Thread: New Austrian national team logo

IHF Member

new Austria national team logo

Just noticed the new uniforms and logo for Team Austria in the World Championships...I really like it!! When I saw it the first thing I thought about was "is the IIHF slowly becoming more accepting of agressive-looking logos?". I was reminded of a thread Graham started a while back where he was talking about a Great Britain jersey that was banned for being too agressive-looking. Now let's compare the new Austria logo to that GB jersey...not the same level of agressiveness (it's all about the teeth showing!) but who knows, perhaps the IIHF is beginning to soften its stance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

IHF Staff
    In Austria there's a lot of people who are not too happy with the new jerseys. Although the design itself looks good, there is a major problem - the eagle. The Austrian eagle or "Bundesadler" (federal eagle, sounds quite stupid in english) is a golden eagle and therefore doesn't have a white head. Although the jersey features the eagle as it is on the federal crest (placed on the shoulders) the eagle head on the chest should be the right one as well.

And somehow I miss the old jerseys, the ones with the capital A on it, which was a trademark of the Austrian chamber of commerce used to brand products of Austrian origin. The irony in this was that there were times when a good part of the players wearing this A were defintively not of Austrian origin. Although they were not very special they had a real tradition being used for more than 25 years.

IHF Member
    thanks for the info RexKramer! I've noticed a few new jersey designs in this tournament, most notably Austria, Latvia and Denmark. One would likely assume these changes were made with one main purpose: sell more jerseys. Which means that for collectors like myself, a jersey like Austria which was very difficult to get before, will now become much easier to purchase.

About the new Austria jersey/logo: do you think it's being well-received by the younger generation?

IHF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by BelarusRikk
    thanks for the info RexKramer! I've noticed a few new jersey designs in this tournament, most notably Austria, Latvia and Denmark. One would likely assume these changes were made with one main purpose: sell more jerseys. Which means that for collectors like myself, a jersey like Austria which was very difficult to get before, will now become much easier to purchase.

About the new Austria jersey/logo: do you think it's being well-received by the younger generation?
    Hey, I'm 31!!!

Basically I think the new design is good. The old one was surely less fancy but it was something special due to the long time it was used.
    If they correct the eagle mistake I'd say its top.

Btw, if you want one and have trouble to get just let me know and I'll help you!

RK

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RexKramer
    Hey, I'm 31!!!

Basically I think the new design is good. The old one was surely less fancy but it was something special due to the long time it was used.
    If they correct the eagle mistake I'd say its top.

Btw, if you want one and have trouble to get just let me know and I'll help you!

RK
    sorry, by "younger generation" I basically meant "20 and under" :) And thanks for the offer, I just might take you up on that!

IHF Member
    Nike designed new jerseys for every national team except Canada.

I don't like the eagle on Austria's jersey. I would prefer the one on the shoulder. I really like Germany's new jersey ... Denmark is nice as well.

Does anyone know why it says Austria on their jerseys? Shouldn't it say Österreich?
    :653: Do the hat dance.

IHF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatman
    Does anyone know why it says Austria on their jerseys? Shouldn't it say Österreich?
    you're right. every country that has its name written on the jersey has the name in the natuional language. Austria is the only exception. I suppose it has to do with the old jerseys. As mentioned before they featured a capital A on the chest, which was a logo for Austrian products. The crossbar of this A was in fact the word Austria, so probably the Austria on the new jersey is a continuation of that.

The only other country I can think of is China. Maybe Japan too.

Japan no longer has it's name on the jersey, but certainly used to. Hungary also have their country names in English on the jerseys. Not sure about Romania. They pretty much spell it the same way, but with a circumflex about the first A. Wouldn't swear to it, but I don't think the jersey has the circumflex above it.

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---
    "Night Watch", Terry Pratchett

I believe Norway spells it in English, too!?
    Anyway when you think of it, it's not a rage situation...

Norway no longer has the country name on the jerseys. They only have their federation logo, which has Norwegian text in it.

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---

IHF Member
    I suspect that Norway will have a new jersey when they appear in Pool 'A' next year.

Now that I think of it, Finland has it in Finnish and Swedish? on their jerseys. That is, I think Finland in Swedish is Finland. But it says Finland on the logo part. I find this very strange. Didn't it used to say Suomi on the logo? Why did they change it?

IHF Member
    Isn't Finland bi-lingual - Swedish and Finnish?

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
    Isn't Finland bi-lingual - Swedish and Finnish?
    Yes it is. But why have one language in the logo, and the other in a big lettering below it? And, "Finland" is what it says in the logo, which is also used as their federation logo.

IHF Member

IIHF

Yup!

Finland in English or Swedish is Finland

Suomi is Finnish for Finland.

In the early years, Norway had NORGE written on the front.

Other non-top division countries with their names on the jerseys are:

Belgium
    South Korea (as Korea)
    Estonia (Eesti)
    Lithuania (Lietuva)
    Mexico
    Spain (Espana)
    Armania
    Bulgaria
    China
    Croatia (Hrvatska)
    Netherlands (Nederland)

Written on the lower back of their shirt:
    - Romania
    - Australia
    - Ireland

I may have missed a few...

lost meaning

Now while most of the members of IHG recognize the significance of the eagle on the jersey, I think some (especially outside of Europe) will look upon it like a club jersey without the sponsors. I think the same harkens for the Slovenian jersey. But what do I know, I'm a goalie! :stupid:

Quote Originally Posted by Hatman
    Now that I think of it, Finland has it in Finnish and Swedish? on their jerseys. That is, I think Finland in Swedish is Finland. But it says Finland on the logo part. I find this very strange. Didn't it used to say Suomi on the logo? Why did they change it?
    Yes it's in Finnish and Swedish/English.. Me too wonders why in the logo it's not in Finnish anymore - for me it'd look better that way :scratchhe

(\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Even coming from the country of origin for the language, I despair at the prevailance of English around the globe. I DON'T WANT TO LIVE IN A HOMOGENIZED WORLD!

:rant:

Graham.
    ---

IHF Member
    Austria's jersey this year was ugly with that eagle on the front. I have a feeling they will have a new style next season.

I think Bauer Nike Hockey (who designed the jerseys) made all the jerseys look to North American with fancy logos and such.

I think Bauer Nike Hockey (who designed the jerseys) made all the jerseys look to North American with fancy logos and such.[/QUOTE]

Personally I think that it wasn't too bad, though I like the newer logos in general

IHF Member
    AUT jerseys might remain keep the legendary "A" on jerseys instead of those logos, especialy this new which is total copy of British one....Why...

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canadiangoalie View Post
    Now while most of the members of IHG recognize the significance of the eagle on the jersey, I think some (especially outside of Europe) will look upon it like a club jersey without the sponsors. I think the same harkens for the Slovenian jersey. But what do I know, I'm a goalie! :stupid:
    I'm not too sure I understood it right, but Slovenia has official logo of hockey federation on the jersey. Sure it's a bobcat, but it's still the logo.

Thread Information