Thread: NHL Transfer agreement loopholes

NHL Transfer agreement loopholes

There has been an uproar in Swedish hockey the last couple of days regarding a loophole in the new NHL Transfer agreement that was signed this spring.

The focal point is Swedish defender Johan Fransson. In April he signed a 5-year contract with Luleň HF, in the Swedish Elitserien. Luleň did not get to keep him for long though as he was contracted by Los Angeles Kings to a 1-year contract in June.

It is now clear that he will not take a place in Kings this year and has stated that he does not want to play in Manchester Monarchs in AHL. The NHL Transfer Agreement states that a player with a valid contract outside NHL should return there after the NHL contract expires or is terminated.

Luleň had hoped that Fransson would join the team now that he will not play in LA Kings. However, in order to circumvent the transfer agreement, the Kings has agreed to loan Fransson to SKA St. Petersburg in KHL for the remainder of the season. As Fransson is still under contract with Los Angeles Kings, he is not obligated to return to Luleň.

This may be according to the letter of the transfer agreement, but as far as Swedish hockey is concerned it is violating the intent of the agreement. The president of the Swedish Hockeyligan (organising the 12 Elitserien clubs) has contacted the NHL regarding this matter.

Articles:

Aftonbladet
    Dagens Nyheter
    Norrbottens-Kuriren
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

This is rather interesting. SKA homepage says that they have signed (not loaned) Fransson for a 2 year contract which 1 year more that his contract with Kings.
    Taro Tsujimoto, the greatest NHL player ever!

That Fransson now has signed with SKA St. Petersburg has hardly been noticed yet here, only by a couple hockey blogs. They both wonder what will happen now as this is clearly not a loan anymore, you can't loan someone out for 2 seasons when you only have a 1 year contract with the player.

I really _really_ wonder why Fransson signed a 5-year deal with Luleň earlier this year if he does not want to play for them...

IHF Member

Great Britain

As far as I can make out this all falls on the players head... Lulea should be taking him to court and getting their money back, as soon as he signed for SKA it had nothing to do with the LA Kings nor the NHL.

Should SKA be signing a player who is already contracted to Lulea? Again its the player at fault in my opinion, he knew he was contracted to the Swedish outfit and should never have signed for SKA.

With SKA in the picture it does make me wonder how many "secret" deals went un-recorded into this (and other deals). But still, to me, the buck stops at Fransson.

CJ.

Quote Originally Posted by FromDurham View Post
    As far as I can make out this all falls on the players head... Lulea should be taking him to court and getting their money back, as soon as he signed for SKA it had nothing to do with the LA Kings nor the NHL.

Should SKA be signing a player who is already contracted to Lulea? Again its the player at fault in my opinion, he knew he was contracted to the Swedish outfit and should never have signed for SKA.

With SKA in the picture it does make me wonder how many "secret" deals went un-recorded into this (and other deals). But still, to me, the buck stops at Fransson.

CJ.
    I'm pretty sure that there is no money loss involved for Lulea on Franssons salary expense or anything that is directly connected to him.

As for SKA, they are not obliged to know what kind of contracts the players they want to sign are under. Because it's not the SKA that is breaking the contract, it's the player so that is his problem.

I just have one question. How the hell does he get an ITC!? This looks like a job for IIHF to sort out, but as far as I've heard they haven't said anything. Then again there might be some underwater rocks or things that we don't hear about.

Quote Originally Posted by itry View Post
    I just have one question. How the hell does he get an ITC!?
    According to this article in Aftonbladet, Luleň refuses to sign Fransson's transfer card. They hope that a solution can be reached, which I think means that they want compensation from SKA St. Petersburg to release Fransson from his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennison View Post
    According to this article in Aftonbladet, Luleň refuses to sign Fransson's transfer card. They hope that a solution can be reached, which I think means that they want compensation from SKA St. Petersburg to release Fransson from his contract.
    I find it rather interesting that nothing about this is written in Russian media. (At least I haven't seen anything)

Also, what does Lulea translate to in English?

Quote Originally Posted by itry View Post
    I find it rather interesting that nothing about this is written in Russian media. (At least I haven't seen anything)

Also, what does Lulea translate to in English?
    Another article today in Aftonbladet. The main point is that IIHF supports Luleň's claim that their contract with Fransson is valid.

The name Luleň comes from the Sami name for the Lule river, luleja.

Thread Information