Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NHL-KHL (and other European) Exhibition Games 2010

Too bad Weinhandl didn't play, suddleny best line of SKA turned into shit.
    I am scared of Coyotes-Riga game, we just might get destroyed there on ice, knowing our no legionnaire defense

I still believe that Carolina pulled their top players after seeing SKA presented a serious challenge, at that SKA had a very serious chance of winning that game fair and square, and so the Canes pulled their best players so that the "we weren't trying" excuse could still be used. This is /all/ that I've seen from them post-game: just lots of excuses. Going after Staal? What about going after Sushinsky?

Whatever. I hope there's no more NHL-KHL games, until the NHL can man up and admit to losing a game fairly.

NHL.com has a livestream of the match between Malmö and Columbus.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...id=DL|NHL|home

4-1 Columbus, with Antoine Vermette scoring 2 goals
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

Columbus defeated Malmo 4-1.

Boston clubbed Liberec of the Czech Extraliga 7-1.

As for Carolina-SKA, the IIHF's website confirms that SKA treated this game as much more than an exhibition game - it was treated as being for the "pride of Russian hockey and the KHL". Medvedev himself visited SKA's practice the day of the game and stated how important it was. Meanwhile, Carolina clearly did not treat it that way.

Here are some quotes (reprinted for educational use):

[For SKA’s Swede Tony Martensson this was a different exhibition game. “You knew already at the morning skate that this would not be a just another game. Our president Alexander Medvedev held a speech when he interrupted the practice and he told us that Russian hockey has waited twenty years for this game. And you also sensed it in the locker room before the game. I don’t think that people outside Russia really realize how much this game meant to the country, the club and the league,” said the former NHLer, who also played for KHL club Ak Bars Kazan three years ago. “I don’t believe that you can judge the two leagues by this game alone, it’s simply not fair. But this on the other hand shows that the best KHL teams can compete with NHL clubs. And this league is improving all the time. The quality is better than what it was three years ago.”]

The IIHF article (link below) made a point basically identical to mine:

"What conclusions can be drawn after SKA St. Petersburg's hard fought but well deserved victory? Well, that a very good, skilled and expensive KHL team that plays on home court and has been in training since mid-July is slightly better than a re-building NHL team whose training camp started on September 17."

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...ash=f4e8fe2fd5

Incidentally, the reason for me posting these quotes and linking to the article is simply to support my earlier argument......the NHL is still the best league, but KHL teams can certainly compete with NHL teams and beat them here and there.

SKA won, fair and square and no excuses can (or should) be made.

But what we can (and should) do is place the game in perspective.

While we shouldn't place too much emphasis on the NHL being the best league to the point that it comes off looking like only the NHL is worth talking about, we likewise should not place too much emphasis on an exhibition game between a KHL team playing on home ice, well into its regular season, that has been on ice since July, and an NHL team that rested its best players for nearly half a game, and that has only been skating together since mid September, and hasn't started its regular season yet, and all of a sudden conclude that the KHL is now the equal of (or better than) the NHL.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    Columbus defeated Malmo 4-1.

Boston clubbed Liberec of the Czech Extraliga 7-1.
    I'm all for this games between leagues and continents.

When I see something lopsided like Boston-Liberec or a second league team like Malmo, I would open these events up to a team like the AHL Hershey Bears. I'm not sure how it would be accepted, but there is enough history to consider that iMHO.

Banned
    For me, yesterday game and the actions on the ice wasnt about the KHL-NHL basis, it was a more about American club versus Russian club( it is all about history of cold war...)....it is very simply...you will se that tomorows game between Riga and Phoenix will be normal and peacefull match...

I'd LOVE to see Hershey play some international games.......they're a very historic club (dating back to 1938), and they've been the class of the AHL for the past several years (they've been the top affiliate of the Washington Capitals for several years now, although they remain independently owned and operated).

I don't know how strong they'll be this season, with several of their players from the past few years graduating to Washington or moving on to European leagues, but they are usually a very strong AHL team, and do have a lot of historic value.

Hershey has beaten NHL teams several times in exhibition play over the decades.

Another historic AHL team that would be a good candidate would be the Rochester Americans.....the franchise once played in the Spengler Cup, remaining to date the only AHL club to do so. They finished in third place out of five teams competing that year.

IHF Member
    As for Carolina-SKA, the IIHF's website confirms that SKA treated this game as much more than an exhibition game - it was treated as being for the "pride of Russian hockey and the KHL". Medvedev himself visited SKA's practice the day of the game and stated how important it was. Meanwhile, Carolina clearly did not treat it that way.

Here are some quotes (reprinted for educational use):

[For SKA’s Swede Tony Martensson this was a different exhibition game. “You knew already at the morning skate that this would not be a just another game. Our president Alexander Medvedev held a speech when he interrupted the practice and he told us that Russian hockey has waited twenty years for this game. And you also sensed it in the locker room before the game. I don’t think that people outside Russia really realize how much this game meant to the country, the club and the league,” said the former NHLer, who also played for KHL club Ak Bars Kazan three years ago. “I don’t believe that you can judge the two leagues by this game alone, it’s simply not fair. But this on the other hand shows that the best KHL teams can compete with NHL clubs. And this league is improving all the time. The quality is better than what it was three years ago.”]

The IIHF article (link below) made a point basically identical to mine:

"What conclusions can be drawn after SKA St. Petersburg's hard fought but well deserved victory? Well, that a very good, skilled and expensive KHL team that plays on home court and has been in training since mid-July is slightly better than a re-building NHL team whose training camp started on September 17."

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...ash=f4e8fe2fd5
    Well, it was more than an exhibition game. It was the KHL-NHL challenge and the first NHL game on Russian soil since the fall of the Soviet Union.

Carolina not taking it seriously enough shouldn't take anything away from SKA's victory. It's their own fault if they don't take it seriously and the score will obviously reflect such an outlook.

I'll never understand the "one team wasn't taking it seriously" stuff when it comes to sports. Doesn't matter if a team was taking it seriously or not. It was a game. I'm sure Manchester United didn't take their game against the Kansas City Wizards seriously, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a huge upset that Wizards fans had every right to celebrate.

I agree with whoever else said the KHL shouldn't play any more games against the NHL until the NHL teams and their fans can grow some class and admit defeat instead of making endless excuses.

I expected Columbus win over Malmo, but I am little bit suprised with 7:1 Boston win over Liberec. Thought it would be a closer matchup.
    2011/2012. - 50th Anniversary of KHL Medveščak Zagreb !

I think that Carolina did what it did for reasons that it felt were valid, and that it didn't care about the game anywhere near as much as SKA did.

However, that's Carolina's problem, because the bottom line is that they lost the game and SKA won.

Also, if the NHL were to stop playing games against KHL teams because they don't like the fact that SKA was a bit dirty against Carolina, it would be both cowardly on the NHL's part, as well as hypocritical - after all, the Russians didn't stop sending teams to play against NHL teams when the Philadelphia Flyers were brutally dirty against CSKA Moscow in the 1970's........far dirtier than what SKA was the other day against Carolina.

I think Malmo did a great job keeping the score to 4-1 against an NHL team, despite using a lineup consisting of no fewer than ten junior aged players.

I also think the British Elite League Selects (playing under the 'Belfast Giants Selects' name) did a fantastic job keeping the score against Boston to 5-1.

In addition to Hershey, I'd also say the Fort Wayne Komets have the history to deserve an international exhibition game. I'd fly out for a Fort Wayne - Alba Volan game!

But yes, this dirtiness was never one-sided, it's only for media purposes that they naturally ignore anything /their/ team did, and emphasise the dirtiness of the Russians. Of course - this happens almost only when the Russians win; if the NHL team wins, always "they played hard, blabla, good game, but we won". But if the NHL team loses, "dirty... blabla... just exhibition... blabla".

Anyways, here's hoping for a Dinamo win tomorrow!

Marc... thanks for expanding for me.

I had to run off to work and didn't really have the time to think of more than 5 words to put together.
    Those were the best I could do under the circumstances with a Pop Tart in my hand while guzzling the last of my O.J.

5.10. Box scores

Bílí Tygři Liberec (Tipsport Extraliga) - Boston Bruins 1:7 (0:1, 1:2, 0:4)
    0-1 18:37 Horton (Chára, Krejčí)
    0-2 22:14 Bergeron
    1-2 28:11 Podkonický (Nedvěd)
    1-3 30:45 Caron (Bergeron)
    1-4 41:21 Bergeron (Hunwick)
    1-5 46:01 Seguin (Boychuk, Bergeron)
    1-6 47:32 G. Campbell (S. Thornton, Paille)
    1-7 59:20 Wheeler (Bergeron, Chára).
    LIB 6x2, BOS 4x2, Att.: 7500 sold out

Bílí Tygři Liberec: Pinc (41. Vošvrda) - Hunkes, Výtisk, Trončinský, Derner, Moravec, Čakajík, Rýgl, Holub - Podkonický, Nedvěd, Dušek - M. Hořava, Vak, Kudrna - Klimenta, Plodek, Víšek - Bárta, Urban, Špaček.

Boston Bruins: Thomas - Boychuk, Chára, Seidenberg, Hunwick, McQuaid, Stuart, Ference - Horton, Krejčí, Lucic - Recchi, Bergeron, Wheeler - Ryder, Seguin, Paille - Marchand, S. Thornton, G. Campbell - Caron.

Malmo Redhawks (Allswenskan) - Columbus Blue Jackets 1-4 (0-1, 0-3, 1-0)
    0-1 13:12 Vermette (Brassard) PP
    0-2 20:17 Vermette
    0-3 28:49 Voracek
    0-4 34:57 Commodore (Brassard)
    1-4 42:54 Alvarez PP
    MAL 5x2, CBJ 5x2, SOG: 23-24, Att.: 7500

Malmo: Bjuru (M. svensson) - Damgaard, Blomqvist, Larsson, M. Olsson, Alvarez - Hersley, Weinhager, Suderberg, R. Olsson, Hardt - Sanmark, Nevalainen, Sandstrom, Mattson, Urbas - Lundstrom, Carnestadt, Ohman, V. Svensson, Dyk.

Columbus: Mason (Garon) - Hejda, Stralman, Huselius, Vermette, Nash - Klesla, Commodore, Filatov, Brassard, Voracek - Tyutin, Methot, Moreau, Wilson, Umberger - Clark, Russell, Boll, McKenzie, Dorsette.
    Last edited by Piotrek; 14-04-2011 at 14:53.
    Bo gdyby, ach gdyby wszystko na tym świecie dało się rostrzygać na lodowiskach, w trzech tercjach, kijem i krążkiem, to nie tylko wszak kanadyjskim zawodowcom z NHL, nie tylko wiarołomnym antysocjalistycznym Czechom, ale całemu światu, ba, nawet duszmanom z Pandższiru, Heratu i Kandaharu spuściłaby tęgi a druzgocący wpierdol hokejowa reprezentacja ZSRR, a w jej składzie Ragulin, Fetisow, Kasatonow oraz, bladź, Kapustin, Golikow i Malcew.

Andrzej Sapkowski, "Żmija"

IHF Member

Great Britain

Alessandro -

supposedly dirty Carolina play
    Supposedly? What game were you watching?

Carolina was decidedly dirty...

Well a good game IMO. Dinamo looked a bit tired thou and couldn't keep up the speed in the third. Also some penalties looked a bit sloppy. I'm not necessarily saying that there was no penalty, it's just that they wouldn't have called those in KHL. Just the last call was really out of place, there was no obvious penalty and that just killed all the intrigue that could have been in the last minute and a half. I guess the win didn't come as easy as Coyotes would have thought. Even with this roster, Dinamo put up a fight for them. Trotter looked really good and this was the best game that Darzins showed this season. Mikus can stay on the bench since 3rd line actually looked a lot better without him. Terrible PP thou which didn't seem such a big problem during the regular KHL season. Good to see that Dinamo treated this as a friendly game as well and gave an opportunity to guys that usually don't get as much playing time or doesn't get it at all (it was Andersons debut in Dinamo).
    Taro Tsujimoto, the greatest NHL player ever!

Well, we saw what is the difference between average KHL team and maybe a bit better than average NHL team. I'm glad both golies (Holt and Telquist) had a chance to participate in the game and some reserve guys (Andersons) got to play for the team. It was really like an exhibition game, I think SKA and Hurricanes played more like it was a league game...

SKA - Hurricanes games was much more competative than today's game. No real battles and grinds for a puck, both teams smiling. Total exhibition game. Both teams could have played better. Oliver Ekman looked bright and Jovanovski was awesome as was both our goalies. NHL referees showed how the game should be handled - I can't recall a single blown call. So I don't see why Itry mentioned them at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Oz View Post
    SKA - Hurricanes games was much more competative than today's game. No real battles and grinds for a puck, both teams smiling. Total exhibition game. Both teams could have played better. Oliver Ekman looked bright and Jovanovski was awesome as was both our goalies. NHL referees showed how the game should be handled - I can't recall a single blown call. So I don't see why Itry mentioned them at all.
    Yes there were no wrong calls. What I said was that some of them just would'n have been called in a regular KHL game. I am not the first one to say that KHL has more of this dirty game like hooking or hitting that doesn't get called sometimes. Referees just let it go. I was simply pointing out the difference between the calls being made in this game and the regular season of KHL.
    Taro Tsujimoto, the greatest NHL player ever!

What was the final score? I realized that it was on around 1:40 and then I had to go to class being bummed that I couldn't watch it through
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

Quote Originally Posted by Conesy View Post
    What was the final score? I realized that it was on around 1:40 and then I had to go to class being bummed that I couldn't watch it through
    Dinamo Riga - Phoenix Coyotes 1:3 (0:1, 1:1, 0:1)
    0:1 - 18.55 Taylor Pyatt (Jovanovski, Stepmniak)
    1:1 - 30.20 Mark Hartigan (Trotter, Ņiživijs)
    1:2 - 39.49 Petr Prucha (Vrbata)
    1:3 - 48.24 Lee Stempniak (Pyatt)
    DIN 8x2, PHX 4x2, SOG: 19-42, Att.: 10520

Dinamo: Tellqvist (29:16 Holt) - Andersons, Galvins, Ozolinsh, K. Redlihs, J. Redlihs, Rekis, Stonieks, Cibulskis - Ankipants, Bukarts, Darzins, Dzernis, Karamnov, Karsums, Meija, Nizivijs, M. Redlihs, Sprukts, Trotter, Hartigan.

Phoenix: Bryzgalov (29:16 LaBarbera) - Goncharov, Jovanovski, Yandle, Lepisto, Aucoin, Schlemko, Ekman-Larsson - Upshall, Belanger, Bissonnette, Wolski, Vrbata, Hanzal, Doan, Korpikoski, Pyatt, Prucha, Stempniak, Terris, Fiddler.
    Last edited by Piotrek; 20-01-2011 at 19:11.

It wasn't as physical or as nasty as the SKA-Carolina game, but it had a good, fast pace of play with great skating, stickhandling and passing. Both teams tried to win. And, just as Carolina can't make any excuses about not winning, neither can Dinamo Riga. Plus, the Coyotes outshot them 39-19, whereas the SKA-Hurricanes SOG totals were nearly even.

7 NHL vs. non-NHL games this year.........6 NHL wins.

In five of the games, the non-NHL opponent was limited to a single goal.

SKA won, which I expected. The others all lost, which I expected.

On the other hand -

Adler made San Jose really sweat, which I did not expect, and the British Elite League Selects played Boston much closer than I figured they would. I also think Malmo did a terrific job, given that they played with a team consisting of nearly half juniors.

Quote Originally Posted by itry View Post
    Well a good game IMO.
    Good?
    It was a boring game, I switched off the TV after ~5 min of 2nd period.

Some kind of slow ballet these two teams showed, not hockey.
    Last edited by kedr; 07-10-2010 at 13:04.
    Salavat - green rockets!

Quote Originally Posted by Oz View Post
    NHL referees showed how the game should be handled - I can't recall a single blown call.
    Actually, one of main refs was KHL's Ravodin.

Quote Originally Posted by kedr View Post
    Good?
    It was a boring game, I switched off the TV after ~5 min of 2nd period.

Some kind of slow ballet these two teams showed, not hockey.
    Yep, game lost its competative edge after first break.

IHF Member Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
    Some thoughts and brainstorming from the NHL vs KHL games: http://www.hockeyprimetime.com/news/...t-both-leagues
    My articles at The Hockey Writers

IHF Member Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
    ...and some quotes from the post-game in Riga http://www.mtrmedia.com/hockey/2010/...from-riga.html
    My articles at The Hockey Writers

The Danish Icehockey Federation has announced, that they are working on getting an NHL game to Denmark at the beginning of next season.

The game would take place at the new arena in Herning, Herning Messecenter, and hopefully be between to teams each with a Danish player on the roster. The Arena will have a capacity of 12.500.

Article in Danish :
    http://hockeyzone.dk/nyheder/nhl-kam...i-danmark.aspx

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information