Thread: Isn't there an ASIAN hockey championship??

IHF Member

Isn't there an ASIAN hockey championship??

There are enough teams. You could have Japan, DPRK, Korea, China, Australia, and maybe Taiwan.

There really should be one if there isn't already.

Ummmm..........I refer you to our Asia League 2009-2010 thread.

If you're talking national teams as opposed to club teams, there are the Asia Winter Games, which we have threads on if you look.

Hate to break it to you, mate, but Australia isn't part of Asia.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    Hate to break it to you, mate, but Australia isn't part of Asia.
    In Soccer(football) Asia World Cup qualifying uses Australia as part of Asia and it's even more logical to do that for ice hockey since not many countries in Asia even have ice hockey teams.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    Ummmm..........I refer you to our Asia League 2009-2010 thread.

If you're talking national teams as opposed to club teams, there are the Asia Winter Games, which we have threads on if you look.
    Yes I am talking about national teams and I scanned the threads in this section and don't see anything on the Asia Winter games.

IIHF should hold an Asian hockey Championship once a year or every other year.

Quote Originally Posted by IceHockeyRULEZ View Post
    In Soccer(football) Asia World Cup qualifying uses Australia as part of Asia and it's even more logical to do that for ice hockey since not many countries in Asia even have ice hockey teams.
    FIFA also gives independent teams to England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. They obviously don't give much of a damn for geopolitical accuracy.

As far as the AWG, we've seen how horribly lop-sided the scores can be, which makes a full Asian championship less worthwhile than the annual participation of Asian teams in World Championship pools against more equal competition, or alternatively in the Challenge Cup.

from the 2007 Games, for example:
    Kuweit - Macau: 15-2
    Macau - China: 0-26
    UAE - Kazakhstan: 0-38, with SOG 2-103
    Kazakhstan - Thailand: 52-1

And once the teams got split into the top-4 medal round, and the next-4 placement rounds:
    North Korea - Malaysia: 15-0
    Kazakstan - China: 17-1
    Kazakstan - South Korea: 14-2

The 5-6 match finished 9-2 to North Korea, defeating UAE.
    The 7-8 match finished 10-2 to Kuweit over Malaysia

IHF Member
    well. i think the 3rd annual asian games are taking place in taipei later this month... also, I think there are ~ 20 asian national teams.. but not all appear in IIHF competition yet , only asian cup and asian winter games.. and perhaps other various tournaments

http://www.google.com/url?url=http:/...aXSQAt37MKyuQ9

IHF Member
    FIFA also gives independent teams to England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. They obviously don't give much of a damn for geopolitical accuracy.

As far as the AWG, we've seen how horribly lop-sided the scores can be, which makes a full Asian championship less worthwhile than the annual participation of Asian teams in World Championship pools against more equal competition, or alternatively in the Challenge Cup.

from the 2007 Games, for example:
    Kuweit - Macau: 15-2
    Macau - China: 0-26
    UAE - Kazakhstan: 0-38, with SOG 2-103
    Kazakhstan - Thailand: 52-1

And once the teams got split into the top-4 medal round, and the next-4 placement rounds:
    North Korea - Malaysia: 15-0
    Kazakstan - China: 17-1
    Kazakstan - South Korea: 14-2

The 5-6 match finished 9-2 to North Korea, defeating UAE.
    The 7-8 match finished 10-2 to Kuweit over Malaysia
    After North Korea beat Malaysia 15-0 didn't they play anyone else? What were the North Korea scores in the previous games of the tournament?

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xunearthhxcx View Post
    well. i think the 3rd annual asian games are taking place in taipei later this month... also, I think there are ~ 20 asian national teams.. but not all appear in IIHF competition yet , only asian cup and asian winter games.. and perhaps other various tournaments

It would be interesting to see any video highlights of the Challenge Cup and see what it looks like since those are the lowest tier teams in Asia.

IHF Member
    It would be interesting to see any video highlights of the Challenge Cup and see what it looks like since those are the lowest tier teams in Asia.
    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_hoc...n_Winter_Games

no offense but you need to start learning how to search...

20 teams in the Challenge Cup of Asia?
    I highly doubt that. The article confirms 10.

It's a IIHF tournament. All participants are IIHF members. All players fulfill IIHF eligibility regulations.

This year's teams:
    Chinese Taipei
    Hong Kong
    India
    Kuweit
    Macau
    Malaysia
    Mongolia
    Singapore
    Thailand
    United Arab Emirates

In the future we might see Azerbaijan, but they're the only other IIHF member that realistically would fall into the Asian region I believe.

IHF Member
    20 teams in the Challenge Cup of Asia?
    I highly doubt that. The article confirms 10.
    What I meant was that there are about 20 asian national teams total, in all of asia, not just for the winter games. It was my poor grammar and forum etiquette in response to the quote here
    I understand its an IIHF tournament, but its likely we will only see many of these teams only competing in these Asian specific IIHF tournaments and not world tournaments such as DIV III championships etc..because they dont meet the requirements or other reasons to yet compete at the international level

As far as England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland having their own teams in FIFA, that's because their national FAs predate FIFA. That is the *only* reason they have their own teams, and they will not give any other subnational entities full member status.

IIHF doesn't have this issue to deal with, and consequently don't have to worry about the question of subnational entities.

I understand its an IIHF tournament, but its likely we will only see many of these teams only competing in these Asian specific IIHF tournaments and not world tournaments such as DIV III championships etc..because they dont meet the requirements or other reasons to yet compete at the international level
    Precisely the reason for the Challenge Cup. The IIHF sees Asia as a region underserved by the sport, and uses this tournament to encourage Asian nations who are just beginning to develop the sport by giving them a forum where they can compete for their country, and where these national programs can use the Challenge Cup as a springboard to full World Championship participation.
    That there isn't a similar program in Europe disappoints me, as there are definitely a few countries there that could possibly make use of a non-ranking regional championship for the same reasons... Liechtenstein, Andorra, Moldova, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Portugal, Georgia, and from conversations I've had with some players from Luxembourg they too might consider this an alternative at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by RiaRiaHungaria View Post
    As far as England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland having their own teams in FIFA, that's because their national FAs predate FIFA. That is the *only* reason they have their own teams, and they will not give any other subnational entities full member status.

IIHF doesn't have this issue to deal with, and consequently don't have to worry about the question of subnational entities.
    That may be true, but I should point out that Latvia had its own membership prior to the second world war, but that membership was voided once the Soviet Union joined the IIHF. Whatever the historical significance, the IIHF doesn't allow subnational entities member status separate from a full national federation and never has.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RiaRiaHungaria View Post

Except in recent times Hong Kong and Macau have kept their status with the IOC and the IIHF despite now being part of the PRC.

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffH View Post
    Except in recent times Hong Kong and Macau have kept their status with the IOC and the IIHF despite now being part of the PRC.

Geoff
    It probably helps that they are recognized by the IOC, like the US Virgin Islands, where the British home nations are not (i.e. in curling, GBR is represented by Scotland).

Macau and Hong Kong, like China, produce valid passports as part of their status within China as Special Administrative Regions.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

Thread Information