Thread: Ladislav Harabin

Ladislav Harabin

Manchester Phoenix just signed defenceman Ladislav Harabin from HK Spisska Nova Ves and I was wondering if I could get an informed opinion on what type of player we're getting over here. Bear in mind the standard of league isn't great - Ondrej Lauko was barely a point-per-game player in the Slovakian second tier and scored 63 goals and 111pts in 54 games last season, so I'd probably equate it to the Slovakian third tier.

I should add that what I'm looking for is accounts from people who have actually seen him play, I've got plenty of info from stats websites but I'd like a first-hand opinion.
    Last edited by mattski93; 03-09-2010 at 14:42.

Harabin before signing by Manchester was tested by ComArch Cracovia.
    Bo gdyby, ach gdyby wszystko na tym świecie dało się rostrzygać na lodowiskach, w trzech tercjach, kijem i krążkiem, to nie tylko wszak kanadyjskim zawodowcom z NHL, nie tylko wiarołomnym antysocjalistycznym Czechom, ale całemu światu, ba, nawet duszmanom z Pandższiru, Heratu i Kandaharu spuściłaby tęgi a druzgocący wpierdol hokejowa reprezentacja ZSRR, a w jej składzie Ragulin, Fetisow, Kasatonow oraz, bladź, Kapustin, Golikow i Malcew.

Andrzej Sapkowski, "Żmija"

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattski93 View Post
    Manchester Phoenix just signed defenceman Ladislav Harabin from HK Spisska Nova Ves and I was wondering if I could get an informed opinion on what type of player we're getting over here. Bear in mind the standard of league isn't great - Ondrej Lauko was barely a point-per-game player in the Slovakian second tier and scored 63 goals and 111pts in 54 games last season, so I'd probably equate it to the Slovakian third tier.

I should add that what I'm looking for is accounts from people who have actually seen him play, I've got plenty of info from stats websites but I'd like a first-hand opinion.
    He spent two years in HC Csíkszereda and played with them in the Hungarian League and Mol Liga. He arrived after a serious injury which forced him to skip the entire 2006-2007 season. HC Csíkszereda was an ambitious project, and in the first season they started with more than a dozen slovakian players. Not many of them remained at the club, but Harabin was among the few. In his second season in Csíkszereda (2008-2009) he became the best defender of the team along with the Estonian Dimitry Suur. He is a powerful and calm player (I mean he knows what to do when he possesses the puck), I don't remember a single critical mistake from him. He was good in defence and in attack as well, as a defender, he had a point per match average in MOL Liga. Okay, it is not as good as Slovakian Extraliga, but still not easy to score 27 points on 26 matches as a defender.

IHF Member
    Ladislav Harabin was member of Slovakia U20 team in 1999, Slovakia won WJC bronze medal. Then he was long time injured. More about him - google translator

I am from Poprad where he was born, really talented boy, he was always "ruining" one of our main rivals - Zvolen, and when he ended here as a junior, they bought him. it was like they wanted him on own side, cuz it was so hard to take over him. but also it seemed they want to push him down, he was not playing as much as he could and so, then the injuries... after the knee surgery he went to Romania as you can read in the article, and always when he got back home and his old mates from team asked him if he want to play in Poprad again, he said he is no more good enough for extraliga because of that leg. I was happy to see him playing in Spisska Nova Ves, I liked him very much in those years he played as young player in Poprad, and I am sure he'll do his best in the new team!

Thread Information