Thread: Pro Hockey Life in Turkey

Turkey Pro Hockey Life in Turkey

Hello,
    I have been asked a lot about life in Turkey and what the hockey is like. I have tried to answer all the messages, but I thought I would just share my blog that I have been keeping since day 1 of my life in Ankara, Turkey.

So please feel free to read all my past postings because it has been a roller coaster of a ride.

Here is the link:
    http://biltonhockey.blogspot.com

But please feel free to contact me for any information.
    Cheers!

Hello,
    Thanks for the comments and questions messaged to me and I just wanted to tell everyone that yes these stories are true.

Yes, my club, Baskent, issued death threats to my fiancee and promised that they are sending people 'after us' in Canada and the USA. So please, before anyone goes to Turkey to play hockey contact me or just read my blog.

Cheers!

IHF Member
    Please read Tylers blog if you are planning to go to Turkey, it is completely true, I spent 2 seasons there with the Polis Akademisi club and went home approx $3000 USD short on my salary of what they promised to pay me and what their Turkish only copy of their contract said - learned my lesson the hard way there, never accept anything verbal and even in writing doesnt really help anyway. Only managed to get my ticket home after I threatened to take the Polis club to court and get the IIHF and go to the media.
    First season was ok generally paid the amount promised albeit a little late most months. But the 2nd season was a night mare, I had to find my own apartment, I paid for my own bed and furniture - and didnt get paid for the last month I was there. I never missed a practice and helped coach their team and also their learn to skate program without any salary which they did promise. Unfotunately there is some good clubs in Turkish ice hockey and the rest give ice hockey a terrible name, I did work part time with the Truva club and they were absolutely fantastic and the bunch of girls and the kids team I coached were fantastic, warm owners of the club who always paid on time and never any hassles.
    The other good club is the Istanbul Paten club currently on hold whilst one of their main organisers Cengiz is in NZ with me :P but they are a great bunch with a great owner Naci who looks after his club.
    The Baskent club in the past were very good and I am disappointed they treated Tyler, and his girlfriend so badly seems doesnt take much for these owners to change their tune when money isnt talking.
    The ANKA club is the worst club I have ever come across and please NOBODY play for them EVER EVER EVER if you want to come out of Turkey alive, I would strongly recommend you would not be safe, also you would have no money, no apartment and no food if you played for them if they ever get to have a team again.
    The Polis club has its moments but only want to look after you when your team is winning, they are your best friend but the whole polis system in Turkey is corrupt and I wouldnt trust any of them as far as I could throw them!! And yes please can you pay me my money now!!??? Thanks for leaving me in serious debt coming back to NZ.
    THe ANkara Uni club is excellent, run by genuiune honest caring Turkish people as are most of the people in Turkey. Play for them if you go there. Millenyum club appears to be doing well also and my friend Sarma enjoyed her time.
    As for the Turkish Federation OMG, a bunch of egotistical F*^%k wits, who have no clue about the game of ice hockey. They are simply there to gain position, prestige and feel good about themselves, they dont care about the players, even their own Turkish nationals!!! They have no idea of development or coaching programs, and yes they love to get their photo taken, we had to stop a training before finals once so they could come and get their photo on the ice, and we wernt even in the photo, and no extension to our ice time.
    Hockey has a huge future in turkey if they sack the federation, clean up the clubs, have some authority over the foreign players contracts to step in and help when needed, and emply some people who have a clue about ice, ice rinks, hockey and sport in general.
    I loved my time in Turkey and met a wonderful and special man, I met some wonderful people and also some twofaced untrustworthy people who only befriend you to look cool. The country is diverse, beautiful, ancient, modern all at the same time and I will never regret going there.
    But do be warned everything I and Tyler say is true, we can give you more contacts who also played there and have the same problems.

Glad your back home Tyler hope to meet you guys some day!
    Angelique

IHF Member

New Zealand Play in Turkey, hmmm be warned

Please read Tylers blog if you are planning to go to Turkey, it is completely true, I spent 2 seasons there with the Polis Akademisi club and went home approx $3000 USD short on my salary of what they promised to pay me and what their Turkish only copy of their contract said - learned my lesson the hard way there, never accept anything verbal and even in writing doesnt really help anyway. Only managed to get my ticket home after I threatened to take the Polis club to court and get the IIHF and go to the media.
    First season was ok generally paid the amount promised albeit a little late most months. But the 2nd season was a night mare, I had to find my own apartment, I paid for my own bed and furniture - and didnt get paid for the last month I was there. I never missed a practice and helped coach their team and also their learn to skate program without any salary which they did promise. Unfotunately there is some good clubs in Turkish ice hockey and the rest give ice hockey a terrible name, I did work part time with the Truva club and they were absolutely fantastic and the bunch of girls and the kids team I coached were fantastic, warm owners of the club who always paid on time and never any hassles.
    The other good club is the Istanbul Paten club currently on hold whilst one of their main organisers Cengiz is in NZ with me :P but they are a great bunch with a great owner Naci who looks after his club.
    The Baskent club in the past were very good and I am disappointed they treated Tyler, and his girlfriend so badly seems doesnt take much for these owners to change their tune when money isnt talking.
    The ANKA club is the worst club I have ever come across and please NOBODY play for them EVER EVER EVER if you want to come out of Turkey alive, I would strongly recommend you would not be safe, also you would have no money, no apartment and no food if you played for them if they ever get to have a team again.
    The Polis club has its moments but only want to look after you when your team is winning, they are your best friend but the whole polis system in Turkey is corrupt and I wouldnt trust any of them as far as I could throw them!! And yes please can you pay me my money now!!??? Thanks for leaving me in serious debt coming back to NZ.
    THe ANkara Uni club is excellent, run by genuiune honest caring Turkish people as are most of the people in Turkey. Play for them if you go there. Millenyum club appears to be doing well also and my friend Sarma enjoyed her time.
    As for the Turkish Federation OMG, a bunch of egotistical F*^%k wits, who have no clue about the game of ice hockey. They are simply there to gain position, prestige and feel good about themselves, they dont care about the players, even their own Turkish nationals!!! They have no idea of development or coaching programs, and yes they love to get their photo taken, we had to stop a training before finals once so they could come and get their photo on the ice, and we wernt even in the photo, and no extension to our ice time.
    Hockey has a huge future in turkey if they sack the federation, clean up the clubs, have some authority over the foreign players contracts to step in and help when needed, and emply some people who have a clue about ice, ice rinks, hockey and sport in general.
    I loved my time in Turkey and met a wonderful and special man, I met some wonderful people and also some twofaced untrustworthy people who only befriend you to look cool. The country is diverse, beautiful, ancient, modern all at the same time and I will never regret going there.
    But do be warned everything I and Tyler say is true, we can give you more contacts who also played there and have the same problems.

Glad your back home Tyler hope to meet you guys some day!
    Angelique

Thanks Angelique!

Glad to know there is always someone in your corner! Keep in touch, hopefully next summer I can come down there and play a season!

Thread Information