Thread: Who bought Faceoff.ie

Who bought Faceoff.ie

Does anyone know who it is that bought the Irish Hockey Forum Site www.faceoff.ie and is it's continued absence an attempt to muzzle the ever growing disquiet and dissatisfaction within the Irish Ice Hockey Community.
    As a result there is nowhere to turn to for information on the future of our only rink closed for about a month now, nowhere for disgruntled top league players to air complaints about the poor value they received for their money this year, and little opportunity for teams to vent their concern about their reasons for their withdrawal from the league.
    And what has happined to www.iihl.ie ? When this forum, internationalhockey.net closed, I was really getting paranoid.
    Last edited by Mick; 07-06-2010 at 19:40. Reason: clarification

....rink closed?

Apparently for maintenance...

http://www.dundalkicedome.com/

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---
    "Night Watch", Terry Pratchett

Rumours abound that it is more permanent than that but without lines of communication one cannot be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Rumours abound that it is more permanent than that but without lines of communication one cannot be sure.
    The Dundalk Bulls' website has been offline for some time now, so it's got me wondering too. This would be really unfortunate, to say the least.
    What are the odds of Charlestown re-opening?

What would be the reasons behind it not re-opening? Has it been a failure commercially, not just with hockey, but skating in general?

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---

I'm honestly not sure how its doing financially. There has been words through the grapevine that its losing alot of money but thats all i can comment on.. We're just going to have to wait and see whats going to happen

oh.. make sure to visit http://www.irishicehockeyfanatics.com

I would be disappointed if it isn't being a commercial success. From my week in Dundalk, to be frank, there's not a great deal to do in the town. I certainly got the impression that it was a town that could do a lot with an ice rink...

Graham.
    ---

I strongly suspect that it is not closed for repair but that the electricity bill might be a problem and that in turn caused the ice to melt. I am sure Tony Kinsella has done all he can to save it, but was hampered by a partner who has a glittering array of failures behind him.
    Hopefully someone like Planet Ice from the UK might come in and take it over as a going concern.
    No reports of Charlestown being revived, not a trace of it remains in fact, but the need for a rink in Dublin is just as pressing as it has always been and we live in hope.

Mick, have you heard any word on proposed rink in coolock?

also it better open again because my gear is still in the rink

IHF Member
    As i stated back some time ago on irish hockey fanatics planet ice has taken over the dome as reported in the democrat last week .The are also looking at the plans for coleraine as well
    I think we all know who bought faceoff.ie .
    The whole thing is a debaucial , hopefully with planet ice coming in all teams will have a level playing field , and not have one team being subsidised to the detrement of the the game .

The Rink.

Can anyone in Dundalk advise if there have been any developments in the Ice Dome / Planet Ice saga.
    In keeping with tradition there is certainly no further news on the IIHA website about the rink since the announcement was originally posted way back in May.
    Meanwhile planning for the new season would seem to be pointless unless the winner is to be decided by playing NHL11 on XBox or PS3s.

It would be a pity if it dosnt reopen because there only problem is advertising. Very few people even know there is an irish ice hockey league and i know very few people who go ice skating on a regular basis. I would volunteer to put leaflets in doors etc etc because that is all it would take. IIHL games were free this year and Had people known im sure many would have gone and the bar would've done a great business. Simple measures would achive big results.
    Gerry

AGM This Weekend

AGM This Weekend.
    I hope to see you all at the Fairways Hotel Dundalk this weekend as the attendance last year was pitiful and if you don't take the trouble to turn up you hardly have the right to complain.

AGM This Weekend.
    I hope to see you all at the Fairways Hotel Dundalk this weekend as the attendance last year was pitiful and if you don't take the trouble to turn up you hardly have the right to complain.

I have just received 3 notifications in 10 minutes that the AGM will take place this weekend but it's seems very short notice only two days prior to the meeting. I have done my bit (having seen it on the website) to get the word out but it's not very inspiring if they have only thought of it now.
    It seems a little paranoid too to mention only now, that they want 24 hours notice of any issue, motion, or question to be brought up at the AGM. Is that fear I smell ?
    Three years on and the incorporation still has not taken place the Legal Eagle involved must see that as a nice little earner !
    Last edited by Mick; 28-07-2010 at 01:14.

yea its going to be good the attendance last year wasnt great but in saying that the previous two i have been at havent been greatly attended as it seems to be mainly 3 clubs that show up {bulls flyers and hawks} whilst the rest of them dont turn up and then wonder why none of their points were not listen to or taken up so you are right if you dont turn up you dont have a right to complain about the way things are ran
    Boston Bruins Stanley Cup Champions 2011

Motion for Transparency in the IIHA

On the subject of the AGM I have just emailed the following motion, as I am concerned about the lack of information forthcoming from the current Executive on such crucial issues as the futures of the Rink, the Sport, the only independant website where there was an opportunity to freely discuss developments - Faceoff.ie and the Association itself, the ongoing eligability of players from the North to play for Team Ireland, the failure to investigate the email tampering that went on, the trumped up charges of bringing the game into disrepute, and now it appears that attempts to find out just what is going on may be curtailed by the notice below....

**Any motions or questions to be put forward must be emailed to office@iiha.org no later than 11:59 pm on Saturday, 17th July 2010. Other questions will be taken on the day after each report given.

Due to the fact that
    1/ The membership have not been notified individually in a timely fashion by email, as agreed at a previous meeting,or as in section 12 of the proposed M&A which stipulates that 21 days notice in writing must be provided prior to any General Meeting,
    2/ The Financial Report for the Association for the current year has not been provided to the membership either on the website or by individual email in advance of the meeting scheduled for 18/07/2010,
    3/ The full details of, and amendments to, the proposed Memorandum and Articles have not been disclosed,
    4/ The minutes of the previous 2 - 2009General meetings had not been made available to the membership either individually or on the website. In the case of "The EGM" this was not done until 48 hours before the 2010 AGM, and not at all in the case of the 2009 AGM.
    Only minutes from the AGMs of 2007 and 2008 have been made public for any length of time, and as attendance at the crucial EGM was limited to 46 members which is approx. one seventh of the membership it is impossible for the vast majority of members to inform themselves of developments over the last year,
    5/ No reports of any kind by the committee have been provided in advance of this meeting as had been the case previously.
    6/ iiha.org has been a complete failure if its role was to keep the membership up to speed, and abreast of the latest developments. All of this has contributed to the plummeting interest in our sport to a point where only recreational hockey can hope to survive.

I wish to propose a motion that
    It is unfair, unhelpful and contrary to any spirit of transparency remaining in the IIHA, to ask the members to vote on anything that they have not been thoroughly advised of in advance, or had sufficient time to digest, and that any proposal, that is objected to from the floor on these grounds, should have it's vote deferred to a later general meeting scheduled for no sooner than seven days hence. Any attempt to do otherwise or to limit the justifiable concern of members for the future of the Sport, the Rink or the Association, must be viewed as an attempt to muzzle the membership and to exclude them from democratic involvement in their Association.

This motion is proposed by Mick Higgins on July 17th 2010.

The forum is open, they must just be transfering information or tranfering information from somewhere els.

Its a php bb forum, i hate them,
    they havnt even customised it

Quote Originally Posted by Viperdan View Post
    The forum is open, they must just be transfering information or tranfering information from somewhere els.
    Its been like that for months and the owner was trying to or has sold it........i think.
    Gerry

Its currently down, the hosting company has shut it down for lack of payement

Viperdan

Is it a waste of time?

Does anyone know who it is that bought the Irish Hockey Forum Site www.faceoff.ie and is it's continued absence an attempt to muzzle the ever growing disquiet and dissatisfaction within the Irish Ice Hockey Community.
    As a result there is nowhere to turn to for information on the future of our only rink closed for about a month now, nowhere for disgruntled top league players to air complaints about the poor value they received for their money this year, and little opportunity for teams to vent their concern about their reasons for their withdrawal from the league.
    And what has happined to www.iihl.ie ? When this forum, internationalhockey.net closed, I was really getting paranoid.
    Mick - as you know, I have been posting coaching tips on this forum for a couple of years now. Something that I enjoy, sharing some of my coaching tips with players from around the world.

About a month ago, someone on the forum, sent me a link about several positions available for coaching or managers, that are coming up in the IIHA.

They are:
    • U20 Head Coach
    • U20 Manager
    • Senior Women's Team Head Coach
    • Senior Women's Team Manager

So, being interested, I submitted for all four. Last week, I get an email for the President of the IIHA asking me to set up a phone interview for yesterday. Do to other commitments by the IIHA, I was called and asked to move this interview to next Wednesday. This is good because this will give me more time to do some research about what's going on over there.

I plan on writing him a long email tomorrow to provide him with more information on what it is I do for a living. Yes, I coach. From Mites to College. But my main forte is developing programs for Ice Rink Owners or Association.

While in Mexico (1993), I was invited by the Pumas of UNAM to help build a youth program from 80 kids ranging from 8 yr olds to 18 yr olds, to over 900 kids in under two years. Today, a lot of those Mexican Players, play on their senior team, a team in which you guys play against with in your international division.

I built the same kind of program for the Houston Aeros (IHL) back in 1997 from 80 or so kids to 600 players in 6 months. Yes it sound crazy, but that's what I do... I build programs.

Let me ask you this question. How many hockey players are playing right now in Ireland?
    Youth, Adult Men's League, and Adult Women's League?

I tried to count the numbers, but alot of the web links on the IIHA do not work, so I am unable to make a proper count of the total numbers playing.

If I could, I would like to help the IIHA, will all of the programs with in Ireland

Should I proceed with this...or is it a waste of my time?

Head coach
    Hundreds of FREE hockey drills at http://www.passthepuck.net

Head Coach - Please see my PM to you. Thanks Mick

Head Coach - Please see my PM to you. Thanks Mick
    Thank you for taking the time to write me on a PM. I did have this phone interview that I think went quite well. Now all I need to do is to get Planet Ice to hire me for that dome rink...that is, if they are going to buy it.

Head coach

So planet ice have officially taken over the dome yet?

Quote Originally Posted by carnie View Post
    I don't think so. I emailed the VP Director of Operations about the management position, but I have yet to hear from them. It's too bad, I would have loved to have been there to help out. I have until Wednesday of next week to hear from them.

If not, there's a good chance that I will be going to a Mexican Rink.

Head coach

it was planet ice that had the interview tho??
    Fingers crosses for ya mate, we need some new blood with tried and tested ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to write me on a PM. I did have this phone interview that I think went quite well. Now all I need to do is to get Planet Ice to hire me for that dome rink...that is, if they are going to buy it.

Head coach
    Reply PM sent in answer to your question. If I can be of any further help just let me know.

Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by carnie View Post
    So Willie's big announcement at the AGM was just all drama and no substance - the rink will not open in August -not this year anyway !
    Eamonn Convery of IHUK believes it is still on and only a VAT number away and the deal might go through in September.
    Too late for Head Coach who is off to Monterrey in Mexico.

Let's hope Eamonn knows what he is talking about.
    Carnie if I was you I would get my gear out now - It seems with the change of ownership everything in the building is assumed to belong to the new owners.
    Oh and while I am at it can someone from iiha.org please change the message that claims "Dundalk Ice Dome (Is)Temporarily Closed Due to Technical Difficulties" - we all know the nature of the "Technical Difficulty" and it's insulting our intelligence.

IHF Member

Ireland

Looks like IceDome is opening again:

http://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/dundal...-to.6496697.jp

I wonder how long it will last though

Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by PMC View Post
    Looks like IceDome is opening again:

http://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/dundal...-to.6496697.jp

I wonder how long it will last though
    Great ! Thanks for the headsup to those who do not read the Dundalk Papers. Planet Ice are a serious ice provider with a good and lengthy track record. Dum Spero Spero latin (Where there's life there's hope !)

Excellent news. Hopefully we'll get the IIHL season up and running fairly sharpish.

Does anyone know what planet ice's opinion in the hockey is...? Obviously they'll try to make the venue more popular but will be see IIHL A league hockey matches moved to after 9:30 to accomodate public skating similar to dundonald.

IHF Member
    No idea why it closed down the first time, but it seems likely that they just wern't making any money.
    I really think they would be better off building a new complex near the likes of Liffy Vally or Blanchardstown shopping center, at least then theres walk in customers. The IceDome isn't exactly in the best spot for this kind of thing.

Dundalk is ideally located for the ice hockey as it was half way between Belfast and Dublin. And it always has been an ambition to get one in Dublin anyway. But I don't think the previous Ice Dome owners worked hard enough to capitalise on the location.

The Aircoach stops right outside the ice dome and by bringing the faceoff forward from 8pm to 7pm on a saturday the matches should be over in time to allow people to get the aircoach in both directions home and it also mean that northern fans can also get the enterprise north after the match. Belfast has a knowledgable hockey fan base that could have made the trip regular if there was a little more encouragement.

I suppose advertising was an issue too, I spent a year working in newry and a lot of people didn't even know it existed. And a lot of people in dundalk didn't know anything about the ice hockey at all, especially that it was free.

IHF Member
    'Dundalk is ideally located for the ice hockey as it was half way between Belfast and Dublin.'

Thats a fair point Kevin, but do they charge into these matches? Realistically the Dome needs to be near a place where the average punters will walk in off the street, I assume thats where rink revenue comes from (and of course rink advertisng). Plonking it between two big cities and hoping the fans will travel from either one just wont generate the cash. You need a decent flow of people in and out the door.

I wish the folks at the Dome the best, but I hope they have a new angle to keep it afloat, otherwise we could see them shut again

Quote Originally Posted by KevinMc View Post
    Dundalk is ideally located for the ice hockey as it was half way between Belfast and Dublin. And it always has been an ambition to get one in Dublin anyway. But I don't think the previous Ice Dome owners worked hard enough to capitalise on the location.

The Aircoach stops right outside the ice dome and by bringing the faceoff forward from 8pm to 7pm on a saturday the matches should be over in time to allow people to get the aircoach in both directions home and it also mean that northern fans can also get the enterprise north after the match. Belfast has a knowledgable hockey fan base that could have made the trip regular if there was a little more encouragement.

I suppose advertising was an issue too, I spent a year working in newry and a lot of people didn't even know it existed. And a lot of people in dundalk didn't know anything about the ice hockey at all, especially that it was free.
    I have to agree with this. Nobody knew that there was a league or about the timetable for skating, even in Dundalk. i never once saw a poster or leaflet for the ice dome and admission was free for IIHL matches last year so they really should have made a bit more of an effort because their bar would have made a load. Overall i think they done an awful job with PR and advertising, A business like that should never have struggled like it did.
    Last edited by G Boy; 28-08-2010 at 14:52. Reason: Grammer
    Gerry

The reason I think Dundalk is so good from an ice hockey point of view is that is is half way between Dublin and Belfast with good transport links to both (up until about 9:30pm anyway) and if the hockey is to grow is status south of the border it WILL need a lot more interest from the northern ice hockey fans coming from Belfast.

When the Giants brought games just south of the border the amount of Giants fans that made the trip created an amazing atmosphere and it's this experience that will attract local dundalk families to the games.

If the ice dome was in Dublin there would be no chance of any Belfast fans making the trip that far for IIHL matches. In the IIHL's first season the Belfast Bruins had regular crowd of about 20 to 30 friends and family making the trip. Unfortunately hockey politics north of the border means very few giants fans even cared about the IIHL in the last few seasons and the situation in the ice dome didn't help. Another thing we have to remember is that as the hockey got established the initial fans from year one from all the teams moved from the stands to the IIHL DD, which is great but there wasn't enough done to sell the league as a free family event.

Also I walk regular from the train station to the ice dome and back so from the town it is within walking distance. It is surrounded by housing estates which should make it more likely to be filled with local dundalk families enjoying the sport.

I know opening the stands to fans for free ain't going to make lots of money but as far as I know the teams still buy the ice time....might be wrong though. But if it got more popular the food and drink takings in the snack bar would improve profits and teams could run raffles to help raise funds and pay for ice time and they'd have a better chance of getting more sponsors.

Eventually, once we've good crowds the IIHL A league should be €5adults in, kinds go free and free B league.

I seen a celtic cup game between the Bulls and the Dundee stars a couple of years ago and the people at the ice dome put on a really professional show. Dundalk is well able!

Quote Originally Posted by G Boy View Post
    I have to agree with this. Nobody knew that there was a league or about the timetable for skating, even in Dundalk. i never once saw a poster or leaflet for the ice dome and admission was free for IIHL matches last year so they really should have made a bit more of an effort because their bar would have made a load. Overall i think they done an awful job with PR and advertising, A business like that should never have struggled like it did.
    All games were advertised as being free in on the timetable and the website it was in fine bold print at the bottom of the time table's and on top and the bottom of the website. Also the bar never had an alcohol licence so they werent actually able to sell drink on the premise's which is why the bar was not open during games as people that were there never actually bought anything even when they ran drink promotion's they just sat there and watched game's so whats the point in paying staff to stay on when people coming in never bought anything it was just paying out more expene's and we have seen where that ended up with them being in debt and having to shut down
    Boston Bruins Stanley Cup Champions 2011

But advertising matches on the timetable and on the website is not enough. If they wanted to increase the amount of people that know about the ice dome they would have needed more external advertisement. When the circus comes to town every shop window and nearly every lamppost in dundalk and newry has a poster up. This is the stort of advertisement the ice dome would have needed to do for the start if the IIHL season for the message to get out, it would also let people know that there is a rink in dundalk, that may get more interest for public skating too. There are lots of people from just north of the border that still think Dundonald is the only rink on the island of Ireland.

Eventually they would need to get the drink license sorted but probably not until it's got a steady regular crowd.

Kevin, I suspect that you'd have more of a regular crowd if you had a drink license. They might show up for the drink alone to start with, then take an interest in the games as they spent more time there.

Of course, advertisement is key. Newspaper ads, lamppost flyers, storefront flyers, partnerships with local businesses... there's a lot of footwork to be done, and it sounds from what you guys are saying that the old management was afraid or unwilling to do it.
    But there's absolutely no reason that the business can't be successful.

Yeah I'm sure a drinks license might help a little but only if they had proper stewards stopping people bringing their own as well.

In season 1 I loved going to the learn to skate and staying for the B league game on wed evening and having a wee pint and people tend to get into the spirit of things when they're oiled up a little. But even when the bar was open for A league games their was as many people in the stands drinking alcohol that they brought in than those drinking pints from the bar. Perhaps thats another reason why the dome was not as successful as it could have been.

On the other hand if you stop people bring all food and drink in then you put off parents from bringing large families as buying snacks etc really puts the price of the evening up. Even the odyssey turn a blind eye to people bringing stuff into giants games even though it says on the ticket no food and drink can be brought into the arena and they do search bags at concerts.

Sure Kevin, but let's look at the way things are run here in Ottawa (just as an example).

In the case of an arena where there is a bar/restaurant:
    People are allowed to bring in snacks, and non-alcoholic beverages. Those are also sold at the snack bars for those people who prefer to buy on-site.
    However, the only place where alcohol is allowed to be consumed is within the boundaries of the licensed bar within the building.

If there's no bar, there's no alcohol allowed.

You don't have to stop everything from coming in, just the alcohol. It makes sense from a business perspective, and in our case here there are bylaws restricting consumption in public (I don't know if it's the same in Dundalk).

Yeah have to agree with you Steigs the best of both worlds would be allow people to bring snacks and soft drinks and ensure that only alcohol bought on the premises can be consumed inside. But that would still involved the ice dome actively searching and removing alcohol from fans as they enter the bulding. As far as I know a lot of the game day staff are Bulls team members or volunteers so they would have to be willing to do this or the dome would have to pay for an external security company. At one stage when the Hawks fans got a little overexcited and threw argos catalogues on the ice I remember people saying that some of the stewards were juniors.

I've always thought the IIHA missed the boat not setting up an offical Team Ireland/IIHL supporters club back in the initial season after the 2007 championships. It would have been a great way to get fans from all teams involved in the league and help organise game day crew as well as fundraising events etc. It would have brought Dundalk and Dundonald alot closer. And the IIHL and Ice Dome could have worked together to organise volunteers for each of the IIHL games.

Thread Information