Thread: Future of World Hockey Tournaments

Future of World Hockey Tournaments

So after watching the summit i have seen the suggestions from players, coaches, and fans for the future of world hockey here are the ones i have heard, some are interesting others, i find crazy. They will all be in 4 year cycles, (tho i did hear a couple which said 6, or 8 year cycles?? )

#1:
    year 1:Olympics
    year 2:IIHF WC
    year 3:World Cup
    year 4:IIHF WC

#2:
    year 1:Olympics
    year 2:World Cup
    year 4:World Cup
    *eliminate IIHF WC

#3:
    year 1:IIHF WC
    year 2:(nothing)
    year 4:(nothing)
    *eliminate olympics, or turn olympics hockey tourny into u23 event like football, making it useless for actual top hockey competition.

#4:
    year 2:(nothing)
    year 3:IIHF WC
    year 4:(nothing)
    *eliminate olympics, or turn olympics hockey tourny into u23 event like football, making it useless for actual top hockey competition.

#5:
    year 2:World Cup
    year 4:World Cup

#6:
    year 2:World Cup, IIHF WC
    year 4:World Cup, IIHF WC

the elimination of the olympics is interesting. since the olympics is begging for the nhl players to come ( it is by far the most money making event in winter olympics, as we saw 60-80 million peopled watched the final over the globe). it is the players who have the power. if like in football they turn it into a u23 event they can focus on real competitions which are only hockey.

personally my favorite is #3 if both tournaments were after the nhl playoffs, and if the world cup became a IIHF event.

then it would be like football which has done very well with a tournament every other year (world cup, uefa euro)
    ***СЛАЯ***

3 isn't a bad proposal... I don't like the eliminating the IHWC ideas, though - what happens to D1, D2, D3 then?

If they switch to Olympics - Nothing - IHWC - Nothing, perhaps even better would be: IHWC - Oly Qual - Oly - Regional Championship (European, Asian).

I don't care what they do, really, so long as there is still meaningful competition for the non-elite national teams, because that's the only way hockey will develop there - and the chance to get promoted to play with the elite is what will really develop exposure in those countries... Hungary getting into the elite pool I think did a huge amount for the exposure of hockey to the Hungarian public, probably the same for Slovenia, too...

Hockey will always be around, and popular, in Canada, Russia, Finland, Sweden... I just hope that they really think about what happens to the other countries - Hungary, Romania, Croatia, Koreas, etc - in whatever they decide. A Canada Cup-style World Cup would do absolutely zero for development and promotion of hockey worldwide.

IHF Member
    I like # 1 the best of the options listed, but I would add a IIHF WC every year.
    So it would look like this:
    Year 1: Olympics and IIHF WC
    Year 2: IIHF WC
    Year 3: World Cup and IIHF WC
    Year 4: IIHF WC

This would allow for the IIHF WC to be held every year which would allow the IIHF to earn the necessary funds to continue the full range of tournaments for all levels of competition, with promotion and relegation every year.

Then if the NHL uses what little brains they have and allow an Olympic break every four years and the World Cup is held in September, there would be two "best-vs-best" competitions every four years where all NHL players would be available.

The IIHF would have to accept the fact that in the Olympic year not all of the players that participated in the Olympics would be willing to play in the IIHF WC, so for that year of the cycle the IIHF competition at the top level may be a little weaker than in the other years.

In my ideal world (and I know this will never happen) the NHL would reduce its schedule to 70 games, or even 60 games. This would be the best solution for the health and promotion of hockey world wide. But since it would reduce NHL revenues, greed will not allow this to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by archiver View Post
    I like # 1 the best of the options listed, but I would add a IIHF WC every year.
    So it would look like this:
    Year 1: Olympics and IIHF WC
    Year 2: IIHF WC
    Year 3: World Cup and IIHF WC

This would allow for the IIHF WC to be held every year which would allow the IIHF to earn the necessary funds to continue the full range of tournaments for all levels of competition, with promotion and relegation every year.

Then if the NHL uses what little brains they have and allow an Olympic break every four years and the World Cup is held in September, there would be two "best-vs-best" competitions every four years where all NHL players would be available.

The IIHF would have to accept the fact that in the Olympic year not all of the players that participated in the Olympics would be willing to play in the IIHF WC, so for that year of the cycle the IIHF competition at the top level may be a little weaker than in the other years.

In my ideal world (and I know this will never happen) the NHL would reduce its schedule to 70 games, or even 60 games. This would be the best solution for the health and promotion of hockey world wide. But since it would reduce NHL revenues, greed will not allow this to happen.
    Seconded, on all parts.

Well said, archiver.

Though a converse option might be to merge the Olympic competition with the IHWC in Olympic years, perhaps?

And if the NHL cut down to even a 76 game schedule, and shifted to a September regular season start, and, instead of waiting for a certain day to start the next round of playoffs, as soon as the two teams that will meet are ready to play each other, they play, after a max of two days off after the conclusion of the longer of the two series... then I think the Stanley Cup could be handed out on or before June 1 each year, allowing for IHWC to happen in mid or late June...

great sharing..

something like this..

Year 1: Olympics ( no IHWC )
    Year 2: IHWC / nothing / or some euro tourney / more attention to lower divisions or something
    Year 3: World Cup ( played in spring/summer, after the NHL season or something )

oh, and my english is rusty after the summer :D

IHF Member
    No nothing should be changed, its good this way.

I like Archiver's idea way better than all of the other options.

Thread Information