Thread: Riga 2000???

Riga 2000???

I heard a rumor that Riga 2000 will be coming back to play in the latvia league. Can anyone confirm or Crush this rumor?

I also heard that PSk Narva (Estonia) is trying to join the latvian league. I was told this by a player from the Estonia league. confirm or Crush this rumor?

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DANGER-MAN View Post
    I heard a rumor that Riga 2000 will be coming back to play in the latvia league. Can anyone confirm or Crush this rumor?

I also heard that PSk Narva (Estonia) is trying to join the latvian league. I was told this by a player from the Estonia league. confirm or Crush this rumor?
    I found this on the Latvian Federation's page: http://www.lhf.lv/23042010-lhf_127304292727633
    Cheers, Franco

There hasn't been a word about that, but I wouldn't be too surprised to see Narva PSK in the Latvian league. Definitely, less surprised than in the possible return of HK Riga 2000.

Anyway, following the Franco's posted link, it seems that Zemgale might return to the league - they played some three seasons. Might be 2003-05. Not sure.

But, still, I do hope that most of hockey player schools, once their oldest groups of players will reach late junior age, will develop a team for the Latvian league. Because in the U16/U14 leagues there are teams from Jelgava, Ventspils, Jurmala, Tukums, Valmiera, but none of those cities are represented in the Latvian league.

According to an article there wont be any Lithuanian or Estonian teams in the leagues next year due to financial aspects. The teams that are going to participate are SK „Liepājas Metalurgs”, DHK „Latgale”, HS „Rīga/Prizma”, HK „Prizma/Pārdaugava”, HK „Ogre” and HK „Jelgava”. But as far as I understand this might not be all. The league will put accent on U-18 and U-20 national team needs (my guess is they are going include a lot of young guys into the rosters).

http://www.lhf.lv/26052010-lhf_un_ho...la_galda_par_j

I just wonder what is Energija going to do now...

Quote Originally Posted by itry View Post
    According to an article there wont be any Lithuanian or Estonian teams in the leagues next year due to financial aspects. The teams that are going to participate are SK „Liepājas Metalurgs”, DHK „Latgale”, HS „Rīga/Prizma”, HK „Prizma/Pārdaugava”, HK „Ogre” and HK „Jelgava”. But as far as I understand this might not be all. The league will put accent on U-18 and U-20 national team needs (my guess is they are going include a lot of young guys into the rosters).

http://www.lhf.lv/26052010-lhf_un_ho...la_galda_par_j

I just wonder what is Energija going to do now...
    no more ozolnieki also...

Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    no more ozolnieki also...
    This might not be the final version so we don't know about the Ozolnieki. I dunno how reliable is information gotten from comments in sports portals but one said that they are still taking time but thinking of joining Anyways since this is Latvian league, nothing will be known until it starts.

Ozolnieki/Monarhs is an amateur team filled with veterans and a couple of younger players, which just want to play in the Latvian league. As far as I know, they received some money for points they managed to gain, but that's all - they didn't receive wage.

I believe, that's true also about DHK Latgale and the older players of HK Ogre, all other Latvian league teams are filled with players born in 1991/1992.

You may ask, who is playing in the Latvian U18 league - majority of them are around the age of 15. I don't want to imagine what will happen in a few years, because Latvian U16/U14 leagues have more than 10 teams. If at least 1/3 of them are willing(and able) to continue playing professionally, there simply won't be any place for them to go.

Quote Originally Posted by GX View Post
    Ozolnieki/Monarhs is an amateur team filled with veterans and a couple of younger players, which just want to play in the Latvian league. As far as I know, they received some money for points they managed to gain, but that's all - they didn't receive wage.

I believe, that's true also about DHK Latgale and the older players of HK Ogre, all other Latvian league teams are filled with players born in 1991/1992.

You may ask, who is playing in the Latvian U18 league - majority of them are around the age of 15. I don't want to imagine what will happen in a few years, because Latvian U16/U14 leagues have more than 10 teams. If at least 1/3 of them are willing(and able) to continue playing professionally, there simply won't be any place for them to go.
    Same problem also in Italy, when a player comes out frfom junior level, he has few chances to play in Serie A2 (much lesser to play in Serie A) and the only other alternative is amateurish, low level Serie C, a kind of beer league.

BTW: no Riga2000 at the end....

I was told again that PSk Narva Intends to join the Latvian league. Perhaps there is something to this rumor.

I was told again that PSk Narva Intends to join the Latvian league. Perhaps there is something to this rumor.
    Well, I would still consider it as rather unbelievable, because most likely Energija Elektrenai won't be allowed to play, just in order to cut extra expenses for clubs hiring buses for those relatively long journeys to Lithuania.

In the same time, Narva is perhaps the furthest located Estonian city from the Latvian border.

(There have been no news, everything is circulating around the KHL these days)

when ever I talk to my hockey friends from Estonia the topic is brought up. I guess it's a wait and see situation in the Future. Great points however GX!!!!!

when ever I talk to my hockey friends from Estonia the topic is brought up. I guess it's a wait and see situation in the Future. Great points however GX!!!!!
    In the same time, I would definitely love to see them. In this particular moment, the bigger the league, the better.

Moreover, there was an Estonian team (HC Unistars Tallinn) in the U18 league last year. I wonder, how was that allowed?

Thread Information