Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NHL-KHL (and other European) Exhibition Games 2010

Nicely done, but Carolina pulled Ward out of the goal when it was 3-3 and put in some guy with no NHL experience.......I wonder why they did that?

Anyway, I had predicted an SKA win and a Phoenix win, with the NHL teams winning all of the games against non-KHL clubs.

So far, I'm three-for-three. :)

Minnesota up 3-1 in the third over Ilves Tampere.

Huh, a very exciting game. :) Hoping to see a similar game on wednesday.

What were the shots on goal?

Did either team dominate, or was it evenly played?

The Minnesota Wild has beaten Ilves Tampere 5-1 today.

IHF Member

Great Britain

Just watched SKA vs Carolina, not sure of the strngth of Carolina but if they give half as many turnovers away in their own thrid in this upcoming NHL season their chance for Lord Stanley's mug will be over by christmas.

SKA turned up to win a hockey game, Carolina turned up to win a battle, in the end both sides were victorious, SKA won the game in a more than convincing manner than I thought they might, the 'Canes won the fights which in fact made the game something less than it should have been. If Carolina had kept to a better game plan they might have got something out of the game, instead at every opportunity their players slapped or punched their opponents drawing stupid penalties which for some reason the officials tried to make as even as possible, SKA being given many penalties which I thought were a bit harsh. As it was Carolina's special teams turned out to be just that, for example during the middle of the second period Carolina had two power-play chances, on the first they passed SKA inside out and opened them up for an "easy" goal, a couple of minutes later they had another 5-on-4 chance but this time gave the puck away, fanned on passes and gave SKA a couple of breakaway chances to score, so they were either especially good or especially bad, special indeed.

A very good game though saying all of that, I enjoyed it... but still have that niggling feeling it could have been great if Carolina had turned up to play a hockey match too.

CJ :)

I enjoyed the game, and thought Carolina were treating it with reasonable seriousness, more so than a "usual" preseason game - I don't believe they can honestly claim they didn't care about the result and weren't playing to win.

Carolina did show, though, which league fights more; I think they should schedule a game between Vityaz and the Flyers!

Looking forward now to Riga vs Phoenix, and very much pulling for Dinamo!

Marc: shots on goal were 42:34 for SKA.

I'm kinda surprised... neither TSN nor CBC have a word about the SKA-Carolina game anywhere that I can see... but only kinda surprised...

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    Nicely done, but Carolina pulled Ward out of the goal when it was 3-3 and put in some guy with no NHL experience.......I wonder why they did that?

Anyway, I had predicted an SKA win and a Phoenix win, with the NHL teams winning all of the games against non-KHL clubs.

So far, I'm three-for-three. :)
    Peters has NHL experience and before match, Hurricanes said that Ward would play half the match unless he was not happy with the action or just wanted to keep playing that he had green light to stay in for as long as he wanted.

Peters has NHL experience? How many games? Ten?

Anyway, sounds like a decent game; I know Carolina was treating it somewhat seriously, but they were not going to go all out to win it, as evidenced by them taking Ward out while the game was tied 3-3; this is typical behavior for an NHL team in a pre-season game. In addition, they did not use their captain and best player, Eric Staal, in the third period.

Meanwhile, SKA obviously treated the game with the respect it deserved - while yes, it was an exhibition, they still treated it as a special event; they used their starting goaltender for the entire game and didn't rest any of their stars.

Here's the NHL website's article on the game -

http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=...id=DL|NHL|home

Here are some excerpts from the NHL article (used for educational purposes here), which include comments by Carolina coach Paul Maurice - where he admits to taking his stars out of the game so that they wouldn't get injured in what was a chippy game that he felt was not effectively controlled by the referees, since he needs them for NHL play......
    -----------------------------------------------

Staal, who was knocked around in the second period, was not on the bench for the third. However, the Hurricanes said he was not injured.

"It seemed like they were getting closer and closer to his knees and there wasn't a big concern on the ice about it," Hurricanes coach Paul Maurice said. "He's a National Hockey League star player and he should be playing in the National Hockey League."

Cole said the Hurricanes didn't really know what to expect from the game.

"I don't think any of us have really watched a game from here," he said. "Babs (Anton Babchuk) is the only one who has played a game in this league so maybe he knew what to expect, but we weren't real sure, obviously."

"We didn't want to take any chances with our top end guys getting hurt, so we got them out of there."

I dunno. I think that was a tactic, pulling Staal out of the game, I didn't really see anyone going after his knees. Pulling Staal from the game after seeing that SKA has a good chance of winning, I think was more a method of saving face after the game; same with Ward, even if that was a planned pull. "see, we pulled our best player and best goalie, of course they'll win".

Pure face-saving IMO. Again trying with the "we weren't trying" nonsense, and of course the vast majority of NHL fans will of course believe it...

Banned
    Is it true, that tomorow Malmo will be playing together with players from Rogle against Columbus...???

Ria Ria - I don't buy that........sorry.

From what I saw, it WAS chippy, with a lot of slashing, pushing, and punching potshots by both sides.

No need to risk a star player getting hurt in a game that has no bearing on anything other than pride.

I also don't think Carolina made any excuses about losing.....they credited SKA on the win and didn't claim that they lost due to pulling Staal and Ward.

Plus, both guys were pulled when the game was 3-3, not when SKA had the lead.

Anyway, Carolina is not expected by most experts to make the playoffs this year, while SKA, on paper at least, has the most talented roster in the KHL, along with its highest payroll.

It pretty much confirms what many have thought all along - the best half-dozen KHL teams can easily hang in there with an NHL team, beat any NHL team on any given night, especially in a one game scenario, and especially playing a lower-end NHL team on KHL ice, when the KHL team is well into its regular season and the NHL team hasn't started its regular season yet.

This doesn't mean that all of a sudden the NHL isn't the world's best league anymore........the Philadelphia Flyers lost to their AHL farm team a year or two ago, and gave up 10 goals in the game.

I'd be more impressed if a KHL team beat an NHL team when both leagues are well into their regular seasons instead of when the NHL team is still in the pre-season.

With all of that said, I hope this result will shut up a lot of the morons who post over at tsn.ca/nhl and constantly act as if the NHL is light-years ahead of every other league.

Banned
    I was watching the 2/3 period of the game, from that periods Carolina was the better team...it is just my point of view...
    Just to say that this game was a live coveraging from our sport channel in Serbia - ARENASPORT 1

There certainly were some cheap shots from SKA players towards Canes players. Corvo got injury in first period (where I didn't notice) and then there was ugly penalty on Staal and so the Canes tough guys showed that these penalties have some consequences. Referees lost the upper hand and some cheap shots were thrown. With Corvo injured and Gleeson sent to locker room for fighting Hurricanes withdraw Staal from the game. SKA players used PP chances and controlled totally uneventful last period.

Hurricanes looked a much better team in first 30 minutes with full roster, but two lucky goals and some great Nabby saves gave St.Petersburg two goal lead. in the end SKA looked much fitter and more hungry to win to close the game out. Overall impression is that Canes are a better team than SKA. I fear the worst for DR when they will be facing Phonix.

Roki, I have no doubt that Carolina, the Islanders, or any NHL team would win in a best of seven series against any non-NHL team.

However, SKA won, fair and square. No excuses can be, or should be, made.

For the thousandth time, I will say it: ANY team from ANY top-7 European league, or even from EBEL or the Belarus Open League can, on any given night, beat an NHL team in a one game situation.

SKA (KHL) has proven it. Tappara Tampere (SM-Liiga) has proven it. ZSC Lions (NLA) have proven it.

As for Malmo, I'm not sure if they are using reinforcements or not. I'd be very surprised but not totally stunned if a good Allsvenskan team pulled off an upset of a weak NHL team in a one game scenario. I do expect Columbus to win the game, though.

IHF Member
    If it were Salavat or Ak Bars instead of SKA, the score would have been embarrassing for Caroline. SKA's been horrible all season. With that joke of a coach zanatta is, I'd recommend to not jump to the conclusions (Vishnevskiy on PK?) Islanders winning a best of 7 series against Billyaletdinov's team? Haha, give me a break.

Quote Originally Posted by ult View Post
    If it were Salavat or Ak Bars instead of SKA, the score would have been embarrassing for Caroline. SKA's been horrible all season. With that joke of a coach zanatta is, I'd recommend to not jump to the conclusions (Vishnevskiy on PK?) Islanders winning a best of 7 series against Billyaletdinov's team? Haha, give me a break.
    Hehe ye I thought that too, how actually good SKA played against Canes, SKA got like the worst defense in league, I thought they will get destroyed on the ice. Man I would love to see Salavat Yulaev, Ak Bars or Avangard play nhl team.

And to people saying something about leagues, of course nhl is lightyears ahead any league in world, no one would say otherwise unless he is mentally ill, don't need to stick it in. And lol at that article, it was written as if SKA wanted to cripple Staal intentionally. About Riga, I am afraid we will get destroyed unless players play their best game up to date.

IHF Member Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
    Good game by SKA and awesome Datsyuk-style goal by Yashin.

I love one line from the NHL.com article:
    "Gleason, coming to the defense of Staal, who appeared to be a target of the SKA players, went after Alexei Petrov at the 6:34 mark of the second period. This was before the puck had even dropped after the refs had put Carolina's Jay Harrison and SKA's Maxim Rybin in the box for matching roughing minors."

LOLWHUT?
    How could the author miss the fact that Gleason slashed SKA's captain Sushinsky while going to the bench? Petrov himself said that as well, I can understand that surely the author can't know Russian or at least couldn't read sites right after the game, but what sparked that "fight" was Gleason's slash at Sushinsky
    My articles at The Hockey Writers

Quote Originally Posted by HATE View Post

And to people saying something about leagues, of course nhl is lightyears ahead any league in world, no one would say otherwise unless he is mentally ill, don't need to stick it in.
    Come on, NHL is not lightyears ahead the KHL. The NHL is the best hockey product of the world, that's it. The KHL is a good league as well.

Anyhow, I'm happy for the SKA's win, but God, I would have preferred 100 times a game between Salavat Yulaev/Ak Bars Kazan and the Detroit Red Wings/Montreal Canadiens or smth like that. I see little point in having games between teams which are blatantly worse than the respective leagues' top teams.

Anyway, Carolina is not expected by most experts to make the playoffs this year, while SKA, on paper at least, has the most talented roster in the KHL, along with its highest payroll.
    Pretty much everyone during the preseason said that they'll be the fiasco of the season - and so far they were so...

SKA: Real Madrid on ice...

Quote Originally Posted by RiaRiaHungaria View Post
    SKA: Real Madrid on ice...
    No need to exaggerate like that.

any of you that have actually played any sort of pro hockey would know how much of a mental game it is. With so much of it played between the ears. I will tell you 100% that any NHL team that has to leave the country during camp to play meaningless exhibition games isn't focused one bit on there European counterparts. there not watching video, there not watching stats or preparing line matches. there not practicing for weeks to learn new systems to be successful on Olympic ice. Rookies have bin being pounded the past three weeks on the teams NHL systems and team strategy and are focused purely on roster spots and vets are trying to get there legs back for the 82 game grind. The only thing exiting for these players is the site seeing on the trip. The last thing an NHL team wants to do in pre season is have to break out of the normal training camp routine and fly half way around the world to play friendly's. hopefully the NHL brass starts to realize after these loses that the NHL is losing more international fans that gaining and ends the games. As i said before and I say it again, if the NHL wants to touch foot over there , the AHL champion should play a 7 game series after there championship with the KHL champion. those AHLers after a championship would be hungrier than any NHL team to go over there and show off there talent. If thats not good enough, the WJC and WC's is good enough for me to see the best from around the world on the same ice.
    "It's not about being the fastest skater in the league, it's about being the first one to the puck." -Sidney Crosby

Carolina did show, though, which league fights more; I think they should schedule a game between Vityaz and the Flyers!
    That game would last about 3 minutes and fifty-something seconds.

So the NHL-KHL score is now 1-1, with the KHL topping the standings on goal differential.
    I'll be cheering for Dinamo, seeing as how they're my KHL team anyway.

I don't know about TSN, but local sports radio did mention the score (and actually mentioned SKA St. Petersburg by name, not as just "a KHL team" or some such, which impressed me). Then again, our sports radio does regularly display some small degree of understanding about European hockey (usually coming from commentators who've played there before)

I dunno. I think that was a tactic, pulling Staal out of the game, I didn't really see anyone going after his knees. Pulling Staal from the game after seeing that SKA has a good chance of winning, I think was more a method of saving face after the game; same with Ward, even if that was a planned pull. "see, we pulled our best player and best goalie, of course they'll win".

Pure face-saving IMO. Again trying with the "we weren't trying" nonsense, and of course the vast majority of NHL fans will of course believe it...
    Sure, they'll believe it because the North American sports mentality is "we have the best leagues, and every team in our league is a thousand times better than any team from anywhere else".
    That goes NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL.
    I'll bet some North Americans even believe that about MLS.

North America does indeed have the top leagues in the world in hockey, baseball, & basketball.

Several European forum members in this thread watched the game and said Carolina was the better team, but that SKA got a few lucky goals, and that Carolina didn't play hard in the third period.

Most pro hockey players who have played in both the NHL and the KHL have said that the NHL is clearly the world's best league, and this includes Russian greats like Fetisov, Ovechkin, and Malkin, as well as Czech legends Jaromir Jagr and Dominik Hasek, who just made the comment a week or two ago.

However, that does NOT mean that it is "light years" ahead of the KHL, and it does NOT mean that KHL teams can't beat NHL teams in a one game scenario - of course they can.

I would, however, take ANY NHL team - even the Islanders, Maple Leafs, or Blue Jackets - in a best of seven series against ANY non-NHL team, including Salavat or Ak Bars......I'd bet the deed to my house on it.

As for SKA, they are a classic example that "best team on paper" doesn't always translate to success on the ice. They clearly have the most talent in the KHL, but have been a major disappointment so far. I said before the season that if they don't win the Gagarin Cup, it would be a disgrace, and I stand by that statement.

What I'd love to see are the Penguins, Red Wings and Capitals involved with Salavat, Ak Bars and SKA in home-and-home two game series in about the middle of the NHL season. After that, they can use the same KHL teams and repeat the process with the Isles, Blue Jackets and Maple Leafs. Twelve games, and I'd bet that the NHL teams win eight of them.

I'm fully convinced that the top KHL teams could take a best of 7 against an NHL team; with relative ease against the weakest of the NHL teams. Against the upper half or third of NHL teams, they'd have to win in 4 or 5 (i.e. have a lot of luck, or just super chemistry like the Habs vs PIT and WSH).

Ak Bars - Isles? Kazan in 5. Magnitka - Leafs? Magnitka in 5.

Magnitka - Canucks? Magnitka in 4 or Vancouver in 7.

Magnita lost to the Rangers when the Rangers weren't even using their full NHL roster in a game that Magnita said in the press was "huge for Russian hockey" (both their coach and Mezin said that). Picking them to beat a very strong NHL team like Vancouver in a best of seven is ridiculous. One game? Sure. Best of seven? Mathematically possible, but, like I said, I'd bet the deed to my house.

Marc - you misunderstood. I meant Magnitka would win in four, but if it went more than 4 games, it would be the Canucks winning in 7!

Also: this is a different Magnitogorsk team than that one back then... :P

North America does indeed have the top leagues in the world in hockey, baseball, & basketball.
    I'm not arguing that, but are we really going to say that they are so good that their bottom teams should be beating league champions from the next-best league by 10, 25, and 50 points (respectively)?
    That's the arrogance of sports fans on our continent.
    We are spoiled by having top leagues with top budgets, and many of us have become very arrogant about that. It's unfortunate, and it's very VERY nice to have that wakeup call from time to time. Problem is that arrogance doesn't get washed away by the odd wakeup call when there's a tailor-made excuse: "it was exhibition, it didn't matter" "they pulled their best players out of the game" etc etc.

It's crap, and it annoys me.

I would, however, take ANY NHL team - even the Islanders, Maple Leafs, or Blue Jackets - in a best of seven series against ANY non-NHL team, including Salavat or Ak Bars......I'd bet the deed to my house on it.
    I'd gladly take the deed to your house on a best-of-seven Leafs-Salavat series.

"I'm not arguing that, but are we really going to say that they are so good that their bottom teams should be beating league champions from the next-best league by 10, 25, and 50 points (respectively)?
    That's the arrogance of sports fans on our continent.
    We are spoiled by having top leagues with top budgets, and many of us have become very arrogant about that. It's unfortunate, and it's very VERY nice to have that wakeup call from time to time. Problem is that arrogance doesn't get washed away by the odd wakeup call when there's a tailor-made excuse: "it was exhibition, it didn't matter" "they pulled their best players out of the game" etc etc.

It's crap, and it annoys me."

------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with that 100%.

..... sometimes I think I should stop listening to sports-talk radio. Only problem is, that the news station gets on my nerves even more.
    Thank goodness for my iPod, because it gets the majority of airtime in my truck (which I drive for 10-11 hours every day for work).

I gave up on sports radio a long time ago... the people who call in around here have to be some of the most ignorant (about hockey, I mean) I've ever heard speak... and oftentimes the commentators aren't that much better... *shrug*

Here are some comments from Eric Staal on the SKA - Hurricanes game:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=539544

Quote Originally Posted by buffmatt78 View Post
    ...I will tell you 100% that any NHL team that has to leave the country during camp to play meaningless exhibition games isn't focused one bit on there European counterparts. there not watching video, there not watching stats or preparing line matches. there not practicing for weeks to learn new systems to be successful on Olympic ice...
    Well... Babchuk said that they were doing everything just like before a regular NHL game, including watching video and thinking about tactics.
    Taro Tsujimoto, the greatest NHL player ever!

Quote Originally Posted by roki View Post
    Is it true, that tomorow Malmo will be playing together with players from Rogle against Columbus...???
    That was the idea at first, but fans from Rögle and Malmö balked at the idea of a joint team. The discussion ran especially high up in Rögle, where the club president received threats to force him to pull out. In the end, Rögle did just that, so it is a pure Malmö team playing Columbus.

They will not use their starting goalie and at least three of their ordinary players will be off the roster with juniors filling the spots. The coach has also been quoted as saying that those who usually get a lot of ice time may get less in this game.
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

Here are some comments from Eric Staal on the SKA - Hurricanes game:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=539544
    These comments are ridicolous. I am really surprised to "hear" such things from an NHL team. Yes, there were a couple of cheap moments from SKA players, but what about Gleason's slash to Sushinsky? What about head-hunting by Pitkanen? According to this, Zanatta should have scratch his captain too. But instead of this nonsense Sushinsky decided the game. IMHO yesterday SKA captain >>>> Carolina captain.

Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    When there was no way last season of determining a European champion.
    Doh yeah, forgot about that.

But I assume it is hopefully not permanently put to rest then?

Quote Originally Posted by buffmatt78 View Post
    I will tell you 100% that any NHL team that has to leave the country during camp to play meaningless exhibition games isn't focused one bit on there European counterparts. there not watching video, there not watching stats or preparing line matches.
    Anton Babchuk:
    - Изучали соперника перед поединком?

- Да, обычные видеопросмотры были перед игрой, по тактике. Ничего особенного, всё как перед обычным матчем.

Translation:
    - Did you study your opponents before your trip?

- Yes, before the game we watched videos, planned tactics. Nothing special, just like before any other match.

Boxscores and schedule:

Belfast Giants (EIHL) – Boston Bruins 1-5 (0-0, 1-2, 1-3)
    1-0 35:40 Jade Galbraith (Weaver, Motzka)
    1-1 36:30 Tyler Seguin (Seidenberg, Hunwick)
    1-2 38:20 Zdeno Chara (Thornton, Campbell)
    1-3 39:02 Dennis Seidenberg (Thornton, Chara)
    1-4 49:56 Milan Lucic (McQuaid, Krejci)
    1-5 56:32 Tyler Seguin PS
    BEL 2x2, BOS 2x2

BEL: Murphy (Craze) – Seeley, Mason, Gleed, Cook, Bayrack, Galbrith, Walton, Hoffman – Garside, Hemingway, Prudden, Shields, Welch, Christiansen, Benedict, Peacock.

BOS: Rask (Thomas) – Ference, Chara, Bartkowski, Sedenberg, Stuart, Hunwick, McQuaid, Boychuk- Campbell, Lucic, Horton, Seguin, Paille, Thornton, Wheeler, Recchi, Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand, Ryder, McGrattan, Savard.

Adler Mannheim (DEL) - San Jose Sharks 2-3 SO (1-0, 0-0, 1-2, 0-0, 1-0)
    04:01 1-0 Klinge (Robinson, Scalzo)
    53:46 1-1 McGinn (Setoguchi, Thornton) PP1
    55:37 1-2 Setoguchi (Boyle, Thornton) PP1
    56:49 2-2 Pollock (Robinson, MacDonald) PP1
    65:00 2-3 Boyle SO
    ADL 8x2, SJS 5x2, SOG: 29-60, Att.: 13600, Ref.: Daniel Piechaczek, Tim Peel

Goalies:
    Fred Brathwaite (out 29:30) 20/20
    Lukas Lang 38/40
    Antti Niemi 27/29

Ilves Tampere (SM-Liiga) - Minnesota Wild 1-5 (0-1, 1-0, 0-4)
    0-1 08:06 Cal Clutterbuck (Matt Cullen)
    1-1 22:36 Jyrki Jokipakka
    1-2 47:10 Cal Clutterbuck (Matt Cullen)
    1-3 53:06 Marek Zidlicky (Mikko Koivu)
    1-4 56:59 Cal Clutterbuck
    1-5 57:34 Chuck Kobasew (John Madden)

Ilves: Aittokallio (Hurme) – Glenn, Bruun, Kuronen, Lee, Niinimäki – Peltola, Bäckström, Korhonen, Kantola, Pellinen – Jokipakka, Kesä, Rask, Myttynen, Sointu – Mäkinen, Västilä, Välimaa, Tuominen, Keränen.

Minnesota: Backstrom (Khubodin) – Schultz, Burns, Brunette, M. Koivu, Miettinen – Zanon, Zidlicky, Wellman, Culler, Clutterbuck – Falk, Bagnall, Nystrom, Madden, Kobasew – Stoner, Barker, Kassian, Brodziak, Staubitz

SKA St. Petersburg (KHL) – Carolina 5-3 (2-0, 1-3, 2-0)
    1-0 01:51 Konstantin Panov (Gleb Klimenko)
    2-0 19:54 Maxim Rybin (Maxim Afinogenov) PP
    2-1 22:01 Tuomo Ruutu (Jussi Jokinen, Brett Carson)
    2-2 23:22 Patrick Dwyer
    3-2 26:53 Aleksei Yashin
    3-3 34:52 Jeff Skinner (Tuomo Tuutu, Joni Pitkanen) PP
    4-3 41:47 Maksim Sushinsky (Aleksei Yashin, Petr Cajanek) PP
    5-3 46:36 Maksim Sushinsky (Petr Cajanek, Aleksei Yashin)
    SKA 9x2 + 2x25 (Petrov, Golovkov), CAR 9x2 + 3x25 (Gleason, Pitkanen, Harrison), SOG: 32-34, Att.: 12300

SKA: Nabokov (Sokolov) – Berdyukov, Vishnevsky, Golovkov, Grebeshkov, Gusev, Denisov, Peretyagin, Petrov – Afinogenov, Brylin, But, Klimenko, Kucheryavenko, Martensson, Panov, Rybin, Sushinsky, Cajanek, Shitikov, Yashin.

CAR: Ward (26:34 Peters) – Babchuk, Gleason, Carson, Corvo, McBain, Pitkanen, Sanguinetti, Harrison – Dalpe, Dwyer, Jokinen, Kostopulos, Cole, Larose, O'Sullivan, Ruutu, Sutter, Skinne, Staal, Tlusty.

Bili Tigri Liberec (Tipsport Extraliga) - Boston Bruins

Malmo Redhawks (Allsvenskan) - Columbus Blue Jackets

Dinamo Riga (KHL) - Phoenix Coyotes

If somebody have any more informations about these games, please post (rosters, PiM infos, Attedances, SOG)
    Last edited by Piotrek; 14-04-2011 at 15:46.
    Bo gdyby, ach gdyby wszystko na tym świecie dało się rostrzygać na lodowiskach, w trzech tercjach, kijem i krążkiem, to nie tylko wszak kanadyjskim zawodowcom z NHL, nie tylko wiarołomnym antysocjalistycznym Czechom, ale całemu światu, ba, nawet duszmanom z Pandższiru, Heratu i Kandaharu spuściłaby tęgi a druzgocący wpierdol hokejowa reprezentacja ZSRR, a w jej składzie Ragulin, Fetisow, Kasatonow oraz, bladź, Kapustin, Golikow i Malcew.

Andrzej Sapkowski, "Żmija"

IHF Member

Great Britain

Several European forum members in this thread watched the game and said Carolina was the better team, but that SKA got a few lucky goals, and that Carolina didn't play hard in the third period.
    I hope your not putting me in this category... the game I watched didn't see any "lucky goals" for SKA, they pounced on some bad mistakes by Carolina and made them pay, it could have been a lot worse had SKA finished more of the turnovers (which had more to do with 'Canes being sloppy than SKA fore-checking).

Carolina for ten minutes in the second were the better team, I can't deny that, but for much of the first, half of the second and most of the third period they were more concerned with getting cheap shots in at SKA players after whistles had blown than they were putting pressure on net.

I hadn't noticed Carolina pulling Staal for the third though they did change their 'keeper, if he's good enough to put on an NHL Jersey then who cares how many games he's got. It was hardly the net-minders fault for the loss anyway.

CJ :)

I gave up on sports radio a long time ago... the people who call in around here have to be some of the most ignorant (about hockey, I mean) I've ever heard speak... and oftentimes the commentators aren't that much better... *shrug*
    Our local guys are actually pretty knowledgeable. Callers can be morons, but the hosts usually set them straight.
    Of course, then we get Jim Rome from noon to 3pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro Seren Rosso View Post
    These comments are ridicolous. I am really surprised to "hear" such things from an NHL team. Yes, there were a couple of cheap moments from SKA players, but what about Gleason's slash to Sushinsky? What about head-hunting by Pitkanen? According to this, Zanatta should have scratch his captain too. But instead of this nonsense Sushinsky decided the game. IMHO yesterday SKA captain >>>> Carolina captain.
    Damn, you're right!
    North Americans should be put in jail!

Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    Damn, you're right!
    North Americans should be put in jail!
    Why this sarcasm?

IHF Member
    This was a hockey event where there are radically different opinions on what they saw.

http://english.ruvr.ru/rtvideo/2010/..._24180451.html

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/rbh/

Alessandro -

The game obviously meant less to Carolina, which is why they pulled Ward and Staal, and didn't use their top three defensemen, for anywhere from one third to one half of the game.

Had SKA felt the same way, and been worried about risk of injury to its stars from supposedly dirty Carolina play, they could have done the same, but chose not to.

Basically, that's Steigs's point.

Incidentally, Carolina's backup goalie, Justin Peters, has 9 games of NHL experience.

FromDurham - I'm referring to Oz and Roki's observations and opinions.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information