Croatia (from qualification)

Group D
    Great Britain
    Brazil
    Japan
    Argentina (from qualification)

IIHF site about the tournament
    Tournament website

All matches on the tournament can be seen live on this site.

After looking through the first day's scores and skimming the team rosters while I was on the site, I've come to the conclusion that the inline world championships are a bit of a joke...
    Argentina qualified straight to the tournament because they had no challengers. I have no issue with that as such but, what happens if neither Brazil nor Argentina is relegated? Does Europe then get two qualification spots?

More importantly though, has anyone noticed how nearly every roster (75% of them at any rate) is populated almost entirely by ice hockey players (Canada sent a mix Junior "A"/"B" team, by the way, with two minor-pros to reinforce)? Do these guys actually play inline club hockey, or do they just show up for an extra competition with the national team? It bothers me a bit, all the more so that I'm not sure how to fix these couple problems...
    Last edited by Steigs; 29-06-2010 at 03:44.

I actually called one of the reps for Canadian Inline hockey, he was on the last gold medal team that Canada sent, before Canada left. I think his organization is purely inline and I had a couple of questions about the difference from the one that Canada participates that are mostly inline skaters to this one that's mostly inlinke/hockey players from Canada. I did some research that day, but honestly I forgot everything I research mostly. All I can verify is that from my research, is these championships are a joke Steigs. I think there's another world championship that's not sponsored by the IIHF and that's the better one.

I still prefer street hockey and ball hockey. Going to join a inter mural or beer league this year along with ice hockey.

http://www.isbhf.com/en/
    Last edited by kun; 29-06-2010 at 11:05.

IHF Member
    Croatian inline hockey is in its infancy. Two years ago, inline hockey was played only on the parking lots. Now we have a league with ten teams who mostly field active or former senior and junior hockey players, but there are some native inline players as well.

For some time inline clubs considered to join the FIRS, but Croatian Roller Federation is even less organised than hockey one, so they stuck with IIHF. The fact that most players play on ice certainly influenced this decision.

Croatian national team is still 100% composed of hockey players and it will be some time before some native inline player developes to reach the national team.

Quote Originally Posted by kun View Post
    I still prefer street hockey and ball hockey. Going to join a inter mural or beer league this year along with ice hockey.

http://www.isbhf.com/en/
    The only thing I don't really like about what they do is how lax they are on eligibility compared to the IIHF. That said, every sport federation has different rules on it.

Maybe Armenia should be doing ISBHF
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

I guess the reason why you see a ton of ice players playing roller is because, they're really the same. The stopping mechanics are the same, there's offsides, and it allows for more puck possession. Also, you can play with a hybrid puck, so it's not too bad to play with; you can play with a ball, like I do. Still though, it'd be nice to see more roller players playing at these tournaments. Give the predominantly roller hockey players a chance to shine, though some countries probably can't draw a high enough demographic to do so.
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

You can't have Roller hockey without Icehockey. Most Ice players have at some point played Roller in the off season. There is no way around it . And what are you going to say :"you are a "Ice Hockey" Player you can't compete in inline hockey?" I play both and when I tell people I just say I play hockey. Canada mostly selects from Inline players in there inline Federation. However just look at Brett leggat although most of his success is in Inline Hockey He does play for a very good Ice team the Dundas Real Mccoys. Canada's version of a Minor league team. I guess what I'm trying to say is Inline and Ice Hockey You realy can't draw a line and say either your inline or Ice Because it would be Impossible.
    Last edited by DANGER-MAN; 02-07-2010 at 22:14.

Quote Originally Posted by DANGER-MAN View Post
    You can't have Roller hockey without Icehockey. Most Ice players have at some point played Roller in the off season. There is no way around it . And what is going to say you are a "Ice Hockey" Player you can't compete in inline hockey? I play both and when I tell people I just say I play hockey. Canada mostly selects from Inline players in there inline Federation. However just look at Brett leggat although most of his success is in Inline Hockey He does play for a very good Ice team the Dundas Real Mccoys. Canada's version of a Minor league team. I guess what I'm trying to say is Inline and Ice Hockey You realy can't draw a line and say either your inline or Ice Because it would be Impossible.
    Yup, both ice and roller help each other out. Your skills with your hands increase in roller, and it helps in ice. See Itan Chavira as an example.
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

There is the Firs Championship that has other countrys do compete . keep in mind the goal nets in the FIRS are quite abit smaller then those in the IIHF. I think they are both good championships. The Inline hockey Championships seam to be an after thought for the IIHF they make there bread and Butter on the Ice. Inline is Kinda like the ugly little stepsister that got shut in the closet so no one would see her. In the Firs it' one of their main events but because they are so much smaller it does not get the Promotion it needs to grow. Kinda a big fish in a little pond(Firs): or a little fish in a big pound.(IIHF)

Quote Originally Posted by DANGER-MAN View Post
    The Inline hockey Championships seam to be an after thought for the IIHF they make there bread and Butter on the Ice. Inline is Kinda like the ugly little stepsister that got shut in the closet so no one would see her.
    I remember reading an IIHF press release quite a few years ago that they wanted to add a women's and U18 or U20 tournaments for inline but that still hasn't come to fruition so its safe to assume those were probably shelved.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

Yeah Firs has both a Womens and a U18 championship. Again they are too small to make the Hype. Then if the IIHF Hyped it a bit more and added those tournaments to their Resume it would be Huge for inline. Keep in mind back when the IIHF Inline World Championships started All sorts of Countrys competed, Russia, Switzerland,Italy,. The IIHF Slowed the Hype on inline and By 2000. those countrys dropped out. Switzerland,Italy, moved over to Firs aswell as a few country that never competed in the IIHF Inline tournament .(They Include Spain,France, Mexico,South Korea,China,Venezuela,Iraq.) It would never happen but it's too bad they would never Merge the tournaments to 1 big super tournament. Maybe Inline would get the Respect it needs. And escape the Stigma as only being a childrens game.

After loss against Austria in Division 1 finals Croatia took home silver medal. Nice job boys !
    2011/2012. - 50th Anniversary of KHL Medveščak Zagreb !

Hungarian national team ice hockey goaltender Kristian Budai played inline for Hungary at this event.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    Hungarian national team ice hockey goaltender Kristian Budai played inline for Hungary at this event.

As did perennial national team defenseman Viktor Tokaji who was selected the tournament's best defenseman.

Thread Information