Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
Results 501 to 524 of 524

Thread: 2011 IIHF World Championship in Slovakia- News/discussion

  1. #501
    IHF Staff Marc Brunengraber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Islip, New York
    Posts
    9,944
    Finland and Sweden aren't exactly far apart - there's no reason to deviate from the rankings in determining the groups.

  2. #502
    IHF Member fan75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    Posts
    271
    Finland and Sweden are co-hosting next year, they will want each playing in their respective country. They're switching to the 2 groups of 8 -- one group will be in each country.

  3. #503
    IHF Member itry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Seoul
    Posts
    1,144
    "3. Czech Republic - "Russia, you just go Cervenka-ed.""

    Wow, they really use this every year, don't they?
    Taro Tsujimoto, the greatest NHL player ever!

  4. #504
    IHF Member Spitfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    2,068
    Question for enigma member. Is it decided who will be new German coach ?

  5. #505
    IHF Member BillyCanuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    On the bench
    Posts
    759

    Hockey Canada and USA Hockey seek solutions

    From the Dreger Report

    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/dregerreport/
    Hockey Canada has to have its form for the 2014 Sochi Games submitted by January. So between now and then, Team Canada organizers will consider adding the Worlds to the agreement players sign. That would mean those who are hoping for a spot on the Canadian Olympic team may also have to play in the World Championship next year.
    I think this is one solution that could work. If your NHL team is not in the playoffs, and you signed on to partake in the Olympics, you have to play for Team Canada in the World Championships. Lets face it, the NHL is never going to alter its schedule to accommodate the IIHF Championships.

    Another option, forget NHL players. Do it like the Spengler Cup and use players that are playing overseas. Makes sense since their schedules are already adapted to the IIHF World Championship and the team would have enough time to practice and play exhibition games.

  6. #506
    IHF Staff Starkovs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Jūrmala, Latvia
    Posts
    21,272
    I like the idea but one major flaw I can see is, the players who sign the agreement and go over to the World Championships might only be there because they have to be there and not give a 100%. So now you have players who just go through the motions, but then again, they could set themselves up to lose their spot in the Olympics.

    I could never understand why Hockey Canada and USA Hockey didnt look more into bringing European based players, its not like they are any worse then some of the plugs that make the current American and Canadian rosters. Add in the fact they will give it their all since they most likely will never make the Olympic rosters and they already have a great handle on the International ice.
    Last edited by Starkovs; 16-05-2011 at 21:05.

  7. #507
    IHF Staff Trim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Xingping, Shaanxi Province, China
    Posts
    3,110
    Quote Originally Posted by DHKStarkovs View Post
    I could never understand why Hockey Canada and USA Hockey didnt look more into bringing European based players, its not like they are any worse then some of the plugs that make the current American and Canadian rosters. Add in the fact they will give it their all since they most likely will never make the Olympic rosters and they already have a great handle on the International ice.
    I agree because, like you say, there will be players who are unlikely to play in the Olympics but also they don't look at the World Championships as a "consolation prize" after being knocked out of the playoffs. I can remember those years Stacy Roest was playing for Canada in the early 2000's and doing a mighty good job of it.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

    I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

  8. #508
    IHF Member Bennison's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Hagestad, Sweden
    Posts
    3,183
    In the new world rankings I found something a little bit odd.

    Ireland is listed as having 785 points. In the pre-championship ranking they had 445 points, meaning that they received 340 points, corresponding to a 40th place (last place in Div II).

    However since PRK withdrew there were only 11 teams competing in Div II. I have not found any team receiving 360 points, for 39th place. Bulgaria received 380 for 38th.

    PRK with five forfeited games were 0pts and -25, while Ireland was 0 pts with a -64 goal difference. This could be the reason then, that PRK was 39th and Ireland 40th and then PRK disqualified?
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

  9. #509
    IHF Staff Steigs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    8,141
    Sounds about right.
    I'll email the IIHF tonight when I have time to confirm that.

  10. #510
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Thornhill, Ontario
    Posts
    912
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCanuck View Post
    Another option, forget NHL players. Do it like the Spengler Cup and use players that are playing overseas. Makes sense since their schedules are already adapted to the IIHF World Championship and the team would have enough time to practice and play exhibition games.
    I whole-heartedly disagree, for a couple of reasons.

    1) This tournament, with guys like Rick Nash, Dion Phaneuf, and Brent Burns coming, is still hardly in the Canadian hockey consciousness at all. To eliminate NHLers would to eliminate the small interest that there already is.
    2) No offense to the guys playing overseas...I'm sure they have some talent...but there's a reason they're overseas and not in the NHL (and don't tell me they want to play overseas over the NHL, because no Canadian or American hockey player would chose that over the NHL).
    3) "its not like they are any worse then some of the plugs that make the current American and Canadian rosters." Other people can bash the American roster all they want, but the worst player on Team Canada this year (probably Colaiacovo...though Duchene struggled mightily he's a great player) is still a solid NHLer and I would take any of them over J.P. Vigier or Serge Aubin or Domenic Pittis...based on pure ability. I know it's not true that European countries need a team stacked with NHLers to win the WC, but the North American countries do.

  11. #511
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    412
    To attract more NHL talent, this tournament needs to be kept short. Unfortunately, in my opinion, they've gone the opposite direction and added a game next year. This will result in even less NHL player participation.
    I assume more games translates to more IIHF revenue and there is the incentive. However as the talent pool gets weaker at some point attendance will drop.
    I understand the value of participation of lower ranked countries and the importance for their programs and growing the sport -- but it's a trade-off. If this tournament is really a "World Championship" - and used to establish rankings, then the quality of players needs to kept as high as possible. I live in a hockey market in the northern US. I should have scanned and posted the coverage the gold medal game received. It consisted of 2 lines on page 5 of the sports section. The point being -- there is little exposure in North America and attracting quality players gets harder every year. Hence keeping this great tournament short should be a priority.

  12. #512
    IHF Member Oz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ragaciems, Latvia
    Posts
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wagon View Post
    To attract more NHL talent, this tournament needs to be kept short. Unfortunately, in my opinion, they've gone the opposite direction and added a game next year. This will result in even less NHL player participation.
    I assume more games translates to more IIHF revenue and there is the incentive. However as the talent pool gets weaker at some point attendance will drop.
    I understand the value of participation of lower ranked countries and the importance for their programs and growing the sport -- but it's a trade-off. If this tournament is really a "World Championship" - and used to establish rankings, then the quality of players needs to kept as high as possible. I live in a hockey market in the northern US. I should have scanned and posted the coverage the gold medal game received. It consisted of 2 lines on page 5 of the sports section. The point being -- there is little exposure in North America and attracting quality players gets harder every year. Hence keeping this great tournament short should be a priority.
    In short, I disagree with everything you said.

    As much as IIHF would love to earn some money from NA, it manages to profit without them quite comfortably. The added 8 extra games will mean more profit anyway despite the fact that few more potential NHL-ers wouldn't join team Canada or USA. The fact that travelling European fans can look forward 7 guaranteed round robin games in known location is a huge boost. They can plan their time in host nation without wondering where would next set of games is taking place. It's especially important to borderline nations like Latvia.

  13. #513
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    412
    I'm not complaining about the round -robin format ...Geesh last year I booked all my tickets assuming Canada would beat Switzerland ..... ended up with all the wrong matches. What I'm saying is a longer tournament means less NHL guys - less NHL guys mean the US and Canada will sink in the IIHF rankings. By Sochi the US could easily be ranked 9th ....that will mess up the groups.

  14. #514

  15. #515
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Thornhill, Ontario
    Posts
    912
    I still cant get over how amazing that goal was

  16. #516
    IHF Member Gazzw87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    482
    "It's not the Stanley Cup so we don't care about it and we'll use 'crap' players so when Switzerland and co. beat us we have an excuse!"

    Same old same old! :D
    Dinamo Riga | Manchester Phoenix | Boston Bruins | Lokomotiv 7th September 2011

  17. #517
    IHF Staff Marc Brunengraber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Islip, New York
    Posts
    9,944
    Gazz, you can't honestly believe that.......the bottom line is that while all of the top nations are affected somewhat due to the NHL playoffs, Canada - and especially the USA - suffer the most.

    It is what it is, and both federations have to deal with it.

    But to suggest they send weak (for them) rosters on purpose is a bit ridiculous.

  18. #518
    IHF Member Gazzw87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    482
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    Gazz, you can't honestly believe that.......the bottom line is that while all of the top nations are affected somewhat due to the NHL playoffs, Canada - and especially the USA - suffer the most.

    It is what it is, and both federations have to deal with it.

    But to suggest they send weak (for them) rosters on purpose is a bit ridiculous.
    No course I dont believe they'd send a weak team on purpose but, its still an easy excuse when an upset happens!
    Dinamo Riga | Manchester Phoenix | Boston Bruins | Lokomotiv 7th September 2011

  19. #519
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Posts
    308
    Hockey USA and Canada send weaker teams because our NHLers care more about the Stanley Cup which dates back to 1892 as the holy grail of North American hockey. I really wish it were different but that's how it is and unfortunately many Americans and Canadians don't care at all about it.

    Ether viewing it as a joke tournament meant for players who failed to win the Stanley Cup or a tournament that lacks our best players and does not deserve our respect.

    I also think it's because of the Canada Cup and Olympics being called legitimate best on best world championship caliber tournaments in a very direct bias towards the NHL and a compete hatred of IIHF and European hockey in general.

  20. #520
    IHF Member Conesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Currently Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    2,329
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyfan 88 View Post
    Hockey USA and Canada send weaker teams because our NHLers care more about the Stanley Cup which dates back to 1892 as the holy grail of North American hockey. I really wish it were different but that's how it is and unfortunately many Americans and Canadians don't care at all about it.

    Ether viewing it as a joke tournament meant for players who failed to win the Stanley Cup or a tournament that lacks our best players and does not deserve our respect.

    I also think it's because of the Canada Cup and Olympics being called legitimate best on best world championship caliber tournaments in a very direct bias towards the NHL and a compete hatred of IIHF and European hockey in general.
    Well no, it's because there's 16 teams in the playoffs, you obviously have less choice of who you can pick. And after 80 plus games in the season, some guys are tired, injured, both, want to spend precious family time, etc.-so you can't blame them if they don't want to play in the WCs. As for the Olympics, everybody knows it's the big hockey event, so the incentive of playing for your country in an event that happens every 4 years is something that will/does encourage widespread participation in it.
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

  21. #521
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyfan 88 View Post

    I also think it's because of the Canada Cup and Olympics being called legitimate best on best world championship caliber tournaments in a very direct bias towards the NHL and a compete hatred of IIHF and European hockey in general.
    What in hell are you babbling about?
    Can you be more absurd?

  22. #522
    IHF Member Geoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    867
    heatleysucks, don't you know that fact = hatred? lol

    HF88, they're called best-on-best because they are. Teams have the ability to send a full strength roster barring any injuries. There's nothing like the NHL playoffs, post-season corrective surgeries, or injuries that were played on but now need to be healed. All of which have the potential to affect every elite nation. There's no hatred or bias. It can involve a Latvian or Austrian playing in the playoffs just as easily as an American.

  23. #523
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Posts
    308
    Thanks for the correction there Geoff . the next World Championships are going to be in Finland and Sweden. Are the two groups of eight going to be hosted in each nation and will there be cross over playoffs? What do you think about the new format for the tournament

  24. #524
    IHF Member Conesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Currently Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    2,329
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyfan 88 View Post
    Thanks for the correction there Geoff . the next World Championships are going to be in Finland and Sweden. Are the two groups of eight going to be hosted in each nation and will there be cross over playoffs? What do you think about the new format for the tournament
    Here are the groups for next year:
    Helsinki:
    Finland
    Canada
    US
    Switzerland
    Slovakia
    Belarus
    France
    Kazakhstan

    Stockholm:
    Sweden
    Russia
    Czech Republic
    Germany
    Latvia
    Norway
    Denmark
    Italy

    And to quote the IIHF website: "The quarter-finals will be played within the respective groups as opposed to the cross-over system.

    Two quarter-finals will be played in Helsinki and two in Stockholm (May 17). Both semi-finals (May 19), Bronze medal and Gold medal games (May 20) will be played in Helsinki."
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •