Thread: The Hockey News article

The Hockey News article

Hi all, I was surfing The Hockey News' website, when I found this article about a claim that the Canadian Hockey League is good for European players. I know the writers there aren't as knowledgeable as we are here, so I thought that this would be good for a discussion. Here's the link: http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...xperience.html.
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

Dude is missing one key point in that article.
    While he points out the top players from the Slovak team, and that these top players play against other top Canadian players, he's missing the fact that now OTHER players in those countries (especially Czech and Slovakia) are now NOT getting the opportunity to play against and with top players. So a late bloomer from one of those nations will NOT get the opportunity to develop and bloom, because he will NOT have the strong developmental structure around him to help him grow.
    And if you don't think that having top players around you can help you grow into a star after age 19 (at which point you're unlikely to be drafted), I would point to one guy who I think you could label a superstar, a guy who's been taking part in the World Hockey Summit, a guy who's scored more points in the NHL since 2001 than any other NHL player, a guy who was drafted at age 22 after developing in Swedish junior and senior hockey leagues... yes, Daniel Alfredsson.
    Think he's the only one that could do that? Well, in the cases of Czech and Slovak hockey, where the domestic junior leagues have been bled dry by the CHL, we'll never really know will we.

To sum all this up: Ryan Kennedy is an idiot. Or a fool. Take your pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    Dude is missing one key point in that article.
    While he points out the top players from the Slovak team, and that these top players play against other top Canadian players, he's missing the fact that now OTHER players in those countries (especially Czech and Slovakia) are now NOT getting the opportunity to play against and with top players. So a late bloomer from one of those nations will NOT get the opportunity to develop and bloom, because he will NOT have the strong developmental structure around him to help him grow.
    And if you don't think that having top players around you can help you grow into a star after age 19 (at which point you're unlikely to be drafted), I would point to one guy who I think you could label a superstar, a guy who's been taking part in the World Hockey Summit, a guy who's scored more points in the NHL since 2001 than any other NHL player, a guy who was drafted at age 22 after developing in Swedish junior and senior hockey leagues... yes, Daniel Alfredsson.
    Think he's the only one that could do that? Well, in the cases of Czech and Slovak hockey, where the domestic junior leagues have been bled dry by the CHL, we'll never really know will we.

To sum all this up: Ryan Kennedy is an idiot. Or a fool. Take your pick.
    I would have gone with not knowledgeable about international hockey, but you probably covered the bases
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

Quote Originally Posted by Conesy View Post
    Hi all, I was surfing The Hockey News' website, when I found this article about a claim that the Canadian Hockey League is good for European players.
    I agree, it is good for those that play in it. Unfortunately, as a side affect, read Steigs' entire post. When we look at what the CHL has done to the Czech and Slovak junior leagues, where there is a limited number of players to begin with, it is helping divide the talent pool and may lead to a situation that countries just outside the Big 7 are currently in, where a select number of star players are tied to NHL teams and often unavailable for national team games.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

Quote Originally Posted by Trim View Post
    I agree, it is good for those that play in it.
    I would say that it is good for those who play in it AND go on to have a good North American career.

For those who play in it and discover that they aren't good enough to get a NA pro contract, I believe it is detrimental since their absence has made the league that they were leaving, and now returning to, weaker.

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---
    "Night Watch", Terry Pratchett

I agree with what Steigs said, but I personally also feel that the motion that it´s good or even the best for the players who actually play in the CHL, because they play with and against the best Canadian and some of the best American junior players is not 100% right. Now, I´m speaking especially about the young Czechs, because while they play alongside and against the best junior players in the world in the CHL, it should not be forgotten that these players are still junior. With all respect to these players and the league, that can hardly beat and be better than playing against and especially alongside the likes of Robert Reichel, Martin Straka, David Vıbornı or Dominik Hašek just to name a few ad learning from them.
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

See you in 2019...perhaps...

Thread Information