Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: 2011 IIHF World Championship in Slovakia- News/discussion

Finland and Sweden aren't exactly far apart - there's no reason to deviate from the rankings in determining the groups.

Finland and Sweden are co-hosting next year, they will want each playing in their respective country. They're switching to the 2 groups of 8 -- one group will be in each country.

"3. Czech Republic - "Russia, you just go Cervenka-ed.""

Wow, they really use this every year, don't they?
    Taro Tsujimoto, the greatest NHL player ever!

Question for enigma member. Is it decided who will be new German coach ?

Hockey Canada and USA Hockey seek solutions

From the Dreger Report

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/dregerreport/
    Hockey Canada has to have its form for the 2014 Sochi Games submitted by January. So between now and then, Team Canada organizers will consider adding the Worlds to the agreement players sign. That would mean those who are hoping for a spot on the Canadian Olympic team may also have to play in the World Championship next year.
    I think this is one solution that could work. If your NHL team is not in the playoffs, and you signed on to partake in the Olympics, you have to play for Team Canada in the World Championships. Lets face it, the NHL is never going to alter its schedule to accommodate the IIHF Championships.

Another option, forget NHL players. Do it like the Spengler Cup and use players that are playing overseas. Makes sense since their schedules are already adapted to the IIHF World Championship and the team would have enough time to practice and play exhibition games.

I like the idea but one major flaw I can see is, the players who sign the agreement and go over to the World Championships might only be there because they have to be there and not give a 100%. So now you have players who just go through the motions, but then again, they could set themselves up to lose their spot in the Olympics.

I could never understand why Hockey Canada and USA Hockey didnt look more into bringing European based players, its not like they are any worse then some of the plugs that make the current American and Canadian rosters. Add in the fact they will give it their all since they most likely will never make the Olympic rosters and they already have a great handle on the International ice.
    Last edited by Starkovs; 16-05-2011 at 21:05.

Quote Originally Posted by DHKStarkovs View Post
    I could never understand why Hockey Canada and USA Hockey didnt look more into bringing European based players, its not like they are any worse then some of the plugs that make the current American and Canadian rosters. Add in the fact they will give it their all since they most likely will never make the Olympic rosters and they already have a great handle on the International ice.
    I agree because, like you say, there will be players who are unlikely to play in the Olympics but also they don't look at the World Championships as a "consolation prize" after being knocked out of the playoffs. I can remember those years Stacy Roest was playing for Canada in the early 2000's and doing a mighty good job of it.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

In the new world rankings I found something a little bit odd.

Ireland is listed as having 785 points. In the pre-championship ranking they had 445 points, meaning that they received 340 points, corresponding to a 40th place (last place in Div II).

However since PRK withdrew there were only 11 teams competing in Div II. I have not found any team receiving 360 points, for 39th place. Bulgaria received 380 for 38th.

PRK with five forfeited games were 0pts and -25, while Ireland was 0 pts with a -64 goal difference. This could be the reason then, that PRK was 39th and Ireland 40th and then PRK disqualified?
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

Sounds about right.
    I'll email the IIHF tonight when I have time to confirm that.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCanuck View Post
    Another option, forget NHL players. Do it like the Spengler Cup and use players that are playing overseas. Makes sense since their schedules are already adapted to the IIHF World Championship and the team would have enough time to practice and play exhibition games.
    I whole-heartedly disagree, for a couple of reasons.

1) This tournament, with guys like Rick Nash, Dion Phaneuf, and Brent Burns coming, is still hardly in the Canadian hockey consciousness at all. To eliminate NHLers would to eliminate the small interest that there already is.
    2) No offense to the guys playing overseas...I'm sure they have some talent...but there's a reason they're overseas and not in the NHL (and don't tell me they want to play overseas over the NHL, because no Canadian or American hockey player would chose that over the NHL).
    3) "its not like they are any worse then some of the plugs that make the current American and Canadian rosters." Other people can bash the American roster all they want, but the worst player on Team Canada this year (probably Colaiacovo...though Duchene struggled mightily he's a great player) is still a solid NHLer and I would take any of them over J.P. Vigier or Serge Aubin or Domenic Pittis...based on pure ability. I know it's not true that European countries need a team stacked with NHLers to win the WC, but the North American countries do.

IHF Member
    To attract more NHL talent, this tournament needs to be kept short. Unfortunately, in my opinion, they've gone the opposite direction and added a game next year. This will result in even less NHL player participation.
    I assume more games translates to more IIHF revenue and there is the incentive. However as the talent pool gets weaker at some point attendance will drop.
    I understand the value of participation of lower ranked countries and the importance for their programs and growing the sport -- but it's a trade-off. If this tournament is really a "World Championship" - and used to establish rankings, then the quality of players needs to kept as high as possible. I live in a hockey market in the northern US. I should have scanned and posted the coverage the gold medal game received. It consisted of 2 lines on page 5 of the sports section. The point being -- there is little exposure in North America and attracting quality players gets harder every year. Hence keeping this great tournament short should be a priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wagon View Post
    To attract more NHL talent, this tournament needs to be kept short. Unfortunately, in my opinion, they've gone the opposite direction and added a game next year. This will result in even less NHL player participation.
    I assume more games translates to more IIHF revenue and there is the incentive. However as the talent pool gets weaker at some point attendance will drop.
    I understand the value of participation of lower ranked countries and the importance for their programs and growing the sport -- but it's a trade-off. If this tournament is really a "World Championship" - and used to establish rankings, then the quality of players needs to kept as high as possible. I live in a hockey market in the northern US. I should have scanned and posted the coverage the gold medal game received. It consisted of 2 lines on page 5 of the sports section. The point being -- there is little exposure in North America and attracting quality players gets harder every year. Hence keeping this great tournament short should be a priority.
    In short, I disagree with everything you said.

As much as IIHF would love to earn some money from NA, it manages to profit without them quite comfortably. The added 8 extra games will mean more profit anyway despite the fact that few more potential NHL-ers wouldn't join team Canada or USA. The fact that travelling European fans can look forward 7 guaranteed round robin games in known location is a huge boost. They can plan their time in host nation without wondering where would next set of games is taking place. It's especially important to borderline nations like Latvia.

IHF Member
    I'm not complaining about the round -robin format ...Geesh last year I booked all my tickets assuming Canada would beat Switzerland ..... ended up with all the wrong matches. What I'm saying is a longer tournament means less NHL guys - less NHL guys mean the US and Canada will sink in the IIHF rankings. By Sochi the US could easily be ranked 9th ....that will mess up the groups.

IHF Member
    I still cant get over how amazing that goal was

"It's not the Stanley Cup so we don't care about it and we'll use 'crap' players so when Switzerland and co. beat us we have an excuse!"

Same old same old! :D
    Dinamo Riga | Manchester Phoenix | Boston Bruins | Lokomotiv 7th September 2011

Gazz, you can't honestly believe that.......the bottom line is that while all of the top nations are affected somewhat due to the NHL playoffs, Canada - and especially the USA - suffer the most.

It is what it is, and both federations have to deal with it.

But to suggest they send weak (for them) rosters on purpose is a bit ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    Gazz, you can't honestly believe that.......the bottom line is that while all of the top nations are affected somewhat due to the NHL playoffs, Canada - and especially the USA - suffer the most.

It is what it is, and both federations have to deal with it.

But to suggest they send weak (for them) rosters on purpose is a bit ridiculous.
    No course I dont believe they'd send a weak team on purpose but, its still an easy excuse when an upset happens!
    Dinamo Riga | Manchester Phoenix | Boston Bruins | Lokomotiv 7th September 2011

IHF Member
    Hockey USA and Canada send weaker teams because our NHLers care more about the Stanley Cup which dates back to 1892 as the holy grail of North American hockey. I really wish it were different but that's how it is and unfortunately many Americans and Canadians don't care at all about it.

Ether viewing it as a joke tournament meant for players who failed to win the Stanley Cup or a tournament that lacks our best players and does not deserve our respect.

I also think it's because of the Canada Cup and Olympics being called legitimate best on best world championship caliber tournaments in a very direct bias towards the NHL and a compete hatred of IIHF and European hockey in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyfan 88 View Post
    Hockey USA and Canada send weaker teams because our NHLers care more about the Stanley Cup which dates back to 1892 as the holy grail of North American hockey. I really wish it were different but that's how it is and unfortunately many Americans and Canadians don't care at all about it.

Ether viewing it as a joke tournament meant for players who failed to win the Stanley Cup or a tournament that lacks our best players and does not deserve our respect.

I also think it's because of the Canada Cup and Olympics being called legitimate best on best world championship caliber tournaments in a very direct bias towards the NHL and a compete hatred of IIHF and European hockey in general.
    Well no, it's because there's 16 teams in the playoffs, you obviously have less choice of who you can pick. And after 80 plus games in the season, some guys are tired, injured, both, want to spend precious family time, etc.-so you can't blame them if they don't want to play in the WCs. As for the Olympics, everybody knows it's the big hockey event, so the incentive of playing for your country in an event that happens every 4 years is something that will/does encourage widespread participation in it.
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

IHF Member

What in hell are you babbling about?
    Can you be more absurd?

heatleysucks, don't you know that fact = hatred? lol

HF88, they're called best-on-best because they are. Teams have the ability to send a full strength roster barring any injuries. There's nothing like the NHL playoffs, post-season corrective surgeries, or injuries that were played on but now need to be healed. All of which have the potential to affect every elite nation. There's no hatred or bias. It can involve a Latvian or Austrian playing in the playoffs just as easily as an American.

IHF Member
    Thanks for the correction there Geoff . the next World Championships are going to be in Finland and Sweden. Are the two groups of eight going to be hosted in each nation and will there be cross over playoffs? What do you think about the new format for the tournament

Thanks for the correction there Geoff . the next World Championships are going to be in Finland and Sweden. Are the two groups of eight going to be hosted in each nation and will there be cross over playoffs? What do you think about the new format for the tournament
    Here are the groups for next year:
    Helsinki:
    Finland
    Canada
    US
    Switzerland
    Slovakia
    Belarus
    France
    Kazakhstan

Stockholm:
    Sweden
    Russia
    Czech Republic
    Germany
    Latvia
    Norway
    Denmark
    Italy

And to quote the IIHF website: "The quarter-finals will be played within the respective groups as opposed to the cross-over system.

Two quarter-finals will be played in Helsinki and two in Stockholm (May 17). Both semi-finals (May 19), Bronze medal and Gold medal games (May 20) will be played in Helsinki."
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread Information