 2.0: An all-new interface, improved outlook, refitted AI, better stick handling and a whole new load of lousy jokes. 100% HPK compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by Laho View Post
    Which sticks they mean, I wonder.
    Thankfully, no wrist injuries.

IHF Staff
    Has it been disclosed already if the Belarussian players were so upset because the Finnish women were too pretty or too ugly to handle their sight?

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Women hockey?
    Not interesting.
    Salavat - green rockets!

I dunno, Kedr. The SVK-SUI women's game honestly was just as interesting to watch (if not more so) than the CZE-LAT men's game... though the crowd was bigger for the men's game, it was just as vocal at the women's game, the game play was at a lower level than the men's game, sure, but it was still a fun game to watch and a fun time at the arena (apart from of course that Slovakia lost!)

Rex: Have you seen the Finnish team? All of them are gorgeous...

Quote Originally Posted by RiaRiaHungaria View Post
    Rex: Have you seen the Finnish team? All of them are gorgeous...

IHF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Pršljen View Post

Maybe what distracted/scared the BLR guys off is underneath the equipment on this picture

Quote Originally Posted by RexKramer View Post
    Maybe what distracted/scared the BLR guys off is underneath the equipment on this picture
    yeah, some guys I guess are intimidated by women who are actually in shape (as opposed to being like stick figures)?

By the way, for me the most interesting match to watch was actually the 5th place women's game between Switzerland and Russia. That was quite an entertaining affair. 2-1 for the Swiss, decided in a shootout, lots of play at both ends.. not high talent perhaps, relative to the men, but damned entertaining nonetheless.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    yeah, some guys I guess are intimidated by women who are actually in shape (as opposed to being like stick figures)?

By the way, for me the most interesting match to watch was actually the 5th place women's game between Switzerland and Russia. That was quite an entertaining affair. 2-1 for the Swiss, decided in a shootout, lots of play at both ends.. not high talent perhaps, relative to the men, but damned entertaining nonetheless.
    Steigs,

now the question is, what "talented" means? I mean, our Swiss Ladies are very talented - in comparison with CAN and the USA and especially with the quantity of players here in SWI. But I'm agree with you. That game vs. RUS was quite entertainment, also for me. Of course, I've cheered for SWI.....
    Cheers, Franco

Well, this story about 'naked Finns' turned out to be rubbish then, and apparently Zacharov was simply making excuses for a poor performance.

The Belarussian team didn't certainly share a locker room with the Finnish women, but had their own quarters that were about '50m away' from the Belarussian locker room according to one Finnish player. She also mentioned that all she saw of the Belarussians was 'their sports bags'. (Let the double entendres fly.)

Pekka Hämäläinen, the Finnish womens' team head coach said that there was a training area in the hallway that could have allowed the Belarussians catch a glimpse of the Finns, but even then the least his players had on were T-shirts and shorts. He ended his commentary by lamenting that "If their players can't handle the sight of girls wearing shorts, there's no way it's our fault . Even the cheerleaders in the hall were wearing less."
    UPGRADE NOW: Laho 2.0: An all-new interface, improved outlook, refitted AI, better stick handling and a whole new load of lousy jokes. 100% HPK compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Steigs,

now the question is, what "talented" means? I mean, our Swiss Ladies are very talented - in comparison with CAN and the USA and especially with the quantity of players here in SWI. But I'm agree with you. That game vs. RUS was quite entertainment, also for me. Of course, I've cheered for SWI.....
    It's all relative.
    The Swiss ladies' team as a whole, is less talented than the Swiss men. Or the Canadian women.
    That doesn't mean they're a bad team, it's just a fact of comparison.

But Switzerland and Russia are both very close in terms of relative talent, and in that game it made for a very close, very hard-fought, and very entertaining affair.

As for your question, I look at it this way.
    "Skill" is, in a way, the raw material of what makes a great hockey player (in the way that iron ore is the raw material in a car's engine). Skill is the innate athletic ability that a person is born with: strength, speed, agility, coordination.
    "Talent" is, to me, the finished product (the engine itself). It is a person's ability to take their skill and, through hard work and practice, learn to turn it into a high level of play. This is where "hockey sense" comes into play, learning system and positional play and the team aspect of the game, and passion and heart (the emotional aspect of the game). Talent is the ability to actually play the game.
    So, though I may not have as much athletic skill as an Olympic sprinter for example, because I've practiced and played for years, I've developed more talent in ice hockey than that same sprinter.
    And likewise, while the two teams that played for 5th place may not have as much talent as the two that played for gold, that doesn't mean that they don't have as much skill. Just that they haven't had the chance to hone it to as fine a point.
    And, lastly, the most entertaining games for me are the ones where the teams are roughly equal in talent.

Not everyone will agree with these definitions (which really could be written in far more detail, this is just to give a general idea), but please keep in mind that this is just my own personal opinion, and my own personal definition of the terms. I'm sure that dictionaries will disagree with me as well.

IHF Member
    U18 World championships: USA-Canada in the gold medal game. When will women's hockey develop and being more competieve? Not in the near future it seems.

Lool, just pathetic.

Except that Japan found itself playing against Finland for 5th and the Germans ended 4th. Maybe there IS improvement, just from the "third tier" of women's hockey rather than the second at the moment.

IHF Member
    Is it a improvement or has the teams who were supposed to be the big challengers(Sweden&Finland) take a step back or stopped in their developement???? At least it's look not being more competieve?

Y'know, Darth, I think we get the idea, you hate the idea of women playing hockey. But why are you wasting all your energy on whinging about it? Can't find anything better to do?

IHF Prospect putting on the foil's Avatar
    Woman's hockey is in and hopefully it is going nowhere. The level of competition in the 2nd tier of teams has closed immensely in the last 10 years. The gap between the US and Canada and this 2nd tier of competition has perhaps has widened at this point in the games growth but with the continued investment ($$$, coaching, etc) in the game this gap will close. Finland I know is putting money into womens hockey and if they had some scoring firepower they could've offered a considerable challenge to the "big 2."
    Congrats to the Slovaka's for even making the Olympics!!! Too many people focus on the negative side (the "big 2" are too strong). Instead of focusing on the accomplishments of other countries to even have a women's hockey team, when it is diffucult in non-olympic years for Canada to have money for the womens team. The game is on the right path and by being on the world stage it gives hope to women that they can one day represent their country in ice hockey at the olympics. As I see the Olympic ideal is to promote sport and activity to the future athletes of the world as sport should make you feel good about yourself!!!

On the topic under debate on this thread-bandy is field hockey on ice, speed skating oval might work as a venue-scheduling nightmare though. Floorball, roller hockey put them in the summer games as they have no place in the winter games as they don't need ice or snow. Also if the games had been held one year earlier in Vancouver there was more than enough snow!!!!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information