Thread: 2010 World Championship - Preliminary Round thoughts

2010 IHWC 2010 World Championship - Preliminary Round thoughts

Now that the preliminary round is over (and that we are up and running again), please discuss any thoughts you have/had here, especially given the higher than normal number of upsets, the lack of participation of higher end talent given the Olympic year etc...

I think that the upsets we've seen so far is indicative of the strides made by the middle-rank teams, especially Denmark and Switzerland, the last couple of years.

With many players turning down the national teams, especially with Czech Republic and Sweden, the difference to the other teams is suddenly not so great.

Most amazing so far: Switzerland wins their preliminary round group and Denmark routs Slovakia 6-0 in the qualifying round...
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

IHF Staff
    Denmark plays a fantastic tournament but the most impressive run is that of the Swiss. They play incredibly strong. Especially their efforts in skating without the puck is excellent, they are all over the place.
    But still I think that this compared to previous years huge amount of upsets is a kind of outlier that is more based on a certain slump on the big teams' behalf rather than on a substantial leap the middle ranked teams might have made. The Swiss were disappointing last year, the Danes played against relegation, the Germans who are doing very well right now were relegated on the ice...sports has many fluctuating factors of influence and a swallow doesn't make the summer. If things go on like this in the future I'm convinced right now it's just a turbulent tournament after years with a clean seperation of big and small teams.

I don't necessarily think that the gap has closed between the Big 7 and the next group of countries, but I believe that this tournament shows that when the best 15-20 players from the top nations do not show up, and the best from middle rank countries do, the difference is not that large anymore.
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennison View Post
    I think that the upsets we've seen so far is indicative of the strides made by the middle-rank teams, especially Denmark and Switzerland, the last couple of years.

With many players turning down the national teams, especially with Czech Republic and Sweden, the difference to the other teams is suddenly not so great.

Most amazing so far: Switzerland wins their preliminary round group and Denmark routs Slovakia 6-0 in the qualifying round...
    Switzerland: As a person who got to see Switzerland playing numerous times over the past few years (IMO we play each other every int break), I believe their succes here has a lot to do with their new coach. They play very physical and offensive hockey now. Maybe it also has their opponents surprised, who weren´t used to such hockey from Switlerand.

Although not preliminary round, the Denmark-Slovakia game:
    Denmark played just unreal the first 15 minutes. However I believe that if there were more games played between these two teams with these same rosters I think that the majority of them would be much closer (Not saying that Denmark wouldn´t have won them however). What happened in the game on Friday happens in like 1 game out of 100. How often do you find yourself down by 3 goals in 5 minutes with followong conditions: First SOG goes in, 6 seconds before the end of a 5 on 3 PK the second shot goes in, and on the 5 on 4 the 3rd SOG goes in.... That would kill even much more experienced players than most of our players at the WHC are. I personally liked that we at least kept trying to get at least that one goal for the next 40 minutes, hit the post twice, had a breakaway, had one player infront of an empty Danish net, but our incapability to get at least that one goal on that day was best described by the Czech TV guys: "No, no, no and no."

And I heard that the current Danish run is getting a lot of attention in the Danish media, so if we at least helped make the interest for hockey in Denmark better, I don´t mind that loss.

Btw there isalot of hockey jokes around here, a facebook group "Chuck Norrid played in Danish jersey for 15 minutes" had like 30 000 members in a few hours. Though I personally prefer a different joke: "Ovechkin and Malkin meet on a holiday. Ovechkin: Halák? Malkin:Da!
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

See you in 2019...perhaps...

Banned
    Finally the site is working after 30 days

Quote Originally Posted by jaaa View Post
    Switzerland: As a person who got to see Switzerland playing numerous times over the past few years (IMO we play each other every int break), I believe their succes here has a lot to do with their new coach.
    My thoughts exactly. Change of coaching staff always makes a positive effect at least for a while. Can they keep it going, we will have to wait for it as tournament really starts in quarterfinals. Upsets in early stages are nothing new.

Suffering what the Slovaks did on the first three goals against would crush just about any team on the planet... I don't say that to take anything away from the Danes! Their performance so far has been brilliant, I think.

The middle-rank nations have made great progress IMO... there were times in the past that Denmark would have been properly beaten even by a Canadian Spengler Cup team...

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennison View Post
    I don't necessarily think that the gap has closed between the Big 7 and the next group of countries, but I believe that this tournament shows that when the best 15-20 players from the top nations do not show up, and the best from middle rank countries do, the difference is not that large anymore.
    Switzerland is also missing many players, from the olympic squad only 8 are present.
    Especially in the defence, players like Streit, Sbisa, Blindenbacher, Forster, Beat Gerber, Furrer, Von Gunten have to be replaced.

I love this picture I found...

This one is pretty good as well:

Yeah, I like that one, too.

This one could have been done better, but still pretty funny:

lol Chuck Norris.

FB group: "It´s said that Chuk Norris played in a a Danish jersey the first 15 minutes"

Had around 50 000 members in like 5 hours on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by jaaa View Post
    FB group: "It´s said that Chuk Norris played in a a Danish jersey the first 15 minutes"

Had around 50 000 members in like 5 hours on Friday.
    Funny
    Bo gdyby, ach gdyby wszystko na tym świecie dało się rostrzygać na lodowiskach, w trzech tercjach, kijem i krążkiem, to nie tylko wszak kanadyjskim zawodowcom z NHL, nie tylko wiarołomnym antysocjalistycznym Czechom, ale całemu światu, ba, nawet duszmanom z Pandższiru, Heratu i Kandaharu spuściłaby tęgi a druzgocący wpierdol hokejowa reprezentacja ZSRR, a w jej składzie Ragulin, Fetisow, Kasatonow oraz, bladź, Kapustin, Golikow i Malcew.

Andrzej Sapkowski, "Żmija"

For me, it has to be the US going to the relegation round. You'd figure that we'd at least be able to do better than that. Though really, to be fair we did come off the silver medal at the Oympics, so the standards are a lot higher than normal.
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

wowowo its back... i was moments away from taking IHF off my bookmarks!

thoughts on prelims well.. hopefully switzerland will make the semifinal, as they deserve it. also canada has shown they are not interested in sending a dedicated team to the WC, the swiss team spent FIVE weeks training together, the canadians got two weeks off after the regular season of NHL, no wounder they are not going to the finals.

czech republic also needs to change attitudes and programs.

the winner of the world championship does not get personal money... They win money for their home hockey organizations and programs (around €2.100.000)!! I can;t believe these professionals who are perfetly healthy to play don't , like jagr said. These people don't care about hockey developpement in their home countries, and have big egos and spit in the face of hockey.

If you are millionaire from being a hockey player and you can;t even play a three week tourney with great fans, media coverage, and national pride, to give back to your home hockey development, well then you shouldnt call yourself a real hockey player, or a human being.
    ***СЛАЯ***

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SLAJA View Post
    wowowo its back... i was moments away from taking IHF off my bookmarks!

thoughts on prelims well.. hopefully switzerland will make the semifinal, as they deserve it. also canada has shown they are not interested in sending a dedicated team to the WC, the swiss team spent FIVE weeks training together, the canadians got two weeks off after the regular season of NHL, no wounder they are not going to the finals.

czech republic also needs to change attitudes and programs.

the winner of the world championship does not get personal money... They win money for their home hockey organizations and programs (around €2.100.000)!! I can;t believe these professionals who are perfetly healthy to play don't , like jagr said. These people don't care about hockey developpement in their home countries, and have big egos and spit in the face of hockey.

If you are millionaire from being a hockey player and you can;t even play a three week tourney with great fans, media coverage, and national pride, to give back to your home hockey development, well then you shouldnt call yourself a real hockey player, or a human being.
    this Team Canada isnt weak one at all and should play better than they did so far ! they never had a time to prepare fully but that never had affect to theyr game so its not the problem i think. WC is important tournament in many countrys but saying its very important in terms of development ?? wouldnt say that. its more like national pride nothing else. IMHO Olympic games ruined this year WC if i may say that.

I'd say the Olympics made this year's IHWC that much better. Many top countries missing their Olympic players has given a chance to weaker nations to shine, like Denmark did early, Norway, Germany and Switzerland (who, arguably, are missing players too).

Thread Information